Thread: Question about recovery from BBS HIT? page

jmsmall is offline Senior Member

Question about recovery from BBS HIT?

Shop Now
    I've now done a total of two routines; it is real interesting going all the way to failure. Here's my question:

first time I was pretty wiped out the next day and as a doc I really don't need to be that wiped out.

Second time I worked out harder and the next day was OK but got tired about 3 and took a short power nap.

So the trend is positive but I wondered about others' experience with this--is it normal for the next day to feel pretty wiped out or does it get better?

Jimbo
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    By the way, BBS is Body By Science and HIT is High Intensity Training for any newbies. I'd like to suggest when you use abbreviations put in what they mean for the new dudes and dudettes! Hard to find out what SS, ROBAT, etc mean.

SS I'm actually not sure; is it Starting Strength?
    ROBAT is Run Over By A Truck (muscle soreness.)
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

nburgraff is offline Member
    Well at first the sessions that take you to max are going to make you feel totally wiped out the next day, that is completely normal. Upping your carbs right after the session will definitely make you feel a lot better the next day as well. The longer you do the workouts, the better it will get because your body will be more efficient at shuttling fuel to replenish glycogen, or better at gluconeogenesis (making glucose from non-carbohydrate sources) if you are very low carb.
    But in some ways there is just not much of a way to get around the feeling of complete exhaustion, especially when you go to complete exhaustion.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    By the way, BBS is Body By Science and HIT is High Intensity Training for any newbies. I'd like to suggest when you use abbreviations put in what they mean for the new dudes and dudettes! Hard to find out what SS, ROBAT, etc mean.

SS I'm actually not sure; is it Starting Strength?
    ROBAT is Run Over By A Truck (muscle soreness.)
    lol... I got ROBAT from Doug McGuff's blog. You might consider perusing his site and his W.O.W. (workout of the week). Actually ROBAT is not the same as muscle soreness which as you know is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). The differentiation is ROBAT is a deep fatigue as in your CNS is fried. Or at least thats the theory.

I know where your coming from. I have been doing this routine for over a year and consistently did it on either Friday evening or Saturday morning because it takes some time to get back to normal. My understanding is that you can avoid this excess deep fatigue by not pressing beyond concentric muscle failure for too long. When I started I would hit failure and continue to fight it for a 10 second static hold before then taking as long as I could to lower the weight slowly. This creates the most ROBAT for sure. If you just hit that failure and lower the weight you may find you have less issue and you can consider upping the intensity with that static hold trick and slow lowering at a later date.

Personally, this was all excellent and I made consistent gains for over a year. Problem is I couldn't leave well enough alone and found ways to continue ramping the intensity with other HIT tricks like dropsets and such. Really can wreck you for work. Now I'm just taking a few weeks rest at light weights and more "standard" approach. But BBS is a great approach and I will be back to it... perhaps with the original intensity of a year ago instead though so I don't burn out. Best of luck with it! I think once you get a couple more workouts under your belt you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.

krisjkr is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    BBS is Body By Science and HIT is High Intensity Training for any newbies