Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money issue page

Money issue

Shop Now
    I know this isn't a primal-related topic but everyone on here seems intelligent, so I figured I'd ask...

I have a bit of an emergency. I need to come up with $6000 by the end of the summer (preferably a little before the end of the summer... so let's say the end of July) in order to pay for my half of an apartment. I'm a female college student in NYC with a lot of skills, an excellent resume, work experience, GPA, etc... but my current internship is unpaid and I can't imagine that babysitting or dogwalking could earn me all that much, even if I did it every single day.

I'm willing to do almost anything... sell things, clean bathrooms, stand outside a restaurant dressed as a taco... you name it. desperate times, desperate measures.

Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    An employment agency or a few employment agencies. For temp jobs, they work. Usually they're pretty specific, so if you will take anything, you might have to register at a few - some staff only office work, some staff day laborers, etc.

I don't know if you need to be told this because a very smart woman I know once fell for it - never pay an agency to find you a job. That's the employer's responsibility.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Waitress, bartend, or strip is all I can come up with. You want to work for tips, a friendly smile and polite demeanor can go a long way.

runman1954 is offline Member
    Strip? I'm not a prude but I have two daughters, I'd hate to think someone was suggesting that they strip for the extra money. Waitressing seems like a reasonable alternative, bartending as well. Retain your dignity, don't lower yourself, somethings are more important then money, dignity and self esteem are two.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    A while ago I made a decent extra income by selling cosmetics (Avon it was) in airport - not to the passengers, but to the staff. They are away from most shopping centres the whole day every working day, and were happy that somebody brings at least some of the things every woman needs (or uses anyway). And other good place was a hospital - nurses. In both places work is demanding but they have a minute or 2 to grab a face cream and lipstick. My bestsellers were peach face cream, beige golden lipstick and matching nail lacker.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    You could make it dogwalking or petsitting. Summer is a busy season. I've made $600-$700 a month doing it on the side, and I work with people who make over $2500 a month - but they work 7 days a week, long days. The going rate in Charlotte is $15-$18 a visit, and 50% of people tip. The key is to be available all the time.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Cathartes is offline Member
    Magnolia-- for pet sitting, did you find your customers yourself, or did you use an agency?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest anything that pays tips on top of the wage. Not sure what tax laws in the States are like, but in Canada it's not too difficult to get away with not reporting the income. I know some girls who work in small, high-end restaurants and can walk off a shift where they waited on a table full of big wallets all night and have an $800 tip.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runman1954 View Post
    Strip? I'm not a prude but I have two daughters, I'd hate to think someone was suggesting that they strip for the extra money. Waitressing seems like a reasonable alternative, bartending as well. Retain your dignity, don't lower yourself, somethings are more important then money, dignity and self esteem are two.
    Obviously not for everybody. Clearly not for you.

But a woman with the right skills and attitude can make a lot of money in adult entertainment. Unfortunately, there is a general misconception that it's fast money from easy work that anyone can do. Nothing could be further from the truth. So it's unlikely that someone who has never done it can earn the sort of money she is looking to earn in that timeframe.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You could try selling a lot of your things on Craigslist. And make sure while you are earning all this extra money you spend absolutely nothing extra on anything. No Starbucks, no movies, nothing. If you are paying rent right now, see if you can find a way not to pay any rent. Move back home, move in with a sibling, couch surf, live in a campground, find an illegal garage apartment where you can live really super cheap, something.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast