Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to primal, but love love love craft ales page

Timbobaggins is offline Junior Member

New to primal, but love love love craft ales

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm new to primal eating, Iv'e had no problems giving up bread, potatoes, and carbs in general as Iv'e never consumed them massively anyway, but I do have a few vices these being:

Coffee

Dark Chocolate (80% cocoa and above)

Craft/Real Ales

Out of these I could probably pass up the coffee and the dark chocolate, but I absolutely adore my real ales, I don't drink them massively, maybe 1-2 pints of it a week in total, and I also very moderately consume red wine, but again this isn't a daily occurrence and by no means consistent. I'm only 24 so I'm hoping making these lifestyle changes early on in my life will still allow me the occasional vice but I have to confess I am still concerned about the negative effects these will have on my body and overall health/composition.

I suppose what I'm asking is, whether many primal eaters still consume some of the things Iv'e mentioned yet still see fantastic results or little difference to when they do not?

Thanks everyone

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I've started eating very occasional sweets- baked goods, and don't find that I have any negative impacts. Now alcohol does nasty things to me. Think days of bloat, reflux.....

I'd try and eat very clean primal for a month or two, then add in the occasional beer and see what it does. It may really have no effect on you, and may be something you enjoy. If you drink it and break out in hives and feel like crap, maybe you do need to avoid it. It does take some time to ferret out what you can and can't tolerate and it helps to start from a clean base so you aren't wondering if it was the pizza or the beer that has you feeling like crap.

The other downside is that if you really want to get lean for your vanity that it might not be possible to get that 6 pack and enjoy beer. But I know that there are guys that drink plenty of beer and have amazing bodies....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Coffee and dark chocolate are both primal.

I figure it this way. Food is one of the beautiful things on the planet. If going off plan once in awhile, or even being 80/20 means I can stick to primal forever, then I'm going to do it. Better to be 80/20 or better forever, than to throw my hands up in defeat because I want a beer or some sourdough bread occasionally.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Harpua is offline Member
    I'm a big beer lover and a homebrewer so you're problem is one that I have also. I have managed to limit my beer consumption to weekends only and have seen success. I'll occasionally have one during the week but rarely. Giving up alcohol entirely just wouldn't be realistic for me. I would have given up on being primal within the first month.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I love a good beer and will drink a glass of wine nearly every day.

You'll find what works for you and what doesn't, and it really does depend on your goals for eating primal. My personal goals are weight maintenance, reduce chronic pain through anti-inflammatory diet and overall long term health. I can achieve all of these doing what I do now, which is usually one glass of wine each night, maybe two if we go out a couple of times a month. I don't see any point in restricting my alcohol intake further if I won't benefit from it. You've gotta enjoy life.

krisjkr is offline Junior Member
    I figure it this way. Food is one of the beautiful things on the planet

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Um...you don't have to give up potatoes, chocolate, coffee, or carbs...those all fit into the primal plan in moderation.

You don't have to give up your beer either, unless you have to because of a sensitivity to wheat. There's a bit of wiggle room for everything, you just have to decide how much wiggle too to give yourself that will still allow you to reach your health goals.

And unless I haven't made myself clear...

Primal is NOT low carb!!!!
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I definitely enjoy a good beer, and whisky. I have had great success with primal, even with keeping the alcohol. I don't drink every day, but I do drink some every week. Could I lose the stubborn fat more easily if I went teetotal? Maybe. But I'll take a little extra fat over no beer/whisky.

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    I'm with you. Sure beer is grain based, so not primal, but 80/20 is better than giving up. I'll have 1 or two drinks during the week, and two or three on the weekend. I'm certainly not a shining example of primal lifestyle, but I am slowly and steadily loosing weight without really trying, I have more energy and have gotten off my sinus medication. So a couple of beers a week hasn't totally ruined my primal lifestyle.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I definitely enjoy a good beer, and whisky. I have had great success with primal, even with keeping the alcohol. I don't drink every day, but I do drink some every week. Could I lose the stubborn fat more easily if I went teetotal? Maybe. But I'll take a little extra fat over no beer/whisky.
    Same here, I was actually still a heavy drinker my first winter and still ended up a lot healthier. I think it's important to remember that this is a lifestyle diet, not a crash diet, so it's not about going nuts but about living better from day to day.

Timbo, nothing wrong with any of those things in moderation. In fact, coffee, dark chocolate, and booze can even be considered healthy. I'm more a fan of porters, bocks, and stouts myself, but go ahead and enjoy your ales.

Ghashul, bourbon, scotch, or rye?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast