Thread: What about a BBS SL combination? page

miata is online now Senior Member

What about a BBS SL combination?

Primal Fuel
    I've been digging the Body by Science protocol that I started about 6 weeks ago. However, I am doing all machines with BBS and have been reading on these forums and others about the benefits of free weights. Recently I came across the Stronglifts site and started wondering if I can do a combination of the two to get the best of both worlds.

So, here is what I am thinking...

Monday

- Warm-up, Tabata sprints and Planks/ab exercises
    - Body by Science -- using machines
    - each exercise is one set to failure -- targeting about 2 minutes each and 30 seconds between sets
    - 1) leg press, 2) chest press, 3) overhead press, 4) rowing, 5)pull downs

Friday

Stronglifts (variation: I do everything on one day rather than A/B workouts, use barbbells for some exercises)

- 3x5 bench press with dumbbells
    - 3x5 overhead Press with dumbbells
    - 3x5 back squat with barbell
    - 3x5 Row with dumbbells
    - 1x5 dead lift with barbell

I can go to failure on Mondays with BBS and get four days of rest before SL on Friday, then 2 days of rest before BBS again. This way I can get the intensity of BBS on machines and get more well rounded development and control by using barbells and dumbbells with SL.

What do you think abou this combination?

What do you think about combining BBS/machines and SL/ dumbbell exercises listed?

BTW, my goal is to get as strong as I can without working out more than twice a week for no more than an hour each time.
    Last edited by miata; 04-25-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I think that would be fine. Lots of people doing HIT do 2x/week workouts.... lots do less.

I did a split kind of like this for a while. Mine was:

Day 1: BBS routine

Day 3: tabata class

Day 5: Deadlifts 1x5 (after several warmup sets), Weighted chins, and weighted dips

And that was my week. To be honest the intensity on it was too high. I was getting more and more fatigued over the course of a month or two with this. All you can do is give it a try though.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Mehdi is very emphatic with sticking to the program, and he states that doing SL 2x a week will likely cause lower gains than 3x a week, so progressive overload tempo might not work on 1x a week. Mehdi also says specifically, if you want a dumbbell program, find a good dumbbell program. BBS is also very emphatic about training too often and mixing failure lifts with the other stuff.

However, as it is always the case, the logs will tell - if your body responds well, go for it. If you neither gaining strength, nor increasing muscle mass, you are better off working one concept at a time. I suggest you take a look at 4 Hour body chapter on how Ferris used BBS and his gains on it. It's pretty awesome....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    ... Mehdi also says specifically, if you want a dumbbell program, find a good dumbbell program. BBS is also very emphatic about training too often and mixing failure lifts with the other stuff.

However, as it is always the case, the logs will tell - if your body responds well, go for it. If you neither gaining strength, nor increasing muscle mass, you are better off working one concept at a time. I suggest you take a look at 4 Hour body chapter on how Ferris used BBS and his gains on it. It's pretty awesome....
    Thanks Leida. I guess I see this as BBS centric -- with some pseudo-SL stuff to complement. I'll do all my failures with BBS on Mondays and be a little less intense on Fridays with the free weights.

Are you aware of any SL like barbell routines. I thought I came across one very similar to what I described. I'm sticking with barbells for the squats and dead lifts -- and those are probably the two most important SL exercises.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am a fan of sqts and Dl, but i love all big five compound movements. To be honest, the importance of BBR is grossly underestimated imo. Or maybe it's just me. Weak upper and lower back strength imo totally stalls me. OHP is probably the most hated lift out there, but it's probably the most involved lift of them all in terms of muscle group engagement.

The barbell Routines I worked were Madcow and 5/3/1. Madcow was maybe the most successful program I was on, but I crashed really hard on it, and was unable to restore ever since with other routines.

I also worked an interesting combo from Ferris book (creating a Super-Strength chapter), when I did 1 to 3 very heavy reps on a lift, rec'd 2 min, jumped rope for 30 sec- 1 min, rec'd for 2 minutes, and then did a failure set. I

I was trying to find a ref for you, but could not, but despite the quirky source, I very much enjoyed Muscle and Fitness HIS and HERS something something 101 compendium books that had a bunch of routines, including Wendler's 5/3/1 variation that did have combo of machines and dumbbells and barbell. HIS book is MUCH finnier, lol.

In the end, imo Mehdi puts his finger on it when he says that you need to work the hardest what you love the least 'cause it is likely your weak point.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thanks again Leida. Looks like I'll be doing a bunch of reading this weekend.