Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I learn to love Kale? page

Marcie is offline Senior Member

How can I learn to love Kale?

Primal Fuel
    I know it's good for me but I need some creative or tasty ways to prepare it! I do not find it tasty at all! I would appreciate an recipes that may bring me to be a 'kale-lover'.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    First of all, don't eat anything you don't like. Life's too short.

However... this is one of my favorite recipes and you won't be able to taste the kale.

Indian Lamb and Sweet Potatoes

1 lb ground or minced lamb shoulder or leg
    1 medium-sized onion, quartered and sliced thin
    2 Tbs minced fresh ginger
    3 medium cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp turmeric or curry
    7 cups black kale, finely chopped
    4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
    16 oz chicken or bone broth
    salt and white pepper to taste

Heat 1 TBS chicken broth in large, stainless steel braising pot or skillet. Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and lamb in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stir frequently. Add garam masala, and turmeric, mixing well for about half minute. Add 1 cup broth and stir in sweet potatoes and kale.

Simmer medium/low heat covered for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, until lamb, potatoes, and kale are tender.

Season with salt and pepper

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Hot fat!

I don't like the term "kale chips" but tossing them with salt, vinegar, and olive oil and baking makes them crispy.

If you do dairy, all dark greens taste good in a skillet with alfredo sauce or a simpler combo of butter + garlic + grated parmesan/romano. I usually cheat and use the roasted garlic paste in a jar. You can cook A LOT of greens in a little sauce since they shrink rapidly.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I found this recipe for "molested kale salad" a couple of years ago and it's unbelievable. I'm not a fan of kale either. But when you massage it it turns into some kind of wonderfulness. I've made that several times and have been asked for the recipe more than any other thing I've ever made.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I third the kale chips!

And when they are really dry and crispy, you can crumble them up and use them as a topping or addition to just about anything.

I'm so excited to be growing 3 kinds of kale this year
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

DanielRory is offline Junior Member
    Kale recipes - Recipes - BBC Good Food check out this link as it has some different style of cooking kale.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Easy stuff:

- prepare your kale (rinse, remove the branches)
    - in a frying pan, prepare some bacon strips and once done, keep the fat
    - if you are not afraid of fat, add some butter or ghee to the bacon fat, or duck fat for the flavor
    - toss your kale into the fat, stir regularly and add some flavor like garlic and onion powder, sweet paprika powder, dried rosemary, etc - whatever you like. Salt and pepper of course, you can also add some pine or pumpkin seeds
    - take the pan off the heat, and while it is still warm, add a dash of heavy cream and stir until completely mixed. You can also add a tsp of Dijon mustard if you want some sharpness to the taste

Enjoy as is or with a chunk of meat.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I've never been happy with kale cooked on a stove. But kale chips are nice, and I like to put frozen kale in smoothies (they have this at whole foods, at least).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree with not eating anything you don't like. There are > 20,000 edible plants on the planet, so choking down one that you don't like seems off. I once tasted kale, didn't like it, but didn't want to throw the rest of it away and so made kale chips. Not bad, and kept me from putting perfectly good food in the dumpster. But all in all, I'd rather put that money toward something I like that is as or more nutritious.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast