Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 12

Marcie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I decided to do the fast for several reasons. I first checked into it because after 2 weeks primal the scale went up, down then back up so I was thinking about low carb, I try reading the book (pretty sure I have a bit of ADD(if a bit is even possible)) but I jump around to what I'm looking for. I found these threads on low carb and high fat and then went back to the book. There is a history of cancer in my family and my mom passed away at age 46 (my current age) ; I want more time than this! I read the IF is considered cancer prevention; Mark explains that a planned fast can help cleanse your body and I thought it also might get my weight loss going too. So many reasons but I'm on my second day of fast (alternate days) and I get some hunger but it passes and I have lots of energy. It baffles me probably because whenever I would go too long without eating I was weak, shaky and tired. I know now that was the carbs.

Everyone else seems to be doing great as well. We rock!

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I didn't post my food and results for yesterday. The following is for May 10:

Lunch: 1:00

6 oz Lamb Chops, 3.1 oz Chicken Breast, 1.5 oz Tuscan Kale, 2.6 oz White Mushrooms, 2 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, 1 Tbsp EVOO, 1.5 oz Avocado, 2 Brazil Nuts, 2 Tsp Fish Oil

Calories: 1,086

Fats: 92

Protein: 54

Carbs: 10.5 (net carbs 5.6)

Dinner: 4:30 pm

2.65 oz Grass Fed Beef Liver, 4 oz Wild Sockeye Salmon, 3 oz Mixed Green Salad, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, 1 Tbsp EVOO, 1 Tbsp EVCO .3 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter

Calories: 724.6

Fats: 59

Protein: 43

Carbs: 5.4 (net carbs 4.8)

Totals:

Calories: 1810.6

Fats: 151 (75%)

Protein: 97 (21%)

Carbs: 15.9 (4%)

I was at Whole Foods picking up a box of mixed green salad and took a look at the butcher section. I was considering buying some leaner pieces of grass fed beef, round, to make beef jerky, when I came across grass fed beef liver. I've been discussing this with P-bird, and wanted to try it because of nutrient density of this organ. I love how the meats that are less than desireable are cheaper and taste better, like hanger steak. When I got home, I sliced it up into strips like jerky and wanted to give it a shot. I only cooked a bit and overcooked one piece, had a bit of a gritty texture, and the other was pink in the middle. I'd have to say it was better than I was expecting...maybe I jedi mind tricked myself with the low expectations. I don't think I can take a lbs of it and go at it, but a bit here and there, I can deal with. I'm going to cook a bit for lunch and dinner tomorrow and freeze the rest. I read that liver should be ate in 1-2 days.

dob
    May 11, 2011 - Day 22

May 11, 2013

Measurements: 7:15 am

Weight: 204.4
    Ketones: 3.1
    Glucose:83

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    I decided to do the fast for several reasons. I first checked into it because after 2 weeks primal the scale went up, down then back up so I was thinking about low carb, I try reading the book (pretty sure I have a bit of ADD(if a bit is even possible)) but I jump around to what I'm looking for. I found these threads on low carb and high fat and then went back to the book. There is a history of cancer in my family and my mom passed away at age 46 (my current age) ; I want more time than this! I read the IF is considered cancer prevention; Mark explains that a planned fast can help cleanse your body and I thought it also might get my weight loss going too. So many reasons but I'm on my second day of fast (alternate days) and I get some hunger but it passes and I have lots of energy. It baffles me probably because whenever I would go too long without eating I was weak, shaky and tired. I know now that was the carbs.

Everyone else seems to be doing great as well. We rock!

All great reasons. Keep it going. You're doing great.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by splunky View Post
    I ended up finishing the day pretty well yesterday. I did eat a bit more than necassary due to cravings etc. but choices were great so am not too worried.

This mornings measurements:
    FBG 100. (Not sure why it was so high)
    Weight: 146.6. Down 1.8lbs overnight.

Here is today's food log:
    Breakfast: about 3 oz salmon, 1.25 cups cauliflower w 1 tbsp butter.
    Lunch: 4 c romaine w 1/2 c cucumber and 2 tbsp EVOO, 2 tbsp ACV, 2 oz goat cheese.
    Dinner: 3/4 c shredded roast beef, zucchini sticks coated w butter and Parm cheese.

The totals look like this:
    Cals: 1690
    Fat: 128
    Carbs: 30
    Protein: 108

I made a gravy with the beef fat/broth left in the crockpot from cooking the beef. I steamed 4 carrots and 6 celery sticks then added the beef broth and onions I cooked the beef in and blended it in the blender. I out 1/2 of this gravy in with the beef and have no idea how to measure that for my data. Thoughts?
    Also, why would my morning sugar be so high? I am incredibly tired due to not sleeping well which is temporary-could that be it? Also, it was 9am since I slept in so late, would that effect it?
    I also have days where my FBG is hovering around 100. It's kinda all over the place. I don't worry about it because on days when I've had higher FBG readings, I tested a few times throughout the day, before meals and after, and my BG ended up being between 80-95. I think as we get further into being keto adapted, our BG will also become more stable. I think every n=1 experiment I see BG and ketones jumps around. I don't think you have to worry about it since you're below 100. It could be the higher protein intake. It could be that your veggies have some natural sugars and starches, like cauliflower or zucchini. If you wan to get to the bottom of this, try changing things around one thing at a time, but if you're losing weight and your body measurements are improving, don't worry about it for now. You're eating nutritious foods and by what you're cooking, you get to enjoy what you eat.

I would try to measure all the components of your gravy separately, and add it together. I really can't see any other way. I think you'll have to make some assumptions regarding the beef/fat broth.

I think I came across a threads and articles regarding ketosis and sleeping on MDA. Try doing a search under forums and on the home page. I kind of recall some remedies, which are to sleep in complete darkness, magnesium in the evening, vitamin D earlier in the day, don't eat to late, and not too much fat too late in the evening. Other than that, I'm don't really know.

You're choice are good and you're eating natural goodness. Love the idea of making the gravy.

dob
    Lunch: 12:45 pm

3 oz Grass Fed Liver, 3.5 oz Wild Sockeye Salmon, 3 oz Mixed Green Salad, 2.9 oz Avocado, 1.5 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tbsp EVOO, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, 1.5 Tbsp ACV

Calories:

Fats: 74
    Protein: 44
    Carbs: 13 (6.8 net carbs)

Can't believe I ate liver again. Still not that bad, but will freeze the rest for next week. I think once a week, for two meals is good enough for now. I just bought grass fed neck bones and bone marrow from the local farmers market. Thank you Holle from Novey Ranch. (no this is not a shameless plug, it was just easy and convenient and will buy again from them next week.) Using the neck bones to make my bone broth. The bone marrow, I'll roast and eat the marrow first, and then boil it to death.

dob
    Paleobird, bought a pound of liver and have ate it twice. Not bad and get a jolt of energy. Thank you for the suggestions.

Is it okay to freeze it and eat it later? I read you can freeze it and eat it raw, like a pill?

splunky is offline Senior Member
    Today I have done ok, but not great. Got incredibly snarky while the ret of my household (4kiddos and hubby) were nibbling on apples and PB and popcorn. I ended up nibbling on flaked coconut. Good food choice, just too much of it.
    I also remembered that I used to take chromium to stabilize my blood sugar. Diabetes runs in my family and I have had morning sugars over 100 on and off. So last night I took some before bed and my morning sugar was 84!!!

Weight 146.0
    FBS 84
    I will try to get ketosis shortly as I know I will be in ketosis today or tomorrow.

Breakfast:
    1/2 avocado, 1.5 duck eggs

Lunch:
    Roasted beef from last night. 2 oz sharp cheddar, handful of cucumber and celery slices.
    Snack: probly 3/4 cup of flaked coconut. I also ate 1 apple slice w PB (sigh-cant be that bad)

Dinner: will be
    1/2 bag spinach cooked (helps in the umm.....elimination department)
    Leftover beef from last night
    Will put in my nutritional data later and report back. Oddly enough, even with the higher fat content/nibbling today I a, fairly hungry.

Dob: thanks for your input re fasting sugars. The sleep issue is not from LC its more circumstantial. I already take magnesium nightly as well. Thanks tho!
    Also, I am super worried about muscle loss. How can I be sure I don't lose alot of muscle? Am already pretty weak and workouts are minimal due to adrenal issues. Just working my way back to a routine every other day.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Paleobird, bought a pound of liver and have ate it twice. Not bad and get a jolt of energy. Thank you for the suggestions.

Is it okay to freeze it and eat it later? I read you can freeze it and eat it raw, like a pill?
    Yes. If you are going to eat it raw, it should be left frozen for two solid weeks. Supposedly this is how long it takes to get rid of any parasites by freezing the little buggers to death.

If you have a dehydrator, you can also desiccate it and then put it in smoothies and soups.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You guys are doing great!!! Keep up the good work!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast