Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fish oil supplements (omega 3) page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperb View Post
    So should I look to balance out omega 3/6 ratios while trying to keep total PUFA intake low because they're both bad?

I'm a confused noob.
    You only need a little of each. Some people strive to achieve the proper balance by supplementing the O3 side especially if they eat supermarket meat and seed oils. This is like saying lots of Hail Marys to balance out your sins.

It is better to work on bringing down you O6 level (Grass fed meats, no seed oil, no grains) and get some healthy O3 from seafood.

Hope that helps.

jasperb is offline Member
    Thanks, that does help.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Fish and other types of seafood have consistently been shown to correlate with many positive health benefits and outcome.

The problem is that the health benefits of eating fatty fish has led to the extrapolation that eating isolated fish fats provide the same benefits. This is very dangerous thinking. While it's certainly plausible, it should be tested thoroughly and for long periods...which is very expensive and takes so long it almost can't help us.

Eat wild, fatty fish. If you don't like fish, then just really try to avoid Omega 6's.

Note: Do NOT seek out Omega 3 "enhanced foods", like eggs or oils. These are not natural and should be avoided. Just because natural Omega 3s appear to be very healthy, doesn't mean artificially raising Omega 3 levels by feeding chickens Flax makes those eggs healthy.

I'd rather have an egg that eats bugs out of poop than flaxseed.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I visited a lower end supermarket yesterday and was astonished at how much canned seafood
    - boasts omega-3 content
    - is packed in soybean oil

Read dem labels!
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

noquit is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This. It continues to amaze me that people are willing to spend $30/mo for something that is not food and is highly processed when they could suck it up and find a way to get past their preconceived ideas and enjoy seafood. Have you tried smoked oysters in a salad? Making your own caesar dressing with anchovies? Get creative. $30 a month could buy you a lot of good real food with other nutrients in it too, (like protein and stuff), so you really would be saving more than just the $30.
    One of the most sensible posts I have ever read. thanks.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Do not take fish oil supplements. You do not need omega 3. Most of civilization has been landlocked over our history as a species and we got along just fine without consuming any fish or fish oil. Keep your PUFA as low as possible. This includes omega 3 since it is even more likely to oxidize than omega 6. Omega 3, especially EPA and DHA, are the most fragile fats in nature. The reason why cold water fish are rich in them is because they are liquid at arctic water temperatures. Inside the human body, they go rancid because our natural body temperatures are more than high enough to spoil them. This is why fish spoils so quickly while a meat like steak, which is very high in SFA and very low in PUFA, keeps longer.

Some great articles to read:

Why I Don't Take Fish Oil

PUFA, lipid peroxidation processes, and the implications for atherosclerosis and diet Part II

The Great Fish Oil Experiment

Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

Unsaturated Vegetable Oils: Toxic

Do "Essential Fatty Acids" Cause Pattern Hair Loss?

I stay far away from that crap. Fish oil was historically manufactured for one purpose - to make paint products. It is a drying oil, so it hardens with exposure to normal air temperatures, oxygen and light. It's great for making paints, stains, varnishes, etc. When the paint industry switched to cheaper petrol-based paints decades ago, the fish oil and seed oil industries had nowhere to go. The seed oil industries promoted the cholesterol-heart disease hypothesis, so their toxic oils got marketed as healthy and replaced the animal-based traditional fats. Fish oil had more trouble because it contains cholesterol, but now it is being marketed as a health food as well. In reality, it's probably worse than the toxic vegetable oils because it's even more prone to oxidation.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I was introduced to fish oil when I was pregnant, was told by obgyn it was necessary for the fetus.

How about cod liver oil?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Very interested,
    Although I appreciate the contrary opinion and agree that Omega 3 intake from natural food sources is far superior than supplementation, the links provided failed to convince me that fish oil supplements are on par with the damaging effects of omega 6 seed oils
    I do wonder if the opinion is not driven by a puritanical approach that I see here so often, which often suggests it's either "my way or the highway", sure there is the ultimate, whatever that is for you, but there is also the more realistic path's of just being less bad than the current SAD situation and from what I have read fish oil may well be one of those compromises that some need to make.
    Though I am still interested in reading more and will follow.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Very interested,
    Although I appreciate the contrary opinion and agree that Omega 3 intake from natural food sources is far superior than supplementation, the links provided failed to convince me that fish oil supplements are on par with the damaging effects of omega 6 seed oils
    I do wonder if the opinion is not driven by a puritanical approach that I see here so often, which often suggests it's either "my way or the highway", sure there is the ultimate, whatever that is for you, but there is also the more realistic path's of just being less bad than the current SAD situation and from what I have read fish oil may well be one of those compromises that some need to make.
    Though I am still interested in reading more and will follow.
    The reason that the idea that Omega 3 can be as damaging as Omega 6 sounds a bit off is because WHO IN THE HELL EATS TOO MUCH OMEGA 3?

Unless it's through supplementation, it's very difficult to get lots of Omega 3. Sure, if you are very atypical and eat salmon 10x a week, it's possible, but for most they get almost no Omega 3 in their normal SAD. On the other hand, Omega 6s are everywhere in the SAD, so we talk about it much more.

Basically, if Omega 3s were added to everything in high quantities like Omega 6s are, we'd likely have very similar negative issues. I can't wait for Fish Oil fried Potato chips.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Interesting. I was introduced to fish oil when I was pregnant, was told by obgyn it was necessary for the fetus.

How about cod liver oil?
    Same problems. It's higher in SFA's and fat soluble vitamins so it probably isn't as bad, but still...
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast