Thread: Can someone point me to Mark's post on vegetable oils? page

Hebairt is offline Junior Member

Can someone point me to Mark's post on vegetable oils?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been reading Mark's blog for about a year or so. I loved his post on vegetable oils but despite reading it many times, at the supermarket I get my safflowers and sunflowers confused, or my rapeseed and red palm oils. So this time I'll bookmark it, but I can't find it any more! Could somebody please post the link for me?

Thanks a lot,

Stephen

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Mark has written several posts on oils over the years. Is this the one you're looking for?
    Healthy Oils - Mark's Daily Apple

Also, Mark has revised his harsh stance on sunflower oil from that previous post. He now says that if it is high-oleic variety and cold-pressed, then it is alright: Is it Primal? Sunflower Oil, Wheat Germ, Skyr, and Other Foods Scrutinized - Mark's Daily Apple

What I have come to find over the years that I've been actually paying attention to what I eat is that quality always matters. Chicken wings deep fried in lard might be Primal/Paleo approved, but if the chicken and pork were raised in a CAFO and had terrible diet and lifestyle, then it's not going to be the best thing to eat. However if the chickens/pigs were humanely raised and fed a good diet, they will have a different fatty-acid composition and micronutrient profile. The end product is a much healthier.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Hebairt is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the links, I look forward to viewing the second one once I have a moment. I'm with you on the quality thing, that's another factor that makes shopping more difficult. I recall Mark said of red palm oil that it's partly a sustainability issue, which isn't always easy to find out from reading labels. And I can easily find good quality honey - but is it raw? It can be a frustrating search, but rewarding when you find the good stuff!

Stephen.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebairt View Post
    Thanks for the links, I look forward to viewing the second one once I have a moment. I'm with you on the quality thing, that's another factor that makes shopping more difficult. I recall Mark said of red palm oil that it's partly a sustainability issue, which isn't always easy to find out from reading labels. And I can easily find good quality honey - but is it raw? It can be a frustrating search, but rewarding when you find the good stuff!

Stephen.
    Yep. It does require more leg work to find good sources for some things, at least initially. Most honey I see here proclaims its raw-ness on the label if it is such.

I have only bought red palm oil once from Tropical Traditions when it went on super-sale. It has been back-ordered/out of stock for quite some time: Virgin Red Palm Oil - Tropical Traditions
    I'm guessing their supplier/farmers went out of the business and they have been unable to locate a new supply.