Thread: I have a bad cold...easy food ideas please page

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member

I have a bad cold...easy food ideas please

Primal Fuel
    I feel awful and would love to just chill in bed, but I have a 20mos old to chase after. Any easy food ideas that take little effort? I'm toast.

Paleobird Guest
    Eggs. To go with your "toast".

sqidmark is offline Member
    "Thai Penicillin". Start with bone broth. It's good for what ails ya.

Cathartes is offline Member
    Egg drop soup. It's just chicken broth and beaten eggs, plus salt, pepper, hot sauce, etc if you like. It's a good solution because hot soup will make you feel better, the ingredients are primal, and it's easy and quick to make.

Z0oom is offline Member
    Yes, skip the toast and go with a nice eggdrop soup

ombat is online now Senior Member
    If you feel so poorly then it probably depends on what actually sounds edible to you as well. Applesauce is one of my go-to foods for when I'm sick. If that sounds good to you, all you have to do is peel some apples (Granny Smiths work best IMO), chop them up, and throw them in a bit of boiling water until they turn into mush. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you want and enjoy.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Salty potatoes with cheese and oregano! Wash a couple of medium white potatoes and sprinkle them with lots of salt when wet. Cover them with a piece of paper towel and put them in the microwave for 8 - 10 minutes, depending on size. When ready brush off some of the surplus salt and cut them up and put them on a plate. Rasp over some cheese and plenty of oregano and eat...

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member
    Thanks. I ended up doing pretty okay, but not fully primal. I had leftover steak and a smoothie (raw milk, protein powder, etc) for breakfast, quinoa with lots of butter for lunch, and gluten free pancakes for dinner. Not at all a great primal day, but a very good sick day for me. What I mean by that is in the past I have always used a sick day or just a rotten day in general to reward myself with crappy food. I came this close to ordered a gluten free pizza just because I was too tired to make anything and I didn't do it. So even though it was not a primal day, it was not a day of complete junk. I didn't have veggies which I've been really good about. It's the first time I've had quinoa since starting primal. I know it's one of the better pseudo-grains so it wasn't even a horrible choice...it's just that it wasn't paired with protein and enough fat. I didn't eat hardly any pancakes either. I only made them because I had to feed the kidlet and that's what he wanted and they were easy. By that point, I had lost my sense of taste so it was easy not to overindulge. I can't taste this morning either so I'll just eat whatever is primal and not worry if I'm in the mood for it. I can't taste it!

Thanks. The potato sounds particularly good. The eggs? Not so much. For some reason, I hate eggs when I'm sick. I own my own chickens too so I have access to fresh eggs everyday. When I was pregnant, I had an aversion to them the whole time. That was lovely having tons of eggs and being repulsed by them. LOL

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Soup. A super easy one that I like is beef vegetable but made with hamburger. Fry up the burger, add water, add frozen vegetables, add seasonings (cayenne and garlic will help a cold) and simmer for a few minutes. It is ready when the vegetables are hot. I can usually whip this out in less than half an hour and I make enough that I have leftovers for the next few days. Hot soup always hits the spot for me when I'm sick.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Oranges. Hot caffeine-free tea/water with lemon. No dairy.