Thread: Betty Groker's Kitchen page

Betty_Groker is offline Junior Member

Betty Groker's Kitchen

Shop Now
    Hello MDA Forum. My name is Betty and I am a struggling Grokette. I've been Primal a little less than a year with the much appreciated support and help of my boyfriend (by help I mean he carries the groceries and eats the food I cook without much complaint, lol.). When we’re really on point with Primal, it's simple, amazingly simple, intuitive, and easy to follow but then we slip up a little and grain/sugar cravings, headaches, blood sugar roller-coasters, etc all come crashing back down and it seems impossible to climb back up the primal mountain. The biggest issue to date is food for work, snacks, and easy grab-and-go stuff. Meat/Veggies on a plate seems so easy and usually it's simple, but when there aren't any leftovers and I'm running late for work and don't have time to spend 10 minutes cooking omelets for breakfast, it gets more complicated than I'd like. Hopefully, we can figure it out as we go along. Until we get it all figured out, I'll just be taking it one step at a time, one decision at a time, until I've made it to the top of the mountain, in my five-fingers of course!

As of last night I've got a nice cave-woman stocked kitchen again, I've missed it. This evening we'll be dining on rack of lamb with green beans and if we crave some sweets, we’ll have fruit for desert. We went to Whole Foods last night, where my boyfriend got a 40% discount for Team Member Appreciation day. I've restocked my pantry and fridge with Real Food instead of food-like products. We got a ton of meat (around $200 before discount yikes!), loads of veggies, a few in-season fruits, eggs, nuts, trail mix, trail-mix bars, jerky, ghee, marrow bones, and some cheese. They didn't have any organ meat, which was sad, so I'll have to wait until another day to pick it up. I also got so many spices I'd been dying to have in my cabinet as well as a meat thermometer and some other random kitchen/vitamin/cleaning items we've wanted for a while. The total before discount was a little under $500, after discount, sales, and coupons, we spent $234! That’s some mammoth savings! I feel better knowing that we've at least found our way back through the forest to the path. We're not even close to the mountain top yet, but we're headed in the right direction.
    One step, one decision, and one change at a time leads to a total transformation.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Hi hi and welcome!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Hi hi and welcome!
    Thanks!!
    One step, one decision, and one change at a time leads to a total transformation.

Daily Check in! I'm thinking this may be the best way for me to keep tabs on the many factors in the cave woman life. I saw someone else doing it in their Journal and stole it (sorry for the theft other MDA'er, I'd give you credit but I can't remember where it was!)

1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.
    well... not so far, pizza for breakfast (ick, I know, but it was fast) haven't had lunch and it's 2pm. I won't get out of work till 5pm and then I'm going home to dig up some animal/plant type foods from my newly primaltized (again) kitchen. I'm not sure I want to make the rack of lamb tonight though since my boyfriend is working late and I want to enjoy it with him. I may just do a Big Ass Salad and call it a night.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    eh, 50/50, I do a lot of walking with my dog in the afternoons, but so far today I've been stuck at my desk at work, not much movement.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Not so far...

4. Run really fast every once in a while.
    Today is not the day

5. Get lots of sleep.
    Did not sleep well last night, going to bed early this evening.

6. Play.
    Nope. all work today so far, maybe I'll play with my puppy tonight!

7. Get some sunlight every day.
    Nope, stuck in the office all day! Boo!

8. Avoid trauma.
    Doing well so far..

9. Avoid poisonous things.
    See point 1, pizza for breakfast is NOT primal. Other than that though, pretty good, water only for drinking, ate my apple from home rather than a brownie, brought some home-made trailmix up for salty snack cravings.

10. Use your mind.
    Oh yeah, this one I've got in spades. Work, school, and researching primal again, definitely working the mind.
    Last edited by Betty_Groker; 04-25-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Weekend Check in! We are moving in a little less than two weeks so our entire weekend was consumed by packing. We did fairly well on the primal front Friday night and Saturday, but it all fell apart on Sunday with fried chicken, oh well, back on the path, moving forward. I've got spinach/egg/cheese for breakfast, chicken (yep, leftover fried) & veggies for lunch, and I'll cook something very primal for dinner, I'm thinking stir-fry chicken with veggies.

It was about 50/50 for the weekend and about 50/50 for today too.

LOTS of moving over the weekend, not so much today, it will be mostly sitting at my desk at work, and then sitting somewhere to work on my final papers & revisions for one of my classes tonight.

3. Lift heavy things.
    All weekend long. As long as you stay away from fried chicken, packing=primal

Did a sprint this weekend; went walking with the dog and decided to sprint along the back fence of the complex (where nobody could see us, lol)

5. Get lots of sleep.
    I was doing great until last night. Every hour on the hour I woke up, it was annoying and bizarre.

6. Play.
    Yes, when my boyfriend and I are together, we're very playful and can usually turn anything into games.

Yes, again walking my dog, there was a minor storm on Saturday but Sunday was lovely.

8. Avoid trauma.
    Well... I skinned my knee, but nothing else.

Mostly, I seem to be battling wheat/processed-sugar addiction. I'm trying to replace it with healthy starch and fruit for now, then when I've really eliminated wheat/processed-sugar, I’ll start limiting the “healthy” non-poisonous starches and fruits. It worked for me the first time I started Primal, right through Thanksgiving and Christmas. It wasn’t until a very stressful and emotional trigger that I completely got lost in the woods. I’ve healed and we’re getting back on track.

10. Use your mind.
    Packing is like Tetris! Lol. Both what goes in the boxes and how to stack them so you can still use the apartment when the are packed. I cant’ wait to be done with the move!!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Love the name of your journal! I wish I'd chosen something clever. I have found my journal is very helpful for keeping myself on track and I hope you do too.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Thanks Siobhan!! The name seemed like a natural progression from my full scale baking/cooking days in CW. I hope to share some of the primal creations I come up with. I loved to bake when I was CW, that's one of the hardest switches, well, that and pasta (shirataki noodles & zucchini noodles have helped, but it will never be the same).

I can't wait to read your journal! That was a huge draw for me on MDA, I loved the interaction and I've lurked for the entire year of my Primal life, I've finally found the courage to share my story too.

Hello again, I missed a few days. I’m right in the middle of finals for this semester (everything is Due Mon, May 6th) then the move is 4 days later (Fri, May 10th) I’m not sure what I was thinking scheduling them so close together. Bah. Everything seems to be lining up though, so hopefully my boyfriend, our dog, and I can survive it. I’m happy to be at the end of Junior year, beginning of Senior year. Bachelor’s degree here I come!! My boyfriend and I are working on a plan where I can work halftime with fulltime classes instead of working fulltime with a little over halftime classes as I am now. I think that will downgrade my stress quite abit and allow for more focus on a Primal lifestyle. It will also let me graduate in 2014 instead of 2015!

It is still about 50/50 for me.

More walking the dog and endless walking while packing boxes.

3. Lift heavy things.
    packing is still primal! We bought our new bed from Ikea, which means it comes in 5 heavy boxes for later assembly. My boyfriend and I hauled them to the truck and then up the stairs. We’re just going to leave them in the boxes for the move and assemble when we get to the new place

Not since the weekend.

5. Get lots of sleep.
    This is becoming harder, as stress piles on from the deadline getting closer, I’m having a hard time turning the brain off for sleep.

6. Play.
    Not for the last few days, deadline approaches, less playtime available.

Every day!

8. Avoid trauma.
    Skinned knee healing, everything else pretty good.

Still in the wheat/processed-sugar addiction battle. I feel like it will get a lot better once finals and the move is over, stress tends to send me comfort/stress eating, trying to break the habit/addiction but it’s definitely not something that will fix itself overnight. Taking this one decision at a time.

10. Use your mind.
    I’m still playing packing-tetris, as well as my finals; final paper (9,000 words total, 6k to be revised, 3k to be written) and the final exams in my other courses.
    Last edited by Betty_Groker; 05-02-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Man this last week has been busy and crazy. I'm so glad it's finally settling down. First, I GOT ENGAGED!! My boyfriend asked me on our last night in our first apartment. It was perfect. Second, we moved from one city back to our city 3 hours away, ARGH. It was packing, hauling, moving, cleaning, loading, cleaning, unloading, moving, hauling, unpacking, and generally a huge mess, but we've come out okay on the otherside. We basically went back to a completely (easy but horrible) CW diet of fast food and sandwhiches for the move after we packed up the kitchen and before we unpacked it. I've got it now though and we'll be grochery shopping tonight!! I'm ready to get meat and veggies back into my house. luckily we were able to keep 90% of the pantry and fridge items, threw out the non-primal stuff and kept the ghee and other primal goodies. Maybe I'll cook up some marrow bones for dinner!