Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheat Protein Isolate page

JayDPiii is offline Junior Member

Wheat Protein Isolate

I am wondering about Wheat protein isolate - is it at least a little Primal as a limited, viable, alternative?
    Wheat Protein Isolate probably contains some Gluten, but is low in Carbs, 3 grams for 20 grams of Protein. And a suitable substitute for our daughter who developed Lactose Intolerance (probably from a virus) while living and working in South Africa for a year. Now, a college student and on a (ugh) college meal plan (no choice), as she is Lactose Intolerant, we worry about her getting enough Protein. Since Wheat Protein Isolate can be a suitable alternative to the more popular Whey/Cassein protein supplements, because unlike whey, wheat protein isolate is not made from dairy products. Thus, wheat protein isolate does not contain lactose, a dairy sugar. In her case, I would think that wheat protein isolate would be a beneficial alternative.
    Though it probably has some Gluten, I would think very little, and in her case, not having a problem with gluten - the benefits of using it to help her get additional protein - outweigh the anti-nutrients in the scant 3 grams Carbs from wheat. But, that is only a guess ... ?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    What about egg protein?

Why do you think that wheat protein isolate would have very little gluten? Gluten is a protein found in wheat. I don't follow the logic.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    What about a pea protein? Hammer Nutrition makes one that doesn't sound too bad.

Vegan Protein | Hammer Nutrition

Hammer Vegan Protein - Chocolate
    Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 level scoop (31.6)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 110 Calories from Fat 9
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1g 2% *
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 140mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 5g 2% *
    Sugars 2,g †
    Protein 20g 40% *
    *The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values maybe higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    † Daily Value not established.
    Ingredients:Protein Blend (Pea Protein, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Spirulina, Chlorella, Alfalfa),Enzyme Blend (Papain, Amylase, Protease, Bromelain, Lipase, Lactase, Maltase, Cellulase), Natural Chocolate Flavor, Vanilla Flavor, Organic Cacao, Organic Stevia Extract.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    She doesn't eat meat? tell her to eat a couple of potatoes every other day and she'll be fine. Trust me, people survive on a shit-ton less. She'll be fine.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What about egg protein?
    Why do you think that wheat protein isolate would have very little gluten? Gluten is a protein found in wheat. I don't follow the logic.
    I have no clue, that's why I asked? I thought maybe because the carbs are low at 3 grams ... ?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    there's this blog post Whey, Casein, Egg White, Pea, Rice and Hemp Protein Powder Analysis | Mark's Daily Apple

I'm not certain but I think wheat protein isolate is basically the same thing as "vital wheat gluten" or at least used interchangeably with it in baking, so probably pretty high in gluten

but like iniQuity said, probably don't worry about it, especially if she will eat eggs or fish (I'm assuming as he did that she is vegetarian?)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Wheat protein isolate is vital gluten with more of the starch removed. Don't kid yourself that it contains "some gluten", Even the manufacturer's site is open about it being almost all gluten.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, gluten's a protein, not a polysaccharide. I wouldn't eat this straight gluten junk for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    there's this blog post Whey, Casein, Egg White, Pea, Rice and Hemp Protein Powder Analysis | Mark's Daily Apple

I'm not certain but I think wheat protein isolate is basically the same thing as "vital wheat gluten" or at least used interchangeably with it in baking, so probably pretty high in gluten

but like iniQuity said, probably don't worry about it, especially if she will eat eggs or fish (I'm assuming as he did that she is vegetarian?)
    No, not a vegetarian - just limited breakfast choices at dining hall and items she can keep in her dormatory room.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Wheat protein isolate is vital gluten with more of the starch removed. Don't kid yourself that it contains "some gluten", Even the manufacturer's site is open about it being almost all gluten.
    Thanks, that helps ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast