Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential Primal Cooking Items page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My only utensils are a mundane set of pots, of which I usually only use the frying pan and a small electric oven.

Any other useful things I should get?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

What is this pot you speak of?

Need Stick. Need Fire. Need Meat. Ugh.

Tarlach is offline Member

I just seem to use the barbecue and a pair of tongs to cook most things these days.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I use my tongs a lot.... and good knives.

A whisk for making sauces and dressings... a spatula, a spoon.

A salad spinner for washing greens and veggies...

I could go on and on. I love kitchen "thingies."

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Nick Guest

A dutch oven (or a slow cooker, if you swing that way) for destroying the tough, nutritious cuts of meat like chuck, brisket, and shoulder and turning them into soft, pullable delights. Or a smoker, if you prefer.

I got a super low sided 12" nonstick skillet (would make a good crepe pan if I ate crepes), and I use that thing almost every day along with a silicone spoon, silicone spatula (depending on if we're doing scrambled or over easy), and a pair of tongs for deploying and turning the bacon. Works great for eggs.

Miriam Guest

Mortar and pestle - I love the feeling of pounding spices or nuts and it is good for all that pent up anger

kjake55 Guest

Non-stick pots/pans, grill, microwave-convection oven, salad spinner & blender for smoothies. Oh, and a hand mixer to whip heavy cream--berries & cream for dessert rule!

marika Guest

Well-seasoned cast iron skillet - we use it 3x a day, for ALL of our cooking!

goodfriendsam Guest

i think grok would choose cast iron over teflon.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I have a low sided cast iron skillet too, works great for eggs and bacon! I used to make pancakes in it too, but that's beside the point Other than that, I got a FABULOUS new contraption called a Romertopf (with a little german .. over the first or second o, can't remember). It's a terra cotta baker, it's sort of like a slow cooker but much faster, and it makes the best roasts. You put the meat in, whatever else you want around it like veggies, if anything, and put it in a cold oven (no pre-heating!) and turn it on to 400 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half for most things. The whole chickens I've roasted in there have been the best I've ever tasted. Somehow the terra cotta acts like a brick oven of sorts, but also keeps all the steam and juices within the cooker so it is basically self-basting. Best $35 I've ever spent.

Otherwise...stainless steel cookware (no more non-stick), spatulas, tongs, a grill, garlic press, cutting boards, and good knives. Although I could stand in William-Sonoma and play with all their gadgets for hours.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast