Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to primal, but love love love craft ales page 2

Timbobaggins is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you all for the replies, it's all been very helpful and good to see I don't have to guilt trip myself out of having the odd couple of beers a week, I am by no means overweight (5"10, and around 135 lbs) so yeah very slim, but I am looking at this as a way of improving my overall health, I still am consuming moderate dairy in the form of cheese, cream, and yoghurt, although I do not drink milk. The major thing I have stopped though is of course the grains and legumes, and anything that can conceivably have gluten in it (other than beer), and I still consume potatoes very moderately.

Another thing I wanted to ask was what peoples opinions are on white rice, I see it mentioned as an "allowed food" on the Perfect Health Diet, which is something else I am also looking into.

I'm presuming the levels of gluten in beer would be negligible compared to those in a slice of bread or pasta however?

I have felt a little tired and had a bit of brain fog this week, probably due to very low carbs, but I upped my carbs a bit today (had banana, apple and some dried fruit) and felt a lot better, is this normal for people?

Thanks again

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the stats, but I know fermentation breaks down gliadin (sic) and the other one that make up gluten, which is how cows and other grazers digest it. Beer and bourbon have less gluten, though I know they suggest Celiacs not to have either even though fermented and distilled wheat would have none, I imagine for psychosomatic reasons.

White rice is on par with potatoes; it doesn't have the antinutrients present in other grains, but it is pure starch. I'd suggest staying away from it, using alternatives when possible. Like anything else, you shouldn't be eating copious amounts of it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Almost. If you could only eat one "white" food on the island until the ship rescued you, you'd be better of with potatoes. They do have some protein. I think of white rice as, "that food that won't harm you, but won't benefit you," and maybe will help you with your food budget.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 04-26-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: left out the "t" in budget
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbobaggins View Post
    I'm presuming the levels of gluten in beer would be negligible compared to those in a slice of bread or pasta however?
    That is not a safe presumption to make. Anyone with celiac or who is gluten intolerant will react to beer. Alcohol is the only gluten-containing food that gives me classic intestinal symptoms.

I have felt a little tired and had a bit of brain fog this week, probably due to very low carbs, but I upped my carbs a bit today (had banana, apple and some dried fruit) and felt a lot better, is this normal for people?
    Um... brain fog... A common symptom of gluten intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That is not a safe presumption to make. Anyone with celiac or who is gluten intolerant will react to beer. Alcohol is the only gluten-containing food that gives me classic intestinal symptoms.

I haven't really consumed much of anything with gluten in it though. I had the brain fog before I had anything to drink (one beer), and as soon as I upped my carbs this went away, though it has to be said I did used to get really bad headaches and although it's early days these seem to have disappeared for some reason since cutting back on all the grains in particular.

But yeah, not so fussed on potatoes and white rice, I can take it or leave it but I'm just thinking it'll make options easier when celebrating and at social outings.

What are peoples opinions on pure fruit juice, such as orange juice, grapefruit juice etc (not from concentrate)?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    I don't know the stats, but I know fermentation breaks down gliadin (sic) and the other one that make up gluten, which is how cows and other grazers digest it. Beer and bourbon have less gluten, though I know they suggest Celiacs not to have either even though fermented and distilled wheat would have none, I imagine for psychosomatic reasons.
    Actually, the reason is that even fermentation doesn't completely break down the glutens in grains. Gluten (and other proteins) can be partially broken and still retain some of their original characteristics.

If you think of a gluten molecule as a charm bracelet with 100 links in the chain and a charm every 10 links or so, fermentation will break many of the links, but still leave bits of say 2-20 links with their charms still attached. Some of those charms will be the evil, autoimmune inducing charms and they will still have at least some effect in people who are susceptible. That's why celiac's should never rely on any process for removing or degrading gluten. (And actually, the gluten molecule looks more like a wadded up pipe cleaner, but I couldn't come up with a clear analogy based on a pipe cleaner.)

BTW, I drink craft and home brew beers now and then. I love beer and I have no deliberate intention of giving it up, but I am finding that over time, I'm getting less attached to it. Maybe I'll feel like giving it up altogether one day.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

sjmc is offline Senior Member

Yeah but alcohol is also the only alcohol-containing food. I don't know exactly what the intestinal symptoms you're referring to are, but I know a lot of people will say that beer in particular makes them feel bloated and full (while gluten-containing foods do not) or report 'expedited bowel movement' the morning after.

Lynna is offline Senior Member

Um...the brain fog could also just be low carb flu, since he reported feeling better after eating some carbs. I still drink beer and bourbon.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Um...the brain fog could also just be low carb flu, since he reported feeling better after eating some carbs. I still drink beer and bourbon.
    It is true that could be. But making a decision to not even test giving up gluten goes against the idea that one should find out whether one is sensitive to it before deciding it is safe to consume. If one is sensitive, it is not safe to consume. And there are some substitutes.

Ok, so Iv'e had a beer today, I also had one a few days ago, I did notice bloating, maybe Iv'e always had this and it's more noticeable now because I'm not consuming any other gluten in any other forms, but definite bloating after the beer, quote uncomfortable really. I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid though like I said iv'e probably always had bloating to some degree but never really noticed it before now. It's early days so i'll continue experimenting a little to make sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12