Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Added fiber to rid body of excess hormones? page 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I quickly read this link: Estrogen dominance syndrome

Points of note:

Diseases or problems that are thought to be related to or affected by excess estrogen and deficient progesterone in women are:

Weight gain secondary to insulin resistance.

If a high fat, low fiber diet aids in improved insulin sensitivity, and the byproduct is fat/weight loss, then wouldn't the actual amount of fiber be irrelevant?

Causes of estrogen dominance syndrome

Besides the natural hormonal fluctuations of menopause, certain lifestyle choices and conditions can also contribute to estrogen dominance syndrome, especially a low-fiber diet, overloading the liver with internal toxins, and absorbing toxins from the environment.

Low-fiber diet

A low-fiber diet causes estrogen levels to be higher, while a diet high in fiber results in decreased estrogen levels in the bloodstream. Why? Excess estrogen is excreted in the bowel. When stool remains in the bowel for a longer time, as in constipation, the estrogen is reabsorbed. Studies have shown that women on a high-fiber diet have lower levels of circulating estrogen. Lower levels of estrogen mean less estrogen stimulation of breast tissue, for example, which reduces the risk of breast cancer.

It doesn't mention whether they eat a healthy, real foods, natural low-fiber diet, or a CW low-fiber diet. I'd guess that as long as you're pooping adequately to remove excess estrogen, the amount of fiber you consume is irrelevant.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Paleobird Guest
    The only reason higher fiber diets are "associated with" lower levels of estrogen is because salads and broccoli tend to make you less fat than pizza and beer. It is the fat cells that are the problem. They create excess estrogen. The whole pooping process, as long as it is moving along well, is irrelevant.

Source : My oncologist telling me to lose weight after breast cancer to prevent a recurrence.

richard is offline Senior Member
    lowering estrogen levels:

1. Take supplemental iodine. Very important

2. avoid xeno-estrogens found in laundry detergent, dish detergent, cosmetics, shampoo.

3. avoid phyto estrogens found in unfermented soy products such as tofu

4. if need be, supplement with topical progesterone (Progesterelle is a brand that has only human-molecule progesterone in oil, nothing else.)

5. avoid eating food from plastic, heating food in plastic, saving food with plastic wrap, drinking out of plastic...

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. This makes sense. My pooping is adequate and transit time is not a problem. Thanks for the input. Having been Primal for three years my insulin is in check. I am getting closer and closer to healing. I was just treated for H Pylori so I'm in the rebuilding my gut flora mode. I am feeling better than I have in a long, long time. The next thing to address is my high cortisol. I'm thinking, as I look back at my health history, a gluten sensitivity from early on may have been the beginning of digestion issues-gut dysbiosis-leaky gut-hormone imbalance-endometriosis-PCOS-hyperplasia...... I am just trying to read up on what I can do to help balance the hormones. Hopefully through healing my gut, the hormones will begin to communicate better.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    1. Take supplemental iodine. Very important
    2. avoid xeno-estrogens found in laundry detergent, dish detergent, cosmetics, shampoo.
    3. avoid phyto estrogens found in unfermented soy products such as tofu
    4. if need be, supplement with topical progesterone (Progesterelle is a brand that has only human-molecule progesterone in oil, nothing else.)
    5. avoid eating food from plastic, heating food in plastic, saving food with plastic wrap, drinking out of plastic...
    I agree with 2, 3, and 5 wholeheartedly. Iodine can be helpful but I would suggest natural sources of it such as sea veggies and shellfish as the concentrated supplements can easily go overboard in the other direction to being toxic. I would argue against any topical hormones unless directed to by a VERY trusted doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    Thank you. This makes sense. My pooping is adequate and transit time is not a problem. Thanks for the input. Having been Primal for three years my insulin is in check. I am getting closer and closer to healing. I was just treated for H Pylori so I'm in the rebuilding my gut flora mode. I am feeling better than I have in a long, long time. The next thing to address is my high cortisol. I'm thinking, as I look back at my health history, a gluten sensitivity from early on may have been the beginning of digestion issues-gut dysbiosis-leaky gut-hormone imbalance-endometriosis-PCOS-hyperplasia...... I am just trying to read up on what I can do to help balance the hormones. Hopefully through healing my gut, the hormones will begin to communicate better.
    Yes, balancing the hormones naturally is the way to go. The GAPS protocol can help as can the Gutsense website in getting the guts sorted out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12