Thread: Planning a trip to the south of France, any tips? page

sebzzz is offline Member

Planning a trip to the south of France, any tips?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on leaving my bachelor here in Quebec, Canada and rent a place for two or three months in the south of France (Aix en Provence more precisely).

I just wanted to know if there is any people who live around there or who have experience travelling in Europe and staying primal.

How are food prices there? My grocery costs about $150 per week only for me right now, so I'm not scared to spend when it comes to food, but still, I don't want to go overboard.

How easy is it to get grass-fed, pasture raised beef?

My thinking is that it should be even easier than here because Europe seems more connected with real food than North America, but I might be wrong.

Since I'll be staying at one place, I won't be in restaurants a lot and this is a good thing because I'm trying the heal candida problems and I want to stay strictly primal.

Any ideas, tips or general information is well welcomed. Thanks in advance!
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    You're going to France. Why are you worrying about staying primal??? Just enjoy!!!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I lived in France for a year as a student (in Grenoble in 2005-2006) before I turned primal so I have no idea how easy it is to get grass-fed beef there. The grocery store beef may have well been grass-fed and I wouldn't have known it (or cared at the time) if it bit my rear end. I rented a bachelor apartment and had my own kitchenette and did most of my own cooking. I found grocery prices comparable (ie. produce, bread, milk) but I also did a lot of my shopping at Lidl (a discount grocery store) as opposed to the more glitzed-up Monoprix.

That being said, avoiding the occassional croissant, petit four or fabulous cheese would be a tall order for me. I'd say just stay as close to primal as you can but enjoy the food and joie de vivre!! To experience France you have to experience the food.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Supermarkets have a combination of the processed stuff which sadly seems to have eeeked it's way into France, but also has good quality meat and cheese. Many towns have weekly (or more often) markets, and I found the veg and seafood much better quality there. I would probably do a weekly shop at the supermarket for non food items and supplement that with a trip to the market. I have not been to Canada, but from what I have heard here I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the flavour of the food. Simple but good. Eating out is a popular pastime in France so try it every now and again. I love sitting at the outside tables and watching the world go by. In France food served at outside tables costs more, so it is usually cheaper to eat in the inside part.