Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member

Ketosis Log: Join me

I'm on day 6 of officially tracking my progress with nutritional ketosis (nk). I'm following what has been prescribed by phinney and volek's book, the art and science of low carb performance, peter attia, jimmy moore, mr sisson and many others. I began in Feb 2012 with the Atkins Induction. did that for 45 days, switched to atkins owl, then learned about primal and stayed primal for the last year. I lost 30 lbs in the first 3 month and maintained at 212 +/- 5lbs until I began with NK.

I'm 6'2". Starting weight was 213 lbs. I'm currently 20.8% body fat (using calipers). I would like to be at 10% body fat with a final weight between 180 to 190.

My plan is to stay in nutritional ketosis for 90 days, keeping track of my weight, glucose, ketones, body fat %, food intake, macro-nutritional distribution, and any thoughts. If anyone would like to join me on this journey please do. I'm not an expert so I won't be giving out advice, but feel free to comment or ask questions. Please be supportive and positive. It's already hard enough that I have to watch my GF eat chocolate, ice cream, cake...etc. I'm getting use to this way of eating and feel pretty darn great.

I'll try to post daily. Here are my stats for the day:

Day 6

Measurements: 7:00am
    Ketones: 1.3
    Glucose: 102
    Weight: 209.8

Breakfast: 8:30am

Coffee - 2.5 oz Espresso, 1 Tbsp Butter, 2 Tbsp MCT Oil, 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, 2 Tiny Scoops of Pure Stevia Extract
    Breakfast: 3 Organic Free Range Eggs, 3 oz Grass Fed Beef, 97 grams Organic Tuscan Kale, 1 Tbsp Butter, 25 grams Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 1 Cup of Free Range Chicken Broth, 1/4 Tsp Himalayan Salt

Calories: 1,100
    Fat: 104
    Protein: 38
    Carbs: 13.9 (Net 11.8)

Snack 1:30 pm

40 grams of Avocado, 1 oz of crispy chicken skin

Calories: 208
    Fat: 18.8
    Protein: 7.2
    Carbs: 3.4 (net carbs .7)

Dinner: 6:00 pm

5.1 oz of Chicken Thigh Meat, 4 oz. Mixed Baby Greens, 1.8 oz Avocado, 4 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1.5 Tbsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 Tsp Fish Oil, 1 Cup Free Range Chicken Broth, 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt

Calories: 924
    Fat: 84
    Protein: 40
    Carbs: 7.8

Totals

Calories: 2,232
    Fat: 207 (80.8%)
    Protein: 86 (14.9%)

Carbs: 24 (4.4%)

Supplements: (I'll post this once unless it changes.)

2 Tsp Fish Oil
    500 mg Chelated Magnesium (split one before breakfast, one after dinner)
    500 mcg of Iodine
    2 Brazil Nuts for Selenium
    500 mg of Curcumin
    3,500 iu Vitamin D
    400 iu Vitamin E
    100mg CoQ10 as Ubiquinol
    2 Dr. Shulze Formula #1
    Using Sauerkraut as a Probiotic, but am considering purchasing it as a supplement.
    Also considering vitamin C since I'm not eating fruits until I reach my ideal size.

Paleobird Guest
    I have been living in NK land for quite a while now. I pretty much have it down so I don't really track carefully anymore so I wouldn't have anything much to add here but, if I could help, I would be happy to.

For me NK is about keeping myself cancer free (five years post cancer now) and keeping my epilepsy under control with less medication (down 25% so far).

Anyone who tries to tell you how stressful, dangerous, eating disordered, etc. such a WOE is can just take their scientifically unfounded negativity elsewhere.

I wish you well.

dob
    @PaleoBird, Thanks and appreciate the support. Cancer survivor, controlling epilepsy, 5 years of being Cancer Free and in NK....Awesome!!!! That is inspiring to me and you are an inspiration. Did you fight your cancer through Alternative or Conventional Medicine? I'm curious as i've been reading many stories of many cancer survivor using Detox, nutrition and supplements to fight their disease. I also recently came across Dr. Seyfried studies regarding brain cancer and ketosis.

My journey began after my mother had breast cancer for the second time. I began researching as much as could online, looking for alternative medical solutions. During this period, I realized i had to change my life as well. My family history wasn't so hot...on my mother side both uncles had cancer, my father has heart disease, and two of my father's brothers passed away from HD. I thought I knew what to do and follow the guidelines i've always been taught. For a month, i ate a LF SAD diet while working out at the crack of dawn. I made very little progress and thought what was i doing wrong. I began researching more and by some miracle, I came across a youtube video for a trailer for fat-head the movie. I watched the movie, which changed my life forever. I found Tom Naughton's blog, which lead me to Atkins, Taubes, Dr. Davis, Sisson...etc. And the rest is history....LC was the way to go and it didn't really matter which model I used, atkins, taubes, primal, paleo, protein power, eades, etc. All had similar themes and most importantly to eat a highly nutritious meal. I think what cemented it for me was watching Dr. Wahl's Tedx speech regarding MS and how her health dramatically improved by eating a paleo like diet. Amazing.

dob
    Morning Measurements 7:15 am
    Weight 209.8
    Ketones: 1.8
    Glucose: 89

dob
    Breakfast: 9:00 am

Prior to making breakfast had 2 Tbsp Sauerkraut

2.5 oz of Espresso, 1 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter, 2 Tbsp of MCT oil and CO, .5 Tbsp Organic Cacao Powder

6.5 oz. (3) XL Free Range Eggs, 3 oz. Chicken Thigh Meat, .5 Tbsp Butter and EVCO, 8g Parsley, 3 oz Organic Tuscan Kale, 1 cup Free Range Chicken Broth, 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt, 1 Tsp Fish Oil, 2 Brazil Nuts

Calories: 1,253

Fats: 115

Protein: 50

Carbs: 15.6 (net carbs 11.9)

Supplements: the same as day one and I will post if any adjustments were made.

Paleobird Guest
    Morning, dob

I fought my cancer through conventional means since that's all I knew at the time. I wish I had known then what I know now.

One thing to get clear however. I do not subscribe to the idea of firing your oncologist and going off on a juice fast or some magic tea or something like that. That is the ostrich method of problem solving. Western medicine can and does cure cancer every day.

Where I think the keto nutritional aspect is helpful is in stopping you from ever getting it in the first place, keeping it from coming back, and supporting your overall health as you go through the physical stresses of treatment.

Dr Seyfried's book is great. For anyone looking for a "Cliff's Notes" breakdown of this excellent but very dense work, I would recommend the blog of Dr. Georgia Ede, "Diagnosis: Diet", where she did a whole series of posts about it.

I don't know if it's just what you happen to have in the fridge at the moment or habitual, but I would go with more ruminant meat and seafood and not so much chicken. You will get a better fat/protein ratio and a better O3:O6. Otherwise looking good.

dob
    Snack: 2:00 pm
    1.8 Oz Avocado

Calories: 90
    Fats: 8.3
    Protein: 1.1
    Carbs: 4.7 (net carbs 1)

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Morning, dob

I fought my cancer through conventional means since that's all I knew at the time. I wish I had known then what I know now.

One thing to get clear however. I do not subscribe to the idea of firing your oncologist and going off on a juice fast or some magic tea or something like that. That is the ostrich method of problem solving. Western medicine can and does cure cancer every day.

Where I think the keto nutritional aspect is helpful is in stopping you from ever getting it in the first place, keeping it from coming back, and supporting your overall health as you go through the physical stresses of treatment.

Dr Seyfried's book is great. For anyone looking for a "Cliff's Notes" breakdown of this excellent but very dense work, I would recommend the blog of Dr. Georgia Ede, "Diagnosis: Diet", where she did a whole series of posts about it.

I don't know if it's just what you happen to have in the fridge at the moment or habitual, but I would go with more ruminant meat and seafood and not so much chicken. You will get a better fat/protein ratio and a better O3:O6. Otherwise looking good.
    Hi Paleobird, Appreciate the input. I agree that chicken is not the ideal protein in terms of omega fat ratios, but I am supplementing with 2 tsp of Fish Oil daily (morn/evening) which contains 2,250mg of per serving to offset my daily O6 intake and I also rarely eat cooked fish (not a big fan unless it's white fish, halibut or sea bass); however raw is a different story. I also had a ton of leftover thight meat after cooking it for the GF and I hate being wasteful, so I become he garbage disposal for leftovers. I usually eat chicken two to three times a week, which isn't terrible for 14 meals a week. I try to mix up my meat intake, by eating grass fed lamb and beef, sashimi, and some pork products. I'll indulge at times with bacon, but save that for a Saturday morning with my GF child.

I think if you have early detection of cancer, then try alternative medicines and if not effective maybe conventional is a good option. Although, I have read stories where cancer survivors have had surgery and decided against cemo and radiation for natural remedies. I guess it all depends on what works best for that individual. Your statement is so true, if only I known then what I know now.

I also came across Dr. Georgia Ede's website. I believe she is also performing her n=1 experiment with Ketosis, using Dr. Seyfried's plan as guide.

I appreciate your input and welcome your point of view or if there is an alternative way of looking at something, I'm always interested.

Thanks!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Looking good!!! I can't believe how many calories you eat, amazing!

dob
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Looking good!!! I can't believe how many calories you eat, amazing!
    Thanks. I feel like I should eat more. I'm going to test the calories in calories out theory. I've seen that it doesn't really matter.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast