Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Return to CW: A Horror Story page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fresa View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. My mother has celiac's, and has for a long time (back before grocery stores had "gluten-free" sections, haha). I have always assumed I would eventually contract full-on celiac's at some point, so this could definitely be the trigger.
    Now that I know you have a family history of celiac, I would presume it is highly likely that you have it right now. The fact that you have been consuming gluten for months means this is an ideal time to be tested for it. Do you have insurance that would cover testing now? If it turns out you do have it, the school ought to be willing to make some sort of accommodations for you, since it is highly unhealthy for a person with celiac to continue to eat gluten.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you tell them you are allergic to wheat/gluten?

Maybe you aren't, but for all intensive purposes you may as well could be. If food is making you feel this shitty, listen to your body, you shouldn't be eating it. I find it odd that the program you are in has a rule that you cannot make requests of food in your host home. What about the people who are legitimately allergic to stuff? Like the people who go into respiratory trauma from eating pistachios?

I am sure the Spanish family can understand your food allergies, if not that, smell the evidence of stomach discomfort from the bathroom.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

fresa is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I find it odd that the program you are in has a rule that you cannot make requests of food in your host home. What about the people who are legitimately allergic to stuff? Like the people who go into respiratory trauma from eating pistachios?
    You are allowed to have allergies, but it has to be something that you mention when you sign up for housing. I didn't choose to say anything, in large part because I didn't realize how much bread there would actually be and I hadn't had any stomach reaction to gluten before Primal. The things you learn later on, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The fact that you have been consuming gluten for months means this is an ideal time to be tested for it. Do you have insurance that would cover testing now?
    I am not sure if our insurance here covers it, it is not the same as what I have at home. I can definitely ask the program managers if it would be covered though, they would know I'm sure. That is a good idea, I hadn't thought about getting it done since I have been eating gluten anyway. If I can't here, I will when I get home. It might be nice to have it documented in the future, if it really is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Claiming that your families diet is Mediterranean and is the reason for siestas seems disingenuous to me. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time though.
    I only meant that eating such a large amount of food, some of which is heavy in carbs, can quite exhausting, and doing so during the middle of the day makes it really easy to want to sleep for an hour or two. I know that they also take siestas because of the heat and because they stay awake later in the evening when it is cooler, so there are several different contributing factors. It wouldn't surprise me if food is one, was more my point. I don't really see how their diet isn't Mediterranean though. They live an hour from the ocean, and every Spaniard I have talked to here absolutely believes that their diet is the real Mediterranean diet. Either way, I didn't mean to sound er..disingenuous about it. My apologies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123