Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 8

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I really wish I had a meter that measures ketones. Now I wanna know where I'm at, lol!!!
    I know where you're coming from. I didn't measure at first and then I decided to dive right in.

Go to Jimmy Moore's website and order the two meters that are free. the precision xtra comes with glucose strips and the nova comes with both glucose and a couple ketone strips. You can at least test your glucose to see if it's stable and below 100 in the mornings. It's not perfect, but it should give you a pretty good indication. Also, you're getting results from the changes to your body, so that's a good sign as well.

So glad you're feeling better today. keep it up!!!!

dob
    Workout: Yoga - 30 Minutes

Lunch: 12:00 pm

4 oz Grass Fed Beef, 3 Large Free Range Eggs, 3.6 oz Avocado, 3 oz Organic Tuscan Kale, 2 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, 1 cup Free Range Chicken Broth, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,108
    Fats: 97
    Protein: 46
    Carbs: 21 (14 net carbs)

Dinner: 4:30 pm

8 oz 80% Grass Fed Beef, 1 oz 85% Grass Fed Beef, 70 g Baby Broccoli, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil and EVCO, 1 cup Free Range Chicken Broth, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 932
    Fats: 82
    Protein: 45
    Carbs: 4.7 (2.9 Net Carbs)

Totals:

Calories: 2,040
    Fat: 179 (77.5%)
    Protein: 91 (17.5%)
    Carbs: 26 (5%)

I ate more carbs that I wanted to because of the larger than normal size of the Avocado.

I came across an interesting article from Paul Jaminet, from Perfect Health Website. 1st was the idea to use BCAA during a ketongenic diet to preserve lean body mass and allows proteins to be increased while staying in ketosis. He also stated that 600 total calories from protein and carbs should be the minimum. And based on a study conducted, that protein level should be kept at 24% of total calories. Could be the basis of an experiment as I want to maintain or increase lean body mass while reducing fat mass. Is it possible?

dob
    Hi PB, not sure if I should have posted this in your epilepsy thread, but I love how everyone is coming together to talk through their own experiences. I ran across this article by Paul Jaminet. I was looking at it more from a perspective of trying to preserve LBM while in ketosis, but Paul points to research conducted on children with epilepsy and the strategies used to prevent bone and LBM loss. Here it is: Ketogenic Diets 2: Preventing Muscle and Bone Loss on Ketogenic Diets - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet You've probably already seen it but I found it pretty fascinating. Good night..off to class.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    I know where you're coming from. I didn't measure at first and then I decided to dive right in.

Go to Jimmy Moore's website and order the two meters that are free. the precision xtra comes with glucose strips and the nova comes with both glucose and a couple ketone strips. You can at least test your glucose to see if it's stable and below 100 in the mornings. It's not perfect, but it should give you a pretty good indication. Also, you're getting results from the changes to your body, so that's a good sign as well.

So glad you're feeling better today. keep it up!!!!
    Do you have a link for the meters? Didn't see it on his website.

Marcie is offline Senior Member
    Hi dob and everyone else. I've been on the road for 2 days and home tomorrow. Since I'm working lots for the next week, I was thinking of doing a planned fast. I am trying to figure out macros (still! Ugh) is there an easy way to figure out the percent? I think I get it but still not sure. So I was hoping that tomorrow I could log my food here, do my best to calculate percentages and you can let me know if I'm right, wrong or just completely brain dead! Also, do you think I should keep my carbs around 20 during my eating days? And what does Mark mean by 'juice' as an option on fasting days? Sorry to ramble, just feeling a bit overwhelmed!

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Do you have a link for the meters? Didn't see it on his website.
    I'm not sure if Jimmy get's credit for someone linking from his site, but if he does I'd prefer that you linked through his site rather than me providing the link directly. Here is the link on Jimmy's site: Jimmy Moore. Go to Paragraph 2, under get FREE Precision Xtra meter in bright blue.

If you'd like the nova max as well, here is the link: Jimmy Moore. Second to last paragraph on the blog he wrote where it says here in blue.

I ordered both and used the free strips before I ordered my ketone strips from the Canadian site. The precision take about a week and the nova took 1.5 months.

Let me know if there is anything else.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Hi dob and everyone else. I've been on the road for 2 days and home tomorrow. Since I'm working lots for the next week, I was thinking of doing a planned fast. I am trying to figure out macros (still! Ugh) is there an easy way to figure out the percent? I think I get it but still not sure. So I was hoping that tomorrow I could log my food here, do my best to calculate percentages and you can let me know if I'm right, wrong or just completely brain dead! Also, do you think I should keep my carbs around 20 during my eating days? And what does Mark mean by 'juice' as an option on fasting days? Sorry to ramble, just feeling a bit overwhelmed!
    It's okay and I'll try to the best I can to help out. Maybe you can follow what I do and adjust from there. First I would determine where I want my weight to be at. When I began I was 213 lbs and my goal weight is 185. It's my understanding that you want to figure out your daily caloric needs based on your goal weight. To figure out your caloric needs for the day, use a BMR calc, which you can find here: BMR Calculator. Under weight, enter you goal weight and the remainder of the info. Now the calories can be adjusted upward based on your activity level, from 1.2 to 2, 1.2 being minimal activity to 2 for heavy activity levels. For example, let's say my daily BMR is 1,666, which again is the caloric need if your sedentary. If you workout a couple times a week, you may want to increase that number by multiplying by the minimum activity level of 1.2, which would be 2000 calories a day.

Once I know what my total daily caloric needs are, I would use one of two methods. For simplicity sake, let's say you need to eat 2000 calories day.

Method 1. Figure out your macro ratios that you'd like to be at to be in ketosis. A typical ratio is 80% Fats/15% Protein/5% Carbs. These levels can be adjusted as you see fit, but I'm using this as an example.

Take the percentages and multiply by your daily caloric needs. 80% of you calories come from fat, which equals 1600 (80% x 2000 calories, Protein is 300 calories, and Carbs is 100 calories. From there you can figure out how many grams of each you can eat by using the following ratios: 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 Calories, and 1 gram of Carbs = 4 calories. To figure out how many grams, take the 1600 calories from fat and divide by 9 calories, which equals 177.7 grams of fat. To figure out proteins, take 300 calories divide it by 4, which is 75. Carbs would be 25 grams (100 calories divided by 4).

Total Calories : 2,000 (1,666 BMR x 1.2 Activity Level)
    Fats: 80% - 1600 calories / 9 Calories per gram = 177.7
    Protein: 15% - 300 Calories / 4 Calories per gram = 75
    Carbs: 5% - 100 Calories / 4 Calories per gram = 25

Method 2: Figure out how many grams of protein to eat based on your weight while keeping your carbs at 20 grams and then figure out how many grams of fat you can eat. For simplicity sake, we'll continue to use 2,000 total calories per day that you would like to eat. I'm also going to use my goal weight of 185 for this example.

For this example, you need to know that you can eat .8-1.5 grams of protein for kilogram of your ideal weight. To convert your weight from lbs to kg, you need to divide your weight by 2.2, 185 lbs divide it by 2.2 kg, which is 84 kgs. The range provided, .8 - 1.5 grams of protein per kg of weight, is a multiple that again depends on amount of exercise you perform weekly. If lift hard 4-6 days a week, you may want to be at the higher end of the scale, where as if have very little activity, you may want to use the lower end of the scale. For this example, we'll use 1 gram for every kg of body weight, which is 84 grams of protein or 336 calories (84 grams times 4 calories per gram of protein). We also know you want to eat 20 grams of carbs, which would be a total of 80 calories. Total calories from carbs and protein would be 416 (336 calories from protein + 80 Calories from Carbs). Now let's figure out how many grams of fat you can eat. Take 2000 calories minus 416 calories equals 1,584 calories from fat. To determine the total amount of grams needed for 1,584 calories from fat, divide 1,584 by 9 calories from fat per gram to get 176 grams of fat.

1. Determine kilograms of weight = 185 Total weight in lbs / 2.2 kgs per lbs = 84 kgs
    2. Figure out the amount of protein based on scale of .8-1.5 grams of protein per kg = Use 1 to start of with = 84 grams of protein
    3. Determine Carb intake in grams - Use 20 grams
    4. Find total calories from protein and carbs. 84 grams of protein x 4 = 336 and 20 grams of carbs x 4 = 80, 336 + 80 = 416
    5. Figure out grams of fat based on total caloric intake = 2,000 total calories - 416 calories from prot & carbs = 1,584 calories from fats / 9 calories per gram of fat = 176 grams of fat.

In scenario two your macro ratios would be 79.2% from fat / 16.8% protein / 4% from carbs.

All of these ratios can be adjusted and tweaked to find your sweet spot, but get into ketosis first and then adjust. Your body needs to be adapted to burn fat.

According to the book, you can be in ketosis by keeping your carb intake to less than 50 grams, but I think keeping carbs at less than 20 grams will ensure that carbs don't affect your ketone levels, as long as you're eating clean carbs, no sugar, grains, and starches. You can add carbs back slowly to see how your body responds. You could go the other way as well. It's really up to you. The two most common problems I see in entering and maintaining ketosis are too much carbs and protein, and not enough fat.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you ask about what mark meant about juicing? I'm thinking that it's if someone decided to do an extended fast (2-3 days) and you need some nutrients in your system to survive the fast, but I' not 100% sure and would prefer a reference. On top of it, I'm not an expert in fasting.

It's late and I'm tired, so I haven't really proof read everything, so if something doesn't make sense, please ask. Hope this helps you with your calculations. Again, I did this only as an example. You may want to eat less fat, more carbs or any number of scenarios. You may want to ease into ketosis as your body needs time to adjust. Only you can figure out what works best for you.

One piece of advice I see is that your sodium intake must increase significantly, up to 5 grams a day. Really important.

Good night.
    Last edited by dob; 05-08-2013 at 03:04 AM.

dob
    May 8, 2013

Weight: 206.8

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    I'm not sure if Jimmy get's credit for someone linking from his site, but if he does I'd prefer that you linked through his site rather than me providing the link directly. Here is the link on Jimmy's site: Jimmy Moore. Go to Paragraph 2, under get FREE Precision Xtra meter in bright blue.

If you'd like the nova max as well, here is the link: Jimmy Moore. Second to last paragraph on the blog he wrote where it says here in blue.

I ordered both and used the free strips before I ordered my ketone strips from the Canadian site. The precision take about a week and the nova took 1.5 months.

Let me know if there is anything else.
    Thanks for the information. I just ordered it.

Marcie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So many numbers. Thanks for spelling all that out for me. I decided to fast today to kick start myself. It's 1:00 and I'm going through a hunger phase but just some rumbling. Wide awake and actually feel good. Will sit down with those numbers tonight and plan tomorrows food. Should I break my fast with steak and eggs? Or just bacon and eggs? Will do a weigh and measurements tomorrow.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast