Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I eat it all the time. Makes great meatloaf, meatballs, chile, etc.

If you are up for a little higher organ content, there is another online vendor I use called Grande Natural Meats (website ElkUSA.com) that also has a great petfood section including venison, bison, elk, goat. I think theirs is something like half offal half regular meat but it still tastes just like really meaty meat.

Somewhere around here there is a whole thread someone did about my pate recipe. Another good way to ease into offal.

I still eat berries and have no problem staying in ketosis. My health is great. BP is low. Iron is good. (I know because I donate blood). Never bothered to have a lipid panel as I think it's irrelevant. I've reduced my dependence on my seizure meds by 25% so far and that feels awesome as they had a metabolism suppressing effect.

No, I don't take supplements at all. I take what are sometimes called "Foodiments" or foods that are intended to give a boost in one area or another. E.g. oysters and seaweed for the iodine, liver pate for the vit A&C and iron. Liver really is natures multivitamin. You need to work up your courage and have some.

LHT stands for Lift Heavy Things. It is part of Mark's PB Fitness Guide which you can download for free. It's a series of scaled progressive bodyweight resistance exercises that are very effective for whole body functional fitness. (As opposed to isolating one muscle with one machine at the gym.)

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    I'm so plan jane compared to you. i typically make a burger patty with my salad or mix in my ground beef with kale and lemon juice...on top of it you're eating organ meat. I think i'm going to try the pet food meet since it has some organ meet. Can you even taste the organ meet? How do you cook your organ meat? Do you use a slow cooking method?

When you speak of liver, what kind of liver in particular are you referring to...Beef, duck, chicken, and i don't really know what other type of livers are available.

BTW, I love pate, so I guess I've tried some form of organ meat. But it's mixed and blended into this scrumptious paste. It's typically it's made from duck liver. Is your recipe with duck liver?

Never heard of the word offal until you referenced it. Now I know. Damn you're teaching me a ton. Okay, i'm going to be picking your brain for the next 10 years. Hope you don't mind. I'm a total kid when it comes to health and nutrition.

Speaking of picking your brain, have you heard that a shot of apple cider vinegar can stabilize your fasting glucose levels?

Love the idea of foodiments. I eat brazil nuts for selenium, but other than that I haven't really broken down how my foods contribute to my daily nutritional requirements. i do supplement with vitamin D & E. I take Coq10, Fish Oil, and Curcumin bc of my family history of heart disease and cancer. I take iodine because as a kid and into my adult life my limbs were always cold and I considered myself cold blooded. But that's been getting much better since I switched to a low cab diet. I'm also concerned about my iodine intake because my mother is allergic to it (go figure, she's korean and seaweed is a staple in their diet) and probably didn't get a lot in the womb or as a child. I take magnesium as well. Can liver eliminate some of these supplements?

Man I have to skim through Mark's book again and I'll have to check out the fitness guide. For my resistance training routine, i also use body weight and resistance bands type exercises. I do it in the style of body by science...lift as heavy and as slow as you can for roughly 1:30 or till exhaustion. My goal is for a year and see how my body responds. In the end it's great bc it's 30 minutes once a week. I'm actually going to do a workout in a few minutes.

BTW, I've noticed you spoke about bone broth. What kind of bones (don't tell me, you're getting it from the pet section as well. :-) just checked it out)? How long are you cooking it? does it come out a white milky color? As I said earlier, my mother is korean and bone broth is a soup that is eaten quite regularly. AMAZING but the prep is interesting as it requires a quick boil to remove the coagulated blood and strands of meat on the bone, then a long boil. Probably not grass fed meet, but they tend to remove as much fat as possible. If you're ever in a bind, go to a korean restaurant and order solong tang without the noodles. Delicious.

Last, awesome that you have been able to reduce your seizure meds by 25%. Hopefully, one day, it can be 100%. Amazing what the right kinds of food can do for your body.

Gotta run. Take care.

richard is offline Senior Member
    I make bone broth from either pork, lamb or beef bones. I use the pressure cooker and cook for 3 hours. Then I simply keep the top on, let it cool and refrigerate. This way, it is sterile and can be refrigerated when it's cooled off. Then I can take what I want which is usually jelly and fat, and put the two together (jelly and however much fat I want) and warm it in a mug in the microwave. It's AWESOME.

Paleobird Guest
    Good point, richard. The next "kitchen toy" I need is a pressure cooker.

Bone broth definitely counts as a foodiment. I make it a point to have some daily. No need for CoQ10 or calcium. I make bone broth in the slow cooker. It's easy that way not being tied to the stove. I just let the bones cook with a splash of ACV for about 48 hours. If the bones get the the point where the dog is not even interested, then you know you have gotten all the goodness out of them. It's more like a honey color than milky. I get bones when I get my meat in bulk.

When the organ meat is mixed in, no it just tastes like hamburger. This is the how to on pate'
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html

Any kind of liver will work for pate'. Chicken is the mildest flavored. My personal favorites are calf or lamb.

There's a poster on here you might find interesting named peril. He's an Aussie guy who went Primal after having a heart attack. You might find his supplements and spices interesting.

dob
    Hey Richard, nice of you to stop by. Love your thread. Just hope Coco Puff can stop puffing his magic. You don't know how many times I wrote a reply and just stopped. I'm thinking that responding is only adding fuel to his fire. What is the definition of insanity? Anyway, glad to see you and chime in whenever you want. or if you need a break from Coco. I hope I didn't just jinks myself.

Also, I'm back in class as Paleobird is schooling me...in a good way. OMG she has some amazing resources and ideas. She's been in ketosis for five years and, from the things I'm hearing, she is making great progress. Read her post as to why she began eating more meat in her diet, it reads like an article. I wish I could write as well as her. English wasn't my favorite...love math.

I have to make bone broth. It was always my mother making it. I even love the smell of it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Paleo, the only pressure cooker that I'm aware of is made by Fissler. It's some German Brand that every korean has to have. I think everyone in my mother's clan has one. When one of them gets it the other does to. It's a culture of homogenized people, so group think is prevalent. I'm also going to respond to your post tomorrow. I need to post my results for the day and want to unwind. Today was a long day and game of thrones and mad men let's me escape for the evening.

Talk to both of you soon.

dob
    Workout: 6:30 pm

Total Time: 32 minutes
    Time Under Load: 15:46

Standard Pushups
    Pull Downs
    Shoulder Press
    Leg Press
    Narrow Grip Push Ups
    Dead Lifts
    Standing Skull Crushers
    Standard Curls
    Lunges
    Chair Dips
    Free weight Curls
    Shoulder Side Raises

Since my calves were still sore from my hike, I decided to replace my calves exercise with lunges. I also think I'm going to replace my leg presses, which are essential squats, with lunges and reintroduce calves next week. I also had some unexpected events that occurred in the morning and felt a bit worn by the time I wanted to workout. I'm wondering if pushing myself on my hike and not having enough recovery time caused me to be a bit more tired for my workout today as well. Who knows but as soon as I began my workout, I knew I had to push through. Some notes: I need to increase the weights for my pull downs. Since my main focus has been on form, I need to start working toward fatigue on all my exercises. I'm also going to workout every 7 days and Sunday will be my workout day, which will give me two days of recovery from my hike or yoga.

Dinner: 7:30 pm

8 oz Grass Fed Beef, 4 oz Mixed Green Salad, 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil, 1.5 Tbsp, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.

Calories: 732
    Fat: 62
    Protein: 43
    Carbs: 2.4 (1.6 net carbs)

Went a bit over on my protein intake.

Totals:

Calories: 2,061
    Fat:188 (80.3%)
    Protein: 85 (16.1%)
    Carbs: 19.1 (3.6%)

dob
    Day 10

Measurements: 6:42am
    Ketones: 3.0
    Glucose: 67
    Weight...I forgot to weigh myself. Maybe a good thing.

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Rookie questions here as I have never monitored this stuff.

What do you use to measure ketones and glucose levels? Do you suggest anything specific that is cost effective? Randomly searching Amazon yields a wide array of products. I guess the better question, what do you prefer and think is necessary?

dob
    hey TTBluse, welcome. No way, I'm a total rookie as well. I figured monitoring is the only way for me to stay on top of my progress. I'm following in the footstep of Jimmy Moore, the Diet Doctor, Peter Attia, BJJcaveman and others on different forums, where they recommend Abbott Precision Xtra.

I would suggest you go to Jimmy's blog/website under n=1, where he does a side by side comparison with another device called the nova max (can't recall exactly). He also provides a link where you can get either device for free with 10 glucose strips, lancet device, and lancets (the dreaded needle that pokes you...actually, you barely feel the prick).

From what I read, the precision is a bit more accurate than the nova max. Also the nova max does not read ketone levels below .5. On the flip side the nova max strips are cheaper than the precision. If you decide on the precision, order the ketone strips from canada (universal drugstore), which are $2 a pop, and order over $100 to get free shipping. Be patient, it took exactly 2 weeks and no tracking is provided, which is a bit nerve racking.

I also ordered the glucose strip off of amazon, roughly $45 for 100. Lancets I ordered from universal (took advantage of the free shipping). Hope this helps.

dob
    Paleo, all this talk about food is really making me want to become more adventurous with my plain jane WOE.

I'm definitely going to begin trying the pet food to see if I can stomach the taste of organ meat. Have to plan for it, so it may take me a bit of time. I'll have to order a mixture of meats for my first order. My GF is going to kill me.

Pate is definitely the way to ease into eating liver. Your pate is so easy!!! So any special prep required for liver, devaining, washing, slicing, etc. When cooking the liver for pate, how long? Seared? Cooking at low heat or high?

Keep it coming...love the knowledge you're providing.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast