Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Log: Join me page 10

splunky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Aw thanks! Yup, for me, accountability is key! I am pretty bad right now, cravings and such have been tricky to control. I am the only one in my family eating well, but since I'm the cook its not too hard .
    For me, it's a little about weightloss but mostly about eating to live, and my health mostly. I have Celiac, Hypothyroid, and Adrenal Insufficiency. When I eat well, I feel awesome! I plan on staying around 20 carbs for a week or so to get me kick started and then going up around 50 or as high as I can go while being in ketosis. It's actually pretty hard on my adrenals so I have to tweak alot. Thanks again and see ou tomorrow!

Marcie is offline Senior Member
    Hi dob (and everyone else). You are becoming our Guru, or is that 'Grokru'? I made it through the day with only liquids, am so proud of myself. Also a walk with a few sprints (2). Now I'm going to get to bed for a good long sleep.

I am learning too, splunky! Good luck.

splunky is offline Senior Member
    So far so good today.
    Weight 148.4. (This is only 6lbs from my delivery weight my baby #4)
    FBG 94

Breakfast: 3 ish cups of romaine lettuce with 3/4cup chicken and ACV, 2tsp EVOO. I was starving within 2 hrs or less. So ate 1/2 oz of goat cheese while making lunch.

Lunch: another salad like above. I added 2 oz goat cheese and 2 slices of bacon hoping it will last me longer this time.

I know my body does really well with LOTS of greens and am craving salads right now. I haven't figured the nutritional data yet but will put a total down when I log dinner. It's day 1 so won't be too worried if its not perfect, am just focusing on choices today and tomorrow.

Should I be counting my fish oil supplements in my daily fat totals? That would certainly help bring up my totals. I've decided to stick with the 2000 calories a day, after I figured out different ratios, this is the easiest for me to work with and it is just a goal, not written in stone. I created a meal plan for today but still falling short of my totals so I'll maybe try and add a sauce or something. I was just buying olive oil but looks like you are all using EVOO (I had to look that one up) so off to shop again. I bought coconut sugar but even at 4 grams of carbs it is more than I want for the next few weeks. Also, my youngest 2 have lost a little weight and are proud of themselves and so am I. Now if I can get them off pop completely!

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    May 9, 2013

Measurements: 7:15 am

Weight: 205.8
    Ketones: 2.7
    Glucose: 97

Hiking: 7:30 am - 30 minutes
    I sprinted 3 legs and pushed myself hard so I could make it back in time to take the kid to school. Worked out perfectly.

Morning Coffee: 8:30 am - 2 Shot Americano

Lunch: 1:00 pm

8 oz. Grass Fed Beef, 3 oz Tuscan Kale, 2.6 oz Avocado, 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, 1 Tbsp MCT Oil, 2 Brazil Nuts, 2 Tsp Fish Oil
    Calories: 994
    Fats: 86
    Protein: 47
    Carbs: 14.6 (7.4 net carbs)

After Marcieasked me how she should break her fast, I decided to investigate it a bit further. I kinda realized that I was eating in a way that has been categorized as intermittent fasting, but in such a disciplined manner. Meaning I can only eat between so and so hours and have 16 hours where I'm not eating. It's kind of worked out based on my hunger level and how I felt, which I find that I'm fitting into this category of IF. I read all of the positives, which I won't list for you, but you can read about it from many of the sites that promote the idea. I decided for now that the best way to IF is to eat all of my meals within a 2-3 hour window because most of the fat burning that occurs between 18-24 hour period within a 24 hour fast. Others promote 40 hour fasts once a week, and I just can't stomach the idea yet. Today, I wanted to see if I could hold off a bit and start eating at 1:00 instead of the typical window I get hungry in, between 11:00 and 12:00. I did and it felt pretty darn good. I'll see how my stomach feels tomorrow.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Should I be counting my fish oil supplements in my daily fat totals? That would certainly help bring up my totals. I've decided to stick with the 2000 calories a day, after I figured out different ratios, this is the easiest for me to work with and it is just a goal, not written in stone. I created a meal plan for today but still falling short of my totals so I'll maybe try and add a sauce or something. I was just buying olive oil but looks like you are all using EVOO (I had to look that one up) so off to shop again. I bought coconut sugar but even at 4 grams of carbs it is more than I want for the next few weeks. Also, my youngest 2 have lost a little weight and are proud of themselves and so am I. Now if I can get them off pop completely!
    Since fish oil is essentially a fat, i would count it toward my totals.

