Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 4

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    Rookie questions here as I have never monitored this stuff.

What do you use to measure ketones and glucose levels? Do you suggest anything specific that is cost effective? Randomly searching Amazon yields a wide array of products. I guess the better question, what do you prefer and think is necessary?
    A more cost effective but somewhat less reliable metric is Ketostix which are a urine test strip. They actually work fairly well as you are transitioning into ketosis but then later on as your body becomes more adept at burning ketones fewer are excreted in the urine so there is less to measure. At this point some people panic and think it has "stopped working". The blood meters are more reliable long term.

Paleobird Guest
    About cooking liver for pate'. You should cook it thoroughly if you are using chicken livers (as with any poultry product). With other livers you can leave it a bit rare and it actually makes the pate' a smoother texture. If it's overcooked it can be kind of gritty. If you have it sliced up when it hits the pan you can just give it a fast searing.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast: 8:30 am

2 oz of Espresso, 2 Tbsp MCT Oil and EVCO

Calories: 461.2
    Fat: 56
    Protein: .1
    Carbs: 0

Lunch 12:00pm

3 XL Free Range Eggs, 3 oz Grass Fed Beef, 5.5 oz Asparagus, 1.5 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 730.8
    Fat: 56
    Protein: 44.9
    Carbs: 10.1 (6.7)
    Dinner: 5:00 pm

6 oz Free Range Chicken Legs, 4 oz Mixed Baby Greens, 2 Tbsp Olive Oil and EVCO, 1.5 Tbsp ACV, 1 tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 960
    Fat: 86
    Protein: 46
    Carbs: 2.4 (1.6 net)

Totals: 2,151

Calories: 2,151
    Fats: 195 (81%)
    Protein: 91 (16.7%)
    Carbs: 12.5 (2.3%)

dob
    Morning Measurements 6:30 am
    Ketones:2.6
    Glucose: 96
    Weight 212.3

Could I be experiencing gluconeogenesis or is it from my intake of chicken (bc of their diet) that I'm experiencing higher glucose levels and lower ketone levels? When I ate grass fed beef, my ketone levels tend to be higher. I also ate very low carb yesterday, so I don't see the reason why my glucose levels would be at 96. I'm still in the zone per Volek and Phinney's Book. I keep thinking that I need to restrict my fat intake and reduce my caloric intake, as some has suggested on Mark's Daily (all of you thank you for your input and support. Amazing group of people over there.) if things don't change by day 14, then I'm definitely going to try and restrict my calories by reducing my fat intake.

Yoga: 8:00 am (30 minutes)
    Slow Moving Stomach Crunches: 8 Minutes

Early Lunch: 11:00 am

2 oz Espresso, 2 Tbs MCT Oil, 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
    8 oz Grass Fed Beef, 3 oz Kale, 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1.5 Tbsp ACV, 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, 2.5 oz Avocado, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,316
    Fats: 123
    Protein: 47
    Carbs: 14.1 (7.5 net carbs)

I tried to front load my carbs so I use them during the afternoon for energy.

Dinner: 4:00 pm

7 oz Grass Fed Beef, 4 oz Organic Mixed Green Salad, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, .75 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp ACV, 1 tsp fish oil

Calories: 662
    Fats: 58
    Protein: 38
    Carbs: 2.4 (net carbs 1.6)

Maybe I front loaded my carbs too much...how confusing. I think I should balance my fat intake better or maybe by eating less fat in for dinner my body will use it's stored fat for energy through the night.

Totals:

Calories: 1,978
    Fats: 181 (80.1%)

Protein: 85 (16.6%)
    Carbs: 16.5 (3.2%)

Didn't plan very well and bring enough food to the office with me, therefore the lack of total calories and my fat intake reduced slightly. Let's see if that causes some weight loss or not. Even though my weight has increased, I feel great, so I can't really complain. Good night!

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    guys i finally entered ketosis yest i was at a pink color today im at light purple, recently i started my preseason(i think thats wat they call it in English ) so im doing alot of endurance work. while im working out i feel a burning feeling in between my stomach and lungs and also in the lower part of stomach u could say my abdomen burns< have any of u experienced this,? is it due to ketosis or is it bec of the endurance work , or a combination?( my running endurance is pretty bad, bad vo2 max)

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    guys i finally entered ketosis yest i was at a pink color today im at light purple, recently i started my preseason(i think thats wat they call it in English ) so im doing alot of endurance work. while im working out i feel a burning feeling in between my stomach and lungs and also in the lower part of stomach u could say my abdomen burns< have any of u experienced this,? is it due to ketosis or is it bec of the endurance work , or a combination?( my running endurance is pretty bad, bad vo2 max)
    Hey Egyptian Grok, welcome. I love that you're from egypt. I hope it all works out for everyone and you can have an open governmental system where everyone can participate equally.

Congrats on getting into ketosis. Since you're working out a lot keep your fluids and your salt intake up initially. You may lose some fluids from your body naturally. Try increasing your sodium intake by drinking a broth. Many here are using a bone broth with salt to replenish. Plus the bone broth has tons of great stuff in it.

I haven't experienced burns, but it does sound like heart burn. I'm not the expert here and I hope some of the people that are participating in this thread could share some light (hint hint: Paleobird...:-)). I experienced heataches for 4 days and then was in ketosis. I then went on a trip with my girl and one day was off my way of eating. The next day I went back on my ketogenic diet, and I became so sick...headache, body ache, nauseated, runny nose...it felt like a full blown flu. I did snap out of it the next day. i occasionally feel an onset of a headache coming, but I grab some salt and drink it with water, which eliminates that feeling. I haven't experienced heartburn, only when I eat or drink something that has grains or sugar will I typically get it. You also have to remember your body is adapting to this way of eating, so you may experience some things you typically wouldn't.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

dob
    May 1, 2013

Morning Measurements 6:22 am

Ketones: 3.3

Glucose: 100

I thought Ketones and Glucose were inveresely related, but that isn't the case. I came across a website/blog called Ketopia, which is a great resource, that may have an explanation to the rise in glucose while in ketosis. here is the link: Link.

I suspect my ketone levels were up because I front loaded my carb intake at lunch instead of spreading it out through the day. Other contributing factors to an increase in ketone levels maybe that I did yoga yesterday or that my caloric intake was less than my previous days.

Breakfast: 10:00 am

3.7 oz Free Range Chicken Thigh Meat, 2 oz. Grass Fed Ground Beef (85% lean), 3 oz Kale, 3.1 oz Avocado, 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, 1 Tbsp MCT oil, 2 oz Espresso, 2 small spoons Stevia, 1 Tsp Organic Cacao Powder, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,010

Fat: 89

Protein: 42

Carbs: 15.8 (net carbs 7.7)

15 minutes after I finished eating, I began having a tingly feeling up and down my body, especially in my forehead, hands and feet. Almost like a feeling of Euphoria. It feels good so I'm taking as being positive. My blood glucose levels 1 hour after eating was 100, which is stable and a good sign. Blood glucose after 2 hours of eating was 82. Feeling much better that my glucose levels are staying under a hundred for the most part and on most days.

Dinner: 5:00 pm

10.1 oz Grass Fed Ground Beef, 4.2 oz Mixed Baby Green Salad, 1.75 Tbsp MCT Oil, 1.5 Tbsp Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp ACV, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,278

Fats: 200

Protein: 119

Carbs: 2.5 (net carbs 1.7)

I messed up by possibly eating too much protein. I went to whole foods and had a lbs of grass fed ground beef grilled. I asked for have the patties divided equally amongst 4 patties, but the butcher prepping the patties decided on three. On the positive side, they did cook it perfectly, nice and pink in the center. I had two 5.85 oz patties and one 4.3 oz patties. I figured I could eat one in half patties to eat approximately 8.1 oz. Not even thinking about it, I fogot to split the the patty in half and ended up eating the whole thing for a total of 10.1 oz. I haven't eaten that much meat in a long time, so it's sitting like a rock at the bottom of stomach. I forgot how it feels to be really full, which I am. In any case, I'll see how my blood test come out tomorrow and I'll try to remember to weigh myself instead of running out the door.

Totals:

Calories: 2,287

Fats: 200 (76.6%)

Protein: 119 (20.3%)

Carbs: 18.3 (3.1%)

Maybe I won't have to eat till noon tomorrow. I feel an onset of of food coma. I hope I have time for a nice hike in the morning. Good night.

dob
    May 2, 2013

Morning Measurements 7:33 am

Ketones: 2.3
    Glucose: 72
    Weight: 208.6

My weight is at it's lowest since I began measuring my weight. I am 4.5 lbs below my beginning weight of 213.2. Maybe calories do matter, as the last two days I consumed less calories, around 2,000. I ate quite a bit yesterday so I'm a bit surprised at the weight loss. We'll see what happens tomorrow as the body comp measurements will really help me see if i'm losing muscle weight or fat. Who knows, I might just gain back what I lost. I think this journey will definitely be a roller coaster ride. What I find interesting is my ketones have gone down along with my blood glucose. I want to experiment a little bit. Next week, I'll try to maintain my caloric intake, reduce my fat intake, and increase my protein intake to compensate for the caloric loss in fats. If body comp gets better, than it's true what Phinney and Volek says in their book, "if you want to lose weight, the total amount of fat consumed will be reduced. If weight loss is not a goal, your dietary fat needs to be maintained maintained at the level that matches your energy expenditure, thus holding your body weight stable."

dob
    Exercise: Hiking - 12:00 40 minutes

Lunch - 1:00pm

2 Jumbo Free Range Eggs, 4 oz Grass Fed Beef, 3 oz kale, 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil, 2 Teaspoons of Lemon Juice, 2.1 oz Avacado, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 tsp Fish Oil

Dinner: 6:30pm

7.8 oz Grass Fed Beef, 3 oz Organic Mixed Green Salad, 1.75 Tbsp ACV, 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1.5 Tbsp MCT Oil, 1 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,996

Fats: 182 (80.8)
    Protein: 83 (16.3)
    Carbs: 14.9 (2.9%)

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey there.

Chicken is definitely a less than optimal protein source from both the O3/O6 perspective and the fat content.

Egyptiangroks burning sensation sounds like the result of the intense physical exercise going on. Transitioning to keto is a rather difficult time for your body. Might not be the optimal time to do this. But if it works, great.

And yes, calories still do matter. All the purple ketostixs in the world will not keep you from gaining weight if you eat massive amounts of food. The good thing is that ketosis makes keeping the calories in check so much easier.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast