Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are nuts and seeds okay? page 2

projectme is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I love these replies, what wisdom and humour. Thanks Groks.

projectme is offline Junior Member
    Love this post picklepete, love it.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I agree that drawing a bold line between grass/pulse seeds and tree/flower seeds is hard to justify. They both pose a serious portion hazard due to the lack of water (5-10%). The main difference is the macronutrient--carb vs. fat. Perhaps an acute excess dose of carb is more disruptive than an acute excess dose of fat?

The main criticism against grains is probably their ubiquity. Culturally and economically they have a way of dominating our calorie intake in a way that nuts can't due to expense.

I would never ban all nuts because they have interesting micronutrients and unique flavors, but I do cautiously measure them by the ounce (or half-ounce). I can't think of a reason to treat grains and legumes differently so I'd be fine eating 1-2 tablespoons of them as well BUT their role in the SAD is not 1-2 tablespoons.
    This seems like a moderate approach. In a similar vein, sugar could be viewed as a seasoning and used by the teaspoonful like spice, not by the cupful. Or use honey which is sweeter and generally used in smaller quantities (I hope).

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honestly, I'd prefer non-gluten grains to most nuts and seeds. Nuts are higher in phytic acid than most seeds and they come packed with lots of polyunsaturated fats. I'd consider rice, non-GMO corn and some of the pseudo-grains to be a cleaner source of calories.

I tend to avoid both, except for nixtamalized organic corn tortillas, which I consume about 2 dozen a month.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12