I use a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I don't cook with EVOO because it can oxidize, which is unhealthy. I use it primarily in salads. If you have a costco membership, get their Organic EVOO. I came across an article where different EVOO were tested and costco's EVOO was pure whereas many other brands were a mixed blend olive oil. When you're at costco, see if Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is available as well. I use it for cooking, but at medium temperatures only as it has a low smoking point. The great part of EVCO is that it promotes ketosis, fat burning and weight loss. Here is a website with a bunch of info regarding the benefits of EVCO - Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Health Benefits.

Your question about how to come out of a fast yesterday, led me to investigate a bit. I read that some use eggs and a little less fattening foods at first to break the fast. I didn't realize I was actually fasting as that just kind of happened naturally. For myself, i just eat a meal as I was suppose to. I also read and heard that some use a broth to break a fast then begin eating after a half hour. I guess it will depend on how you react to the foods you eat after your fast.

dob
    Dinner:

9 oz Grass Fed Beef, 2.5 oz cauliflower, 2.5 oz brussel sprouts, 1.5 Tbsp EVCO, 1 Tbsp EVOO, .5 Tbsp Butter

Calories: 1,018

Fats: 86
    Protein: 51
    Carbs: 10.1 (7.4 net carbs)

Totals:

Calories: 2,038

Fats: 172 (75.9%)
    Protein: 98 (19.2%)
    Carbs: 24.7 (4.8%)

I've been using Calorie Count to track my food intake online. I just discovered that it's not the most accurate site out there. My total calories was misrepresented by 40 calories. Use it at your own risk. I'll have to go back and check all my calcs. WTF!!!

dob
    Ketosis Calculations LK.zip

Marcie, I created an excel spreadsheet so you can calculate your macro nutrient calcs. Please see the attachments. All cells in yellow can be manipulated. If you have questions, feel free to ask hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't get around to finishing my response to your previous post. It's great that your kids are joining you for the ride. I wish I could do the same, but i don't have final say on his diet. What I do know is that when we don't buy sweets or pop, he is initially persistent about voicing his desire for it, but it eventually stops. As parents/guardians/uncles, we buy what your kids eat so it's ultimately our responsibility. If you don't buy it they won't have it. It sucks in the beginning, but they get over it.

Are you from the midwest? My father is and when we went to visit his side of the family, everyone said pop. Love that word.

So here are my daily totals

Breakfast - eggs benedict - 2 poached eggs, 2 slices Canadian Bacon (staying true to my roots), hollandaise sauce, coffee, cream
    snack - macadamia nuts

Supper - 9 oz beef tenderloin with a cream crab sauce, spring greens & tomato salad with 2 Tbsp EVOO and I had to have a glass of wine.

I weighed and measured to totals are
    calories - 2060
    fat - 178.4
    protein - 101
    carbs - 18.6

High protein, I know. Try to get less tomorrow. I'm actually not there yet, still have 1/2 cup whipped cream to consume. I doubt that will happen, I'll try and find something else to fill that spot as I have a few carbs to play with. This eating fat is hard with low carbs.

I'm breathless. I'm sure you just didn't do the spreadsheet for me but my brain thanks you over and over. When I first started on here last year, I was a reluctant to post threads/comments as some people were extremely judgemental. So glad I found the right spots to ask questions and look for guidance. And so glad I came back. Cheers!

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast