Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fish oil supplements (omega 3) page

fish oil supplements (omega 3)

Shop Now
    Hello there,

I do not really like fish, so I eat it maybe once a week. For this reason, I would like to start taking omega 3 fish oil supplements, but I do not know where to start. What is the quantity I should be looking for in terms of EPA/DHA? I can't spend more than like CDN$30 per month for this at MAX. I saw Costco sells them through kirkland brand but a lot of review say the ratio epa/dha is low and I would need to take like 8 pills a day....not quite sure understand how this ratio works of epa/dha!

One of my concern is when I was maybe 15, I started taking them to higher my concentration level and all I had were fish burps and I wanted to puke...and i stopped taking them 2 weeks after starting. Is there a way to avoid this at all?

I am currently in the process of weight loss if it changes anything and I need to lower my triglycerides also.

Thank you for your input everybody. This is a great community!

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Personally I'm skeptical of them. EPA/DHA are the most fragile fatty acids of all, and the notion that they can sit on a room temperature shelf for months intact is a little dubious. My advice would be to experiment with canned seafood until you find a preparation you like, e.g. albacore and salmon can be blended with cream cheese, scallions, and spices and used as a cucumber dip or omelet filling. Anchovies and sardines can be blended into soups.

I'm not convinced that o-3 megadose is ideal anyway--we might get more benefit from o-6 reduction.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcanadian View Post
    Hello there,

I do not really like fish, so I eat it maybe once a week. For this reason, I would like to start taking omega 3 fish oil supplements, but I do not know where to start. What is the quantity I should be looking for in terms of EPA/DHA? I can't spend more than like CDN$30 per month for this at MAX. I saw Costco sells them through kirkland brand but a lot of review say the ratio epa/dha is low and I would need to take like 8 pills a day....not quite sure understand how this ratio works of epa/dha!

One of my concern is when I was maybe 15, I started taking them to higher my concentration level and all I had were fish burps and I wanted to puke...and i stopped taking them 2 weeks after starting. Is there a way to avoid this at all?

I am currently in the process of weight loss if it changes anything and I need to lower my triglycerides also.

Thank you for your input everybody. This is a great community!
    I'd recommend springing for Krill Oil first. I recommend this one >> Amazon.com: Nutrigold Krill Gold - Neptune Krill Oil (Clinically-proven NKO), 500 mg, 120 softgels: Health & Personal Care

Vega is offline Member
    The fish oil sold in softgels can be a little sketchy. You don't know if it's gone rancid or not.

I'd go for something higher quality if you can afford it that's not in in softgels. I get Coromega, and also hear people swear by Carlson's, but it seems kind of pricey.

krisjkr is offline Junior Member
    My advice would be to experiment with canned seafood until you find a preparation you like

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Personally I'm skeptical of them. EPA/DHA are the most fragile fatty acids of all, and the notion that they can sit on a room temperature shelf for months intact is a little dubious. My advice would be to experiment with canned seafood until you find a preparation you like, e.g. albacore and salmon can be blended with cream cheese, scallions, and spices and used as a cucumber dip or omelet filling. Anchovies and sardines can be blended into soups.

I'm not convinced that o-3 megadose is ideal anyway--we might get more benefit from o-6 reduction.
    This. It continues to amaze me that people are willing to spend $30/mo for something that is not food and is highly processed when they could suck it up and find a way to get past their preconceived ideas and enjoy seafood. Have you tried smoked oysters in a salad? Making your own caesar dressing with anchovies? Get creative. $30 a month could buy you a lot of good real food with other nutrients in it too, (like protein and stuff), so you really would be saving more than just the $30.

Zach is offline Banned
    Fish oil is such a scam product. You can get omega 3s from grassfed meat, dairy and eggs. Eat some sort of seafood once a week and you will be fine. The amount of omegas you need to survive can be had eating nothing but plant foods so you certainly dont need fish juice to get them. The far superior option would be limiting any source of pufa in your diet not from pastured animal products.

I still laugh (and cry) about the days when everyone was superdosing fish oil from 10-40g a day.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Fish oil is bad for you:
    The Great Fish Oil Experiment

Also, the recent research shows it's ineffective.

Paleobird Guest
    Good Grok! I'm agreeing with both Zach and Fierce in one thread!

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

jasperb is online now Member
    So should I look to balance out omega 3/6 ratios while trying to keep total PUFA intake low because they're both bad?

I'm a confused noob.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast