Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Return to CW: A Horror Story page 2

krisjkr is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I always think that people in their youth have such rugged constitutions that they can eat anything and still feel good. You've opened my eyes.

fresa is offline Member
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions/comments/concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Thank you for posting that. I always think that people in their youth have such rugged constitutions that they can eat anything and still feel good. You've opened my eyes.
    Yes, this has definitely been a learning process for me. I originally started Primal for weight loss, I won't lie. But as soon as I started it I couldn't believe how good I felt. Plus, no acne? I hadn't been acne-free since I was 13! I did think that I could come here and go back to gluten and the like without much issue, but I now see that I was completely wrong. I think that in general, people my age do feel that way. But there are always outliers, and I have some friends back in the states who started to question their own eating habits when I started to not only look better but also be much more positive and vibrant. So progress, maybe, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jaczor View Post
    I assume it depends on the family, I do agree that what most people here call breakfast sucks, the healthiest you can get is bread with tomato and olive oil, other than that they rely on pastries. However, for lunch and dinner they do have tons of healthy and delicious paleo options, lots of meat, pork dishes, fish, eggs, jamon, if I'm eating out I almost never have any problems finding a dish that's completely paleo (and that I like). Even one of the most traditional spanish dishes, the tortilla, is paleo (if you eat potatoes, of course).
    I have had no problem when I go out, that is true. The fact that they cook everything with olive oil makes finding that sort of primal dish super easy. I LOVE the tortilla and arroz, I honestly would go home and add the little bit of rice to my diet simply the be able to eat that stuff. I would agree that a lot of my issues come from her individual cooking style. She breads almost all meat, and while some days I might be lucky and get a tortilla and lomo, other days it is something like migas. Dinner is never gluten free for her, I suppose because pasta and sandwiches are easy. But I totally agree, living here paleo if I was alone would absolutely be no problem. Also, out of curiosity, what do you do when you go out at night with people here? Do you just drink wine every time? I can't imagine going out with Spaniards and not drinking anything, but I don't know if I could do just wine 4 nights a week. And while I love my tinto de verano, it is definitely not primal

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You should arrange to have an endoscopic biopsy immediately when you get home after having eaten all that gluten. You may well have celiac.
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. My mother has celiac's, and has for a long time (back before grocery stores had "gluten-free" sections, haha). I have always assumed I would eventually contract full-on celiac's at some point, so this could definitely be the trigger.

I have tried to sort of mention that I don't like bread and macaroni that much, which has helped a bit as they now only offer me bread once at every meal and accept no as an answer, instead of offering it 4 times and then just putting it on my plate anyway. They are an older couple, late 70's and early 80's, so they hang on quite strongly to the notion that only the mother figure of the house is allowed in the kitchen to cook. It is sort of her "zone", and we are not allowed to touch anything in there or make our own food. It's a cultural thing for the family, and I think the older generation in general. I will try seeing if I can mention some easy, primal foods that I miss and that would be simple for her to make. Although they are quite convinced that meat is unhealthy, so the grandfather doesn't eat a lot of it because he is try to lose weight. I'll push for it though Or just ask for tortilla every day, haha.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Plenty of people do live this way and aren't dying of it. You've probably developed a gluten sensitivity due to your time cutting out wheat. I'd get that checked out.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    You've probably developed a gluten sensitivity due to your time cutting out wheat. I'd get that checked out.
    So, how to avoid this? Intentionally include wheat every so often? Even if it does cause bloating and discomfort?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I never said to continue eating like this, I meant that there are plenty of people in the world, and apparently in the OP's guest household that do fine or at least, not terribly on a crap CW diet. OP just has terrible luck to actually have a gluten sensitivity whereas most of us just avoid gluten for the sake of Primal. I don't think there's a way of going backwards once one develops an allergy, though....
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

jaczor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresa View Post
    Also, out of curiosity, what do you do when you go out at night with people here? Do you just drink wine every time? I can't imagine going out with Spaniards and not drinking anything, but I don't know if I could do just wine 4 nights a week. And while I love my tinto de verano, it is definitely not primal
    Well, that is tricky to say the least.

I really don't like clubs, so I rarely have to be in that situation, when I do go I usually drink gin tonics, it's got some sugar from the tonic, but it's not that bad (specially compared to other mixers like coke or redbull). If you like whisky you could have that on the rocks, it would be perfect, the only problem for me is that I'm probably the only venezuelan in the world that doesn't like whisky, lol.

Now, most of my social activity is in bars or going out for dinner, I rely heavily on wine, which I love and I think it's good for you even though it's not really paleo. I do have a few beers every now and then, I love beer, but I don't have even half as many as I did before going paleo. My attitude towards social drinking is that Ill have enough to enjoy myself and have a good time and I count on being almost 100% paleo for the rest of the time to lessen the damage.

I only go out once or twice a week at most, going out 4 times a week and drinking accordingly would be completely different, I don't see myself staying healthy and continuing my weightloss in those conditions, best case scenario, it would stop my progress but I wouldn't gain anything back.

However, sometimes you just have to forget about it and have a good time, a few weeks ago we threw a party for a friend that was going back to her home in Mexico, it was a special occasion, so I just drank whatever I wanted and had an awesome time (and an awesome hangover the next day too, hahaha).
    Last edited by jaczor; 04-26-2013 at 05:25 AM.

fresa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Plenty of people do live this way and aren't dying of it. You've probably developed a gluten sensitivity due to your time cutting out wheat. I'd get that checked out.
    Yes, a gluten sensitivity wouldn't surprise me. I wasn't trying to say that I am shocked that they are all alive, simply that I felt better on Primal and had forgotten how badly my body felt before. Going back to eating wheat and sugars just has reminded me of those small, chronic issues. All the aches and pains and skin annoyances that I dealt with, and just thought were a part of life, have come back. While not life threatening, each is a small source of misery that can add up, and that many people just accept. I do hope that people all over the world eventually learn about the primal/paleo lifestyle if only because feeling this way is so unpleasant. That was my only point

Quote Originally Posted by jaczor View Post
    Now, most of my social activity is in bars or going out for dinner, I rely heavily on wine, which I love and I think it's good for you even though it's not really paleo. I do have a few beers every now and then, I love beer, but I don't have even half as many as I did before going paleo. My attitude towards social drinking is that Ill have enough to enjoy myself and have a good time and I count on being almost 100% paleo for the rest of the time to lessen the damage.
    That is sort of what I figured my attitude will have to be when I come back and live on my own. Social drinking will have to be the thing that I let slide. Which honestly is OK with me, as I personally don't want this style of eating to inhibit my life in other ways. I'd like it to be wholly positive. But it is nice hearing what other primal/paleo people do, as I feel like social drinking is not nearly as much of a staple of life in the US as it is here.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I understand you aren't supposed to ask for separate meals. I suppose I would just take the coffee and skip the rest. Then purchase a snack later to get through to lunch. It might be easier to go to lunch on only coffee than to eat the bread. To bad about the pasta dinners though. Sounds like lunch is relatively good.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Khainag is offline Member
    Don't underestimate the sugar/gluten/calorie content of alcoholic drinks!!!
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Claiming that your families diet is Mediterranean and is the reason for siestas seems disingenuous to me. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast