Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: fish oil supplements (omega 3) page 3

  1. #21
    lone.star's Avatar
    lone.star is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    coppell
    Posts
    16
    Shop Now
    I'm finding this thoroughly confusing. Half of the posters are bagging on fish oil pills, citing that they are unstable, even detrimental to achieving good health. On the other hand, our fearless leader offers them as a supplement, stating that he takes them every day!

    I would love to eat fresh seafood 4 times a week but I have a family of 3 to feed too! We get wild caught salmon once a week if were lucky, so I'm in the camp that supplementing is a great idea, if from a reputable source.

    I just want to know, are fish oils too delicate to survive in pill form? Do they the oxidize and become harmful? HELP!

  2. #22
    picklepete's Avatar
    picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by lone.star View Post
    I just want to know, are fish oils too delicate to survive in pill form? Do they the oxidize and become harmful? HELP!
    It's one of those things where we need to make our own educated guess. I don't doubt that an effective supplement exists or could exist but I feel that consuming an isolated/refined nutrient is basically the same thing as adding B vitamins to Froot Loops--not very primal. A lot of posters here use affordable canned seafood to cover their o-3 bases.
    34//6'3"/180

    Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

  3. #23
    bob loblaw's Avatar
    bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by lone.star View Post
    I'm finding this thoroughly confusing. Half of the posters are bagging on fish oil pills, citing that they are unstable, even detrimental to achieving good health. On the other hand, our fearless leader offers them as a supplement, stating that he takes them every day!

    I would love to eat fresh seafood 4 times a week but I have a family of 3 to feed too! We get wild caught salmon once a week if were lucky, so I'm in the camp that supplementing is a great idea, if from a reputable source.

    I just want to know, are fish oils too delicate to survive in pill form? Do they the oxidize and become harmful? HELP!
    I'd stay away from them in pill form. At best, there is very little proof that it extends life or lowers cardiac mortality.

    By far the best way to balance out your Omegas is to lower your Omega-6 intake. Just eliminating seed oils will probably do the job for most people.

  4. #24
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    The reason that the idea that Omega 3 can be as damaging as Omega 6 sounds a bit off is because WHO IN THE HELL EATS TOO MUCH OMEGA 3?

    Unless it's through supplementation, it's very difficult to get lots of Omega 3. Sure, if you are very atypical and eat salmon 10x a week, it's possible, but for most they get almost no Omega 3 in their normal SAD. On the other hand, Omega 6s are everywhere in the SAD, so we talk about it much more.
    This. Exactly. You need a small amount of each O3 and O6. So they are not inherently evil. I think the Peatarian anti-PUFA campaign is a bit extreme. C'mon. Eating a piece of salmon is not unhealthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by lone.star View Post
    I'm finding this thoroughly confusing. Half of the posters are bagging on fish oil pills, citing that they are unstable, even detrimental to achieving good health. On the other hand, our fearless leader offers them as a supplement, stating that he takes them every day!

    I would love to eat fresh seafood 4 times a week but I have a family of 3 to feed too! We get wild caught salmon once a week if were lucky, so I'm in the camp that supplementing is a great idea, if from a reputable source.

    I just want to know, are fish oils too delicate to survive in pill form? Do they the oxidize and become harmful? HELP!
    Choco and I butt heads quite regularly around here but this is one issue we are on the same side of. The pill form of O3 does more harm than good. Work on bringing down your O6 and it's not even needed.

    There is budget friendly seafood available no matter where you live. The best O3 supplement, IMO, is a can of sardines.

    And yes, Mark sells them. That doesn't mean everybody needs them. He even said in so many words at the AHS meeting that someone eating a healthy diet does not need supplements.

  5. #25
    little vase's Avatar
    little vase is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by lone.star View Post
    I'm finding this thoroughly confusing. Half of the posters are bagging on fish oil pills, citing that they are unstable, even detrimental to achieving good health. On the other hand, our fearless leader offers them as a supplement, stating that he takes them every day!
    Don't blindly follow anyone else's methodology. Do your own research. Take what you need from Primal and make it your own. Mark Sisson is not infallible and doesn't have all of the answers.

    I agree with everything Zach and ChocoTaco said here. I usually do.

  6. #26
    jasperb's Avatar
    jasperb is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    49
    Should I limit my olive oil consumption for the sake of reducing o6?

    I like to drown things in extra virgin.

  7. #27
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperb View Post
    Should I limit my olive oil consumption for the sake of reducing o6?

    I like to drown things in extra virgin.
    Olive oil is not horrible if you are using it cold on a salad but it is not really good to cook with as it has a rather low oxidation point.

  8. #28
    spk's Avatar
    spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington - US
    Posts
    401
    Sorry - realize you've all done your round-robin on this one but for my 2 cents:

    1. Please. Don't. Use. Krill. Want other seafood? Want healthy oceans? Keep off it.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46234.html

    2. We all seem to accept what Mark says regarding people who don't benefit from high fat consumption due to hereditary predisposition for heart disease. So why can't we also accept that the same is true on the other end of the spectrum...some of us benefit greatly by supplementation. Either during a temporary phase of balancing out or for a lifetime.

    Folks w/ MS have seen some great benefits when taking high doses of O3 (at least until they grasp how to reduce their O6 naturally). Lets not scare people off of making an effort even it's GASP pill-popping to most of us. When they get sick of that routine, then at least they've learned what it will & won't do for their numbers come bloodwork.

    3. $30 for decent seafood? Not in my neck of the woods and I'm on the coast. It should be cheaper but it AINT. Maybe for that soybean oil infused canned food.

  9. #29
    Rojo's Avatar
    Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    752
    I live in the Little Russia section of San Francisco and we have a ton of Russian deli/groceries/bodegas. Anyhow they carry canned cod livers. Not oil, actual livers. A good alternative?

  10. #30
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    So why can't we also accept that the same is true on the other end of the spectrum...some of us benefit greatly by supplementation. Either during a temporary phase of balancing out or for a lifetime.

    Folks w/ MS have seen some great benefits when taking high doses of O3 (at least until they grasp how to reduce their O6 naturally). Lets not scare people off of making an effort even it's GASP pill-popping to most of us. When they get sick of that routine, then at least they've learned what it will & won't do for their numbers come bloodwork.

    3. $30 for decent seafood? Not in my neck of the woods and I'm on the coast. It should be cheaper but it AINT. Maybe for that soybean oil infused canned food.
    I have no problem with supplementation to correct a temporary imbalance or for a real medical issue. What I object to is people being sold the blanket assumption that everybody is deficient in everything all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I live in the Little Russia section of San Francisco and we have a ton of Russian deli/groceries/bodegas. Anyhow they carry canned cod livers. Not oil, actual livers. A good alternative?
    Yes, I get these from a little middle eastern bodega. They also carry sardines from Morocco (in olive oil) with the most delicious spicy spices.

    The point it, no matter where you live, you can eat seafood and there are lots of brands with no BPA if that is a big deal for you and lots that don't have bad ingredients. It's up to us to not get lazy and just pop some pills instead of going to the trouble of reading some labels.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •