Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 6

Marcie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This seems to be the forum I've been looking for. I get so boggled by all the different ratios and formulas and then I just end up feeling confused. I was using the .7g of protein for each pound of body weight but I am struggling to get that number (161 grams). I have been keeping carbs between 20-30 over the past 5 days but was not watching the fat, but I"m getting lots-bacon, cream soups and sauces, bacon, etc. I have been logging food on fit day as mark suggested but their percentages have me exceeding my protein and fat by an obscene amount. I am losing (3 lbs in 4 days) so it's going good. But too much math! Help (and be patient, my brain takes a while to make sense of everything).

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to chek your numbers again, it should be between 0.8-1.5g/kg of body weight, the lower for average people, the upper for supreme atheletes, so most people fit in the 0.8-1g/kg.
    Note per Kg not pounds

Your figure should be around 65-70g +/- at a guess

Protein Info - How Much Protein Do You Need
    How much protein do we need?
    Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams. (The top calculator on this page can compute a range of the recommended dietary protein for you. The lower number in the range is the minimun.)
    Last edited by Omni; 05-04-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Interesting result though, your miscalculation has put you in a position of overeating fat and protein and loosing weight at a good rate, does "Fit day" calculate your overall calories, interesting to see the overall numbers.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Hi Marcie and Omni, welcome.

Marcie, I agree with Omni. For the first two weeks, I ate 83 grams of protein and now eat 95. I weight 208 lbs, so at a 1g for 1 kg of weight, I should be eating 95 grams of protein. Keep at it, and you'll get there. Also, Pebble67's wrote a great post on her thread that explains nutritional ketosis and provides some great references. Check it out, here is the link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77549.html

Omni, thanks for chiming in. Do you follow a Ketogenic WOE?

dob
    May 5, 2013

Ketones: 2.0
    Glucose: 102
    Weight: 206.8

Looks as though increasing my protein levels 9 grams causes my ketones to decrease while my glucose increases.

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    found this great website for recipes if anyone is intrested (ketocook.com), check it out its pretty cool

I did lose weight (again). I've only done 2 days of logging. One day I was away from home but I can try and remember my day. One day my calories were 1488, fat 98.9, carbs 17.4 and protein 124.6. Yesterday I was busy, busy so I guess I didn't eat much (although I was never hungry) calories 975, fat 62.6, carbs 29.7 and protein 71.7. I may be off because I made the mushroom risotto and added more butter and cream.

I was going to start a thread asking how I could eat that much protein. I tell you, all these numbers just make my brain shut down and I have to re-read several times. I have the book but I also go to the forum. I will learn by trial and error, but if the errors result in weight loss I can accept it. Thanks for the input. Now to adjust my protein needs (thank goodness).

Hi dob, i have a few questions for you: I see you monitor your ketone levels - should I be doing that? does it require special equipment? It also appears that you eat 2 meals a day; is that your fasting between meals? I also do not know many of these acronyms and I hope I learn to decode soon (so what is WOE)

I just returned to primal eating about 3 weeks ago and slowly getting the family to join me, the youngest are the hardest to convert and my cereal addict is suffering (so I caved and bought a small box for him - shame on me). The goal is to do better!

dob
    Workout: High Intensity Training - 8:21 am

Total Time: 31 min
    Time Under Load: 17 min 47 sec

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Hi dob, i have a few questions for you: I see you monitor your ketone levels - should I be doing that? does it require special equipment? It also appears that you eat 2 meals a day; is that your fasting between meals? I also do not know many of these acronyms and I hope I learn to decode soon (so what is WOE)

I just returned to primal eating about 3 weeks ago and slowly getting the family to join me, the youngest are the hardest to convert and my cereal addict is suffering (so I caved and bought a small box for him - shame on me). The goal is to do better!
    Hi Macie, I measure my ketones using the abbott precision xtra meter. You can order one for free with a link from Jimmy Moore's website with his nutritional ketosis (NK) experiment., on his website n=1 link. Unfortunately, the strips are freaken expensive, $4-5 in the states. I ordered mine for $2 per form Canada from a site called Universal Drugstore.

I was inspired by Jimmy Moore and the book he uses, The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. I would recommend reading this book. Basically you want your ketone levels, when measured, to be between .5-3.0 to be in nutritional ketosis.

Some measure and some don't. More importantly, it's about changing what and how you eat and how you distribute your macro nutrients, meaning protein, fats and carbs. The book states for carbs you want to keep them below 50 grams a day, however, I feel that being at 20 is ideal. Fats need to make up the majority of your calories, between 70-80%. As stated before your protein should be .7-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body mass. All of these numbers can be tweaked so you get into your zone. If you decide not to use the meter, look for common signs of ketosis, like smelly breath, metal taste in mouth, urine smells different, or that feeling of mental clarity, consistent energy levels through the day.

To understand fully how to eat at the proper macro-nutrient levels, I would recommend measuring your food with a scale and inputting into a website like calorie count from about.com or fitday.com. I think Fitday comes highly recommended and I've seen many that use it.

The acronym WOE means way of eating, and I'm the worst when it comes to acronyms. But as you read more and more threads, you'll start picking up on them. Don't be afraid to ask as I'm always asking.

As for your kids, I'm not very good at this. My girlfriend's (GF) son loves nuetella and I'm trying to limit him to only having it on the weekends. I also think my girlfriend doesn't agree with the way I eat, so that also make it difficult bc ultimately it is her child and she has final say. I'm always conflicted between happiness and health. Why can't it be both?

I agree with you, gradually and without pressure is the best approach. I recently asked him if he would like to try liver with me and he seemed open to it. We'll see. If you have any advice for me, I'm all ears.

Stick with Paleo/Primal WOE. I think being strict is good in the beginning, but flexibility and enjoying it is a must. If anyone asks me, I say use the atkins process/system and eat primal.

As for fasting, it just kind of happened. I can eat two large meals and be satisfied for the rest of the day. I don't know if it's technically fasting, but I found that it works for me. I think this is a result of eating more fat...your body becomes less hungry and more satisfied throughout the day.

Ask away. There is one group member, paleobird, who has a journal with her experiences and she has tons of great advice as well. She's been in ketosis for 5 years, cancer destroyer, reducing her meds for eplipsy, and loving life in general. I hope she can help you along as well. Like you, I'm new to this, so I rely on others. I read what the arguments are and see if it make sense to me. So far ketosis has made sense to me.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast