Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How can I learn to love Kale? page 4

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dice 3 or 4 (or more) slices of bacon. Saute slowly to render as much fat out as possible. While that's cooking tear kale into bite sized pieces, remember to pull it off the thick middle stem which takes longer to cook and can sometimes be bitter. I get the dino kale since it seems to have a milder flavor. Save the middle stems for the chickens or compost heap.

Once the bacon is done to your satisfaction (for this dish I like it crispy) toss in the torn-up kale pieces. Using a set of tongs (or if you have awesome pan skills) toss the kale till its well mixed with the bacon. Allow to cook for, AT MOST, a minute. You basically want the kale slightly wilted but you don't want it mushy-mushy kale is yuck. I've found that Munchkin likes it best when the kale has been slightly warmed and is still pretty crunchy. Serve immediately.

I also like raw kale chopped and added to a big ass salad. With the mix of lettuces and other veggies the kale taste isn't to strong.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

MaryIM is offline Member
    I LOVE kale chips ... a quick, easy snack to prepare!
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Kale fried in lard is delicious, but I also agree that kale isn't necessary in your diet. If you hate it then avoid it!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    I once saw an old Scottish recipe for kale that involved boiling/simmering for hours, then adding butter, salt and pepper to the goo. In days of yore they believed that vegetable matter was indigestible if not boiled into submission. I doubt if many of the nutrients survived the process.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I tried repeatedly, but I can't make myself like kale, either.

miata is online now Senior Member
    If you do smoothies that is a good way to get kale. I make mine with homemade coconut milk kefir, TJ's raw kale, and frozed berries from Costco. I actually like the bitter flavor that kale adds to the smoothie -- especially since some of my coconut milk kekir batches come out pretty sour. If I want to hide the kale flavor for somebody else I just add a banana to the mix.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I just eat raw kale, tasty.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Cook it with bacon ends and pieces. Pick out the bacon and let somebody else eat the kale.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Cook it with bacon ends and pieces. Pick out the bacon and let somebody else eat the kale.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    Yes, I tried repeatedly, but I can't make myself like kale, either.
    And you shouldn't feel you have to either. All these recipes are about disguising/hiding the true taste and texture of kale. My question is not How to learn to love kale but rather Why should I bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That is the perfect kale recipe, Katherine.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast