Thread: Which size Brute Force sandbag to order? page

en2ec is offline Senior Member

Which size Brute Force sandbag to order?

Shop Now
    I'm planning to order a Brute Force sandbag, but I haven't trained with a sandbag before, so I don't know which to order.

I'm 5'8", 42, 200 pounds (down from 280 a year ago). I haven't squatted in a while, but the last time I did it seriously, I was doing around 220 pounds, 3x5 in a barbell back squat.

I primarily do kettlebells now. I can swing a 20 kg bell (also double 12 kg), but I haven't tried to clean a 20. I can clean and press a 16 kg one. For things like a windmills, I stick to a 12 kg bell -- I have some shoulder issues.

I'd like to be able to do lots of different kinds of exercises with the sandbag. I'm leaning toward the strongman so that I can do heavy squats and deadlifts. But for other exercises like overhead press, I won't be able to go so heavy. My concern is that if I use only 1 internal bag in the strongman, will it be too loose and floppy? I know that's a big reason to use sandbags in the first place, but too floppy is probably counterproductive.

I live in Europe but will be coming home to the US for a visit in a few weeks. I need make the right choice now because I won't be able to exchange it.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Definitely get the Strongman - the Athlete will be far too small for you. The Strongman works well with just a single filler bag too so no worries there. The only other thing to consider is whether you want to go for a Heavy Hitter instead. It doesn't have handles so pulling movements are more of a challenge but it'll make you work a lot harder for many of the lifts.

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Coach Palfrey. I'll get the strongman. I'd like to work up to the Heavy Hitter, but I think for now the Strongman will be plenty heavy enough for me.

By the way, I'm also going to get your training guide on Kindle.

Dickson is online now Member
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but I also just purchased your Kindle book and was about to build my own sandbag, but realized it may just be easier to buy a well-made one. I'm a bit bigger than en2ec at 6'3 230lbs, but not as strong (275lb deadlift/160lb back squat/120lb OHP with barbells). I'm considering the Heavy Hitter for the price point and the ability for progressive overload, but will the lack of handles be too much to start out with?

I also have the downside of no garage (I live in a 2nd story condo), so would the strongman be easier to change the weight around without having to dump out sand?

Quote Originally Posted by en2ec View Post
    Thanks Coach Palfrey. I'll get the strongman. I'd like to work up to the Heavy Hitter, but I think for now the Strongman will be plenty heavy enough for me.

By the way, I'm also going to get your training guide on Kindle.
    Thank you - feel free to drop me a message if you get any more questions.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but I also just purchased your Kindle book and was about to build my own sandbag, but realized it may just be easier to buy a well-made one. I'm a bit bigger than en2ec at 6'3 230lbs, but not as strong (275lb deadlift/160lb back squat/120lb OHP with barbells). I'm considering the Heavy Hitter for the price point and the ability for progressive overload, but will the lack of handles be too much to start out with?

I also have the downside of no garage (I live in a 2nd story condo), so would the strongman be easier to change the weight around without having to dump out sand?
    The Strongman does normally make it a little easier to adjust the weight if you don't want to have loose sand around. I guess it all depends on what purpose sandbag training has for you - is it replacing other strength work or complimenting it? The Heavy Hitter is a great sandbag and a 200lb capacity gives a lot of scope for progression. For a basic strength program of bear hug squats, oh press, floor press and shouldering the bag works well. The one tricky exercise is the deadlift, due to the lack of handles. That said you can still do them - it is just seriously tough on the grip.