Thread: Best slow cooker and skillet for eggs? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Best slow cooker and skillet for eggs?

Primal Fuel
    I'm in need of two new tools...a slow cooker and an egg skillet. Any suggestions? I had bought a Calphalon slow cooker from BBB, but it's going back....roasts are done on low in 4 hours! It cooks way too fast.
    Thanks!

Paleobird Guest
    Crockpots are the classics and they know their stuff. I have their biggest sized one that also has an automatic feature of switching to a "keep warm" setting after cooking. Makes a great bone broth cooker too.

As for skillets, I know everybody around here loves their cast iron but I can't be bothered. They are heavy and a pain to clean. I don't know what brand mine are but I have a whole set of non-stick pans. I really think the fears about non-stick coatings are some combination of overblown, based on out of date technology like the original teflon pans, or based on worn out, beat up pans. If you get some good quality ones and treat them well, I think they are a good technological advance since Grokelle's day.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I have a CrockPot brand slow cooker and it does a great job but the build quality is questionable. All of the hardware is plastic. Everything that was attached to the lid (handle, hinges, vent) have all disintegrated over time. I haven't gotten around to making wooden replacements yet, but I probably will since I am cheap and it still cooks things fairly well.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    I have a CrockPot brand slow cooker and it does a great job but the build quality is questionable. All of the hardware is plastic. Everything that was attached to the lid (handle, hinges, vent) have all disintegrated over time. I haven't gotten around to making wooden replacements yet, but I probably will since I am cheap and it still cooks things fairly well.
    Yeah, some of their early models did have kinda junky knobs but they make a whole line of them now that are really nice quality. This is the one I have : Crock-Pot Countdown Designer Series Slow Cooker - Crock-Pot The Original Slow Cooker

So the new ones are better than the ones from like 2008 or 2009 say? I have a Rival Crock Pot from about that time and it boiled everything I put on low. Everything was dried out. I'm wary to trust them now. :/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't know from slow cookers because I'm too impatient to own one - I do my broths in a pressure cooker.

For non-stick pans, I like this set which has gone up in price since it was gifted to me. If you live near a Costco, you might want to see if they carry it at a better price. Amazon.com: Tramontina 3pk Long Life Saute Pan Value Set: Home & Kitchen

I like this set as a starter set for cast iron, but it's a 10" pan, so it might be small if there are more than one or two in your family. Amazon.com: Lodge Logic LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker, 10.25-inch: Home & Kitchen

For slow cooking, I use this. But it's slow cooking as in a few hours for a tough cut of meat like shank, not for 8-12 hour cooking like broth. Amazon.com: Romertopf Reco No. 110 Classic 2-5-Pound Clay Baker: Home & Kitchen
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't know from slow cookers because I'm too impatient to own one - I do my broths in a pressure cooker.

For non-stick pans, I like this set which has gone up in price since it was gifted to me. If you live near a Costco, you might want to see if they carry it at a better price. Amazon.com: Tramontina 3pk Long Life Saute Pan Value Set: Home & Kitchen

I like this set as a starter set for cast iron, but it's a 10" pan, so it might be small if there are more than one or two in your family. Amazon.com: Lodge Logic LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker, 10.25-inch: Home & Kitchen

For slow cooking, I use this. But it's slow cooking as in a few hours for a tough cut of meat like shank, not for 8-12 hour cooking like broth. Amazon.com: Romertopf Reco No. 110 Classic 2-5-Pound Clay Baker: Home & Kitchen
    Oh wow...how do you use that clay pot? That's awesome looking. Never heard of it.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, some of their early models did have kinda junky knobs but they make a whole line of them now that are really nice quality. This is the one I have : Crock-Pot Countdown Designer Series Slow Cooker - Crock-Pot The Original Slow Cooker
    Well, hello Ms. Fancypants. I'm kidding, that looks to be a lot nicer than mine. I'm still going to bastardize mine with wooden replacement hardware though since the heating element still works. Maybe I'll go steam punk with it...

The Zen of Slow Cooking is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I can recommend two reliable and well tested slow cookers in two different price brackets BOTH are stovetop friendly for browning:

Hamilton Beach 6 quart programmable stovetop slow cooker < $100
    All-Clad 6 quart programmable stovetop slow cooker > $100

You can check out this matrix from The Zen of Slow Cooking website Our criteria for choosing a slow cooker | the zen of slow cooking