Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 6 meals a day really that bad? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Is 6 meals a day really that bad?

Shop Now
    I have an anxiety problem that diet isn't fixing. I read something the other day about how if you overeat that it can cause hyperventilation. I think that may be part of the problem. Would it be so bad to eat 6 small meals a day if I can get this under control? I'm thinking my anxiety could be much worse for my body long term. I just seem to can't breathe when I eat and afterwards. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't have that problem. There are several medical reasons you might consider more frequent meal times in the beginning. If your anxiety is relieved somehow by eating more often then go for it. Is it "bad"....meh, not as long as the foods are primal IMO. I'm somewhat confused how eating more often is going to control a set of symptoms you have only when and after you eat though? Do you mean you eat so much when you only eat a couple meals that you have trouble breathing?

Toshison is offline Member
    Whats important is what you eat and how much you eat.

Whether to eat it in 6 small meals or 3 meals, is your personal choice. Do what works well with your lifestyle. Some people don't like to eat so frequently because it can be time consuming or difficult to follow because of jobs etc...

I went from 6 smaller meals a day down to 3 big meals and then with my experiments with IFing down to 2 bigger meals but I was not impressed with the results and have gone back to 5 meals a day and I find its best for me. Do whats best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Do you mean you eat so much when you only eat a couple meals that you have trouble breathing?
    Yeah, my research so far shows that overeating puts a huge burden on all organs not just the digestive system. Plus I found an article on normalbreathing.com that talks about how people who overeat cause hyperventilation. I don't know how much truth is in that, but it's just a thought cause I've tried everything else. I've supplemented with B vitamins, try to make sure I get proper rest, etc.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I have an anxiety problem that diet isn't fixing.
    I hope you have some additional support (therapy? meds?) as well to trying to eat the best diet for you?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Read The Mood Cure. One of the things I learned by reading (and btw my anxiety decreased tremendously after reading and applying the concepts) is that skipping breakfast like I was used to is not the best thing for people with anxiety issues. The book is very paleo friendly when it comes to diet as it emphasizes proper fats (for brain health) and protein first and foremost. I eat three strict meals for the most part now, however sometimes I skip breakfast without meaning to (like today).

I will say that a major help was taking 5-HTP as prescribed by the book for MY particular situation - the book is very helpful at helping you asses YOUR type of anxiety which may have been very different from mine. I am "off" 5-HTP but still take one or two a week if I feel stuff creep up again.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I hope you have some additional support (therapy? meds?) as well to trying to eat the best diet for you?
    No I don't believe meds are right for me. I do take b complex supplements and vitamin C though. I am working on my deep breathing as well. I'm a chest breather big time.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Read The Mood Cure. One of the things I learned by reading (and btw my anxiety decreased tremendously after reading and applying the concepts) is that skipping breakfast like I was used to is not the best thing for people with anxiety issues. The book is very paleo friendly when it comes to diet as it emphasizes proper fats (for brain health) and protein first and foremost. I eat three strict meals for the most part now, however sometimes I skip breakfast without meaning to (like today).

I will say that a major help was taking 5-HTP as prescribed by the book for MY particular situation - the book is very helpful at helping you asses YOUR type of anxiety which may have been very different from mine. I am "off" 5-HTP but still take one or two a week if I feel stuff creep up again.

Thank you....I think I have read parts of it before....is this the book where she recommends eating a bunch of potatoes? I will look into it again.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Nah I don't recall that being a recommendation - though she does say carbs help. See if your library has it, all you need is about an hour or two with it, take notes and put it back. I bought my copy because I couldn't find one nearby. Huge help.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Fair enough - I'm not saying you should be on meds (or in therapy!), I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with using more than diet to improve things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast