Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 2

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Went hiking for an hour...3 miles. Felt great. really pushed myself. Time to eat dinner.

dob
    Dinner: 6:30pm

5 oz Lamb Chops, 4 oz Mixed Green Salad, 4 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1.5 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 867
    Fats: 71
    Protein: 41
    Carbs: 2.4 (1.6 Net Carbs)

Totals

Calories: 2,210
    Fats: 202 (79.8%)
    Protein: 92 (16.2%)
    Carbs: 23 (Net Carbs 14.8) (4%)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Hi Paleobird, Appreciate the input. I agree that chicken is not the ideal protein in terms of omega fat ratios, but I am supplementing with 2 tsp of Fish Oil daily (morn/evening) which contains 2,250mg of per serving to offset my daily O6 intake and I also rarely eat cooked fish (not a big fan unless it's white fish, halibut or sea bass); however raw is a different story. I also had a ton of leftover thight meat after cooking it for the GF and I hate being wasteful, so I become he garbage disposal for leftovers. I usually eat chicken two to three times a week, which isn't terrible for 14 meals a week. I try to mix up my meat intake, by eating grass fed lamb and beef, sashimi, and some pork products. I'll indulge at times with bacon, but save that for a Saturday morning with my GF child.

I think if you have early detection of cancer, then try alternative medicines and if not effective maybe conventional is a good option. Although, I have read stories where cancer survivors have had surgery and decided against cemo and radiation for natural remedies. I guess it all depends on what works best for that individual. Your statement is so true, if only I known then what I know now.

I also came across Dr. Georgia Ede's website. I believe she is also performing her n=1 experiment with Ketosis, using Dr. Seyfried's plan as guide.

I appreciate your input and welcome your point of view or if there is an alternative way of looking at something, I'm always interested.

Thanks!
    Bringing your O6 down is better than trying to bring your O3 up to match it as you should have a fairly low level of both.

It's good that you mix up the protein sources. Personally I don't eat any pork or poultry other than game birds and occasional wild boar. USWellness meats sells Beef Bacon that is awesome.

Every case of cancer is unique. The miracle cure anecdotes are mostly to be found on the websites of people selling you the "miracle" cures. Trying alternative methods first might be fine but you also could have a fast moving tumor and, by the time you figured out that the alternative stuff was snake oil, it would be too late for "conventional" medicine to help. This is a real danger.

Old joke: Q: What do you call alternative medicine that actually works? A : Medicine.

Dr Ede's situation is complicated so much by her multiple food intolerances. It is an interesting n=1 as she works around all that.

dob
    Measurements:

Ketones: 3.1
    Glucose:91

Weight: 211.4
    Body Fat %: 20%
    Lean Body Mass: 169.12 (up approximately .22 lbs)

Waist: 39.5"
    Hips: 41"
    Chest: 44"
    Arms: 15.25"
    Legs: 22.25"

A bit sore from my hike from yesterday. I'm wondering if the hike pushed my ketone levels up. I'm not sure why my weight increased, but I'm happy that my lean body mass has increased. I'll continue as is for the next week before I consider any adjustments. So far so good.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Bringing your O6 down is better than trying to bring your O3 up to match it as you should have a fairly low level of both.

It's good that you mix up the protein sources. Personally I don't eat any pork or poultry other than game birds and occasional wild boar. USWellness meats sells Beef Bacon that is awesome.

Every case of cancer is unique. The miracle cure anecdotes are mostly to be found on the websites of people selling you the "miracle" cures. Trying alternative methods first might be fine but you also could have a fast moving tumor and, by the time you figured out that the alternative stuff was snake oil, it would be too late for "conventional" medicine to help. This is a real danger.

Old joke: Q: What do you call alternative medicine that actually works? A : Medicine.

Dr Ede's situation is complicated so much by her multiple food intolerances. It is an interesting n=1 as she works around all that.
    I agree, obtaining an O3/O6 balance naturally is better than using fish oil to create the balance. I found an interesting chart online that converted to excel, showing the levels of O3/O6 in different foods. I'm trying to attach it but I'm kinda new to this so not sure if I can.Omega 3 to 6 Chart.pdf

I love that uswellness carries 75% grass fed beef ground beef. Thanks..what a great resource.

Have you heard of Margaret's Corner. She lives with multiple myeloma and is treating her cancer with a daily regiment of curcumin and fish oil (and other supplements). She has been able to control the myeloma for many years. Here is the link: Multiple myeloma blog curcumin blog I think you may find it interesting, or if I were to assume correctly, you probably have already discovered it. Many individuals that chime in on her website and follow her blog are living with myeloma and using their own mixture of supplements to survive. It's a fascinating.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but when you say you're in ketosis, what are your macro goals. What do you eat primarily? Do you take supplements? What kind of exercise do you do?

dob
    Morning Coffee: 8:30 am

2.5 oz Espresso, 1 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter, 2 Tbsp of MCT Oil and EVCO

Calories: 562
    Fats: 67
    Protein: 0.1
    Carbs: 0

Had to run out the door without eating breakfast, so I only had a chance to drink my morning concoction. I haven't eaten and it's 12:30pm. I feel great, awake, alert, and clear headed. Maybe it's the caffeine, but maybe it's the combination. Kinda loving it. Definitely need to eat soon as I have a workout day coming up tomorrow, which is short but intense. Actually wish I could do it right now.

dob
    Lunch: 1:30 pm

3 xl free range eggs, 3 oz Grass Fed Beef, 3 oz of Kale, 2.8 oz Avocado, 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp EVCO, 2 Brazil Nuts, 1 tsp Fish Oil

Calories:
    Fats: 67
    Protein: 42
    Carbs: 19.2 (11.7 net carbs)

Dinner: 6:30 pm

6 oz Grass Fed Ground Beef, 4.5 oz Aspargus, 2 Tbsp EVCO, .5 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter

Calories: 696

Fats: 59
    Protein: 34
    Carbs: 5 (2.3 net carbs)

Totals:

Calories: 2,098

Fats: 193 (81.3%)
    Protein: 76 (14.3%)
    Carbs: 24 (4.5%)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    I love that uswellness carries 75% grass fed beef ground beef.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but when you say you're in ketosis, what are your macro goals. What do you eat primarily? Do you take supplements? What kind of exercise do you do?
    USWM has another that they sell in the Petfood section because "human consumption" beef has to be at least 75%. This "Petburger" is 5%liver, 5%heart, and the rest is 65/35 meat all human quality product and processing. They also have just the regular 75/25 meat but getting the offal added in is a nice way to keep a small but steady amount of all those wonderful nutrients going in your diet. And the "Petburger" is way cheaper! I was going to buy a grinder and make my own until I found that stuff.

I aim for macros about of 75/20/5 but I'm not really tracking that closely these days. I find that sticking with mostly animal sourced foods makes ketosis a lot easier. I don't feel obligated to include X# servings of veggie and "work around" them nutritionally.
    More info here:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76160.html

For exercise I stick with the PBF. Lots of walking (I have a dog) plus some sprints and trying to remember to work in my LHT workouts.

dob
    Day 9 - 4/28/13

Measurements:

Ketones: 3.2
    Glucose:87
    Weight: 211.2

Breakfast: 8:30am

Coffee - 2.5 oz Espresso, 1 Tbsp Butter, 2 Tbsp MCT Oil & EVCO, 2 Tiny Scoops of Pure Stevia Extract
    Breakfast: 3 XL Free Range Eggs, 3 oz Grass Fed Beef, 3 oz Organic Tuscan Kale, 1 Tbsp EVCO, 1.8 oz Avocado, 25 grams Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, Fish Oil, Brazil Nuts

Calories: 1,329
    Fat: 126
    Protein: 42
    Carbs: 16.7 (Net 11.1)

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    USWM has another that they sell in the Petfood section because "human consumption" beef has to be at least 75%. This "Petburger" is 5%liver, 5%heart, and the rest is 65/35 meat all human quality product and processing. They also have just the regular 75/25 meat but getting the offal added in is a nice way to keep a small but steady amount of all those wonderful nutrients going in your diet. And the "Petburger" is way cheaper! I was going to buy a grinder and make my own until I found that stuff.

I aim for macros about of 75/20/5 but I'm not really tracking that closely these days. I find that sticking with mostly animal sourced foods makes ketosis a lot easier. I don't feel obligated to include X# servings of veggie and "work around" them nutritionally.
    More info here:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76160.html

For exercise I stick with the PBF. Lots of walking (I have a dog) plus some sprints and trying to remember to work in my LHT workouts.
    So interesting..I'll have to check out the petfood section, though placing the order is going to be a mental hurdle I'm going to have to deal with...reminds me of when I started first incorporating more fats into my diet. It took me a while to fully commit. I like the idea of getting organ meats and being cheaper than standard ground beef is a bonus. I've never tried organ meats, so having it minced with ground beef may help the adjustment. So you've tried it? How often do you eat it? I heard organ meats should be eaten once a week?

Thanks for the link and great info. I felt like I was reading a magazine article. After my experiment, I'll see what direction I want to head in. I may stay in ketosis, but i really do miss eating berries. So now that you're eating mostly animal sourced foods, how is your health (lipid panels), nutrition in your system? Do you take any supplements?

what's lht workouts? Not familiar with the acronym.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast