Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 7

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    i have a rather odd question

well in ketosis u burn fat for fuel i get that, and to burn stored fat u need to burn all the dietry fat u ate but also if ur a sugar burner if u finish burning the food u ate ur body uses its fat stores for energy(at least thats wat i beleive)

so whats the diffrence then?

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    I can see where your coming from, but I don't think it works that way. I think it depends on whether our bodies are adapted to using fat as an energy source.

dob
    Breakfast/Lunch - 10:30 am

7 oz of Free Range Chicken Thigh, 3 oz Organic Tuscan Kale, 2.7 oz Avocado, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, 3 Tbsp EVCO, 2 Brazil Nuts, 2 Tsp Fish Oil, 1 cup of Coffee

Calories: 1,211
    Fats: 103
    Protein: 58
    Carbs: 16.3 (net carbs 8.6)

Dinner: 7:30 pm

6 oz Wild Sockeye Salmon, 3 oz mixed Green Salad, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil and MCT Oil, 2 Tbsp EVCO, 1.5 Tbsp Lemon Juice

Calories: 796
    Fats: 71
    Protein: 38
    Carbs: 3.3 (net carbs 2.7)

Totals:

Calories: 2,007
    Fats: 174 (77.2%)
    Protein: 96 (18.9%)
    Carbs: 19.6 (3.9%)

Decided to front load my protein intake since I worked out this morning. Workout was intense and my time under-load was 1.5 minute over last week. I'm still getting use the lunges instead of the doing squats, but the resistance bands make leg exercise difficult.

I took a nap this afternoon, which hasn't happened in a while, but it felt damn good. It only lasted 15 minutes while watching Reck it Ralph with the smartest, coolest, sweetest kid in the whole world. It's his favorite movie. Maybe I'm making up for the lack of sleep this past week.

Getting back to my day, I decided to buy frozen wild sockeye salmon from costco and ate it tonight. I didn't start eating cooked fish until my late 20's and salmon is my least favorite fish. I really don't understand what all the hype is about, but I decided to try it again since my taste buds have further matured. Also salmon is considered one of the most nutritious proteins. Next on my list, liver. I'm not going to eat it everyday, but it was pretty good. Sauted it with a little butter, EVCO and a dash of lemon juice. Next time, I'm going to peel the skin and fry it separately to get it crispy.

I hope my decision to increase my protein intake is paying off. I'm not getting the shots of energy I was using when I was eating more fat, but the energy levels have been steady.

Good night and have a great week everyone!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    i have a rather odd question

well in ketosis u burn fat for fuel i get that, and to burn stored fat u need to burn all the dietry fat u ate but also if ur a sugar burner if u finish burning the food u ate ur body uses its fat stores for energy(at least thats wat i beleive)

so whats the diffrence then?
    Look up Mark's post about the "Fat Burning Beast". It explains the difference between being fat adapted and being in ketosis.

to the OP, yes, crispy salmon skin is delicious. My dog is very disappointed that I have figured this out. That used to be his treat.

Also, the quality of the salmon matters a lot in the taste. Really fresh, wild caught, not overcooked (in fact cook it just beyond sashimi level, enough to get it warm in the middle). Delicious.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-06-2013 at 05:04 PM.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Look up Mark's post about the "Fat Burning Beast". It explains the difference between being fat adapted and being in ketosis.

to the OP, yes, crispy salmon skin is delicious. My dog is very disappointed that I have figured this out. That used to be his treat.

Also, the quality of the salmon matters a lot in the taste. Really fresh, wild caught, not overcooked (in fact cook it just beyond sashimi level, enough to get it warm in the middle). Delicious.
    I'll have to check out mark's post.

Poor puppy!!! Does he look at you with that look and make you feel guilty? :-) I'm a sucker for that look.

I wish I could hang out in the river with the grizzlies and just eat it raw. I really have no frame of reference, but I don't like that bright orange sushi/sashimi salmon. it doesn't do it for me and the color is different than what I hate last night and the taste was different. The flesh was a deeper orange and seemed to be less fatty. Pretty tasty. I was thinking I'd take a few bites and be over it.

So when you cook your salmon, do you crank the heat up to get a nice sear? And if you use high heat, what are you using? I recently saw that ghee has a high smoking point. Sorry that I keep asking you all these questions.

dob
    May 6, 2013

Measurements: 8:00 am

Weight: 207.8

Lunch: 11:45 am

8 oz Grass Fed Ground Beef (80%), 3 oz Kale, 315 oz Avocado, 1 cup Home Made Chicken Broth, 1 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tbsp MCT oil, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,158

Fats: 101

Proteins: 51

Carbs: 16.9 (8.7 net carbs)

Dinner: 5:30 pm

8 oz Grass Fed Beef (85%), 3 oz Mixed Green Salad, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, MCT oil, and EVCO, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 879

Fats: 80

Protein: 43

Carbs: 1.8 (1.2 Net Carbs)

Totals:

Calories: 2,037

Fats: 181 (78.4%)

Protein: 94 (18%)

Carbs: 18.7 (3.6%)

Clean day of eating. I really enjoyed the 80% Grass Fed Ground Beef for Lunch. A couple observations I've noticed the past couple of days. First, I haven't tasted metal in my mouth and my urine doesn't smell anymore. Does this mean that my body is using the ketones efficiently. Could it possibly be my macro ratios are tuned correctly? I'll have my reading tomorrow so I'll see what happens. Second, I also noticed when my macro ratio was higher in fats, I would get more of a rush of energy, which would stabilize until my next meal. Now the rush I use to get isn't as much. I'll see if these observations change or something else occurs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Poor puppy!!! Does he look at you with that look and make you feel guilty? :-) I'm a sucker for that look.

So when you cook your salmon, do you crank the heat up to get a nice sear? And if you use high heat, what are you using? I recently saw that ghee has a high smoking point. Sorry that I keep asking you all these questions.
    Yes, those puppy dog eyes are hard to resist.
    Tips for cooking salmon. Get it out of the fridge a while before cooking so it gets up to room temp. I use coconut oil to cook it because it has a high smoke point and the flavor just goes nicely with seafood, IMO but ghee works too. I like to smear the salmon with crushed garlic and crushed ginger when it comes out of the fridge. Let it sit there is that while it gets up to room temp. (Don't worry about it going bad. It will not happen that fast.) In with the coconut oil, I toss a splash of coconut aminos. It is a fermented seasoning that tastes just like soy sauce but without the gluten or soy. Just a quick sear. Have everyone at the table before the fish hits the pan. A little squeeze of lemon on the finished product is nice too.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, those puppy dog eyes are hard to resist.
    Tips for cooking salmon. Get it out of the fridge a while before cooking so it gets up to room temp. I use coconut oil to cook it because it has a high smoke point and the flavor just goes nicely with seafood, IMO but ghee works too. I like to smear the salmon with crushed garlic and crushed ginger when it comes out of the fridge. Let it sit there is that while it gets up to room temp. (Don't worry about it going bad. It will not happen that fast.) In with the coconut oil, I toss a splash of coconut aminos. It is a fermented seasoning that tastes just like soy sauce but without the gluten or soy. Just a quick sear. Have everyone at the table before the fish hits the pan. A little squeeze of lemon on the finished product is nice too.
    Thank you!!!! Coconut aminos, another first. I'll have to check it out.

dob
    May 6, 2013

Measurements: 8:00 am

Weight: 206
    Ketones: 2.7
    Glucose: 80

Weight continues a downward trend, with ketones are rising again and glucose has stabilized, while changing my macro ratios with the increase in protein. Feeling excited.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really wish I had a meter that measures ketones. Now I wanna know where I'm at, lol!!!

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast