Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 97

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    It's much less severe when I eat them post workout, I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's because they're replenishing my muscle stores and not flowing around in my blood stream.
    Could be.

I feel it about 1 hour later, and sometimes during my workout (also around 1h plus later). But when I don't eat carbs pre workout, I'm okay only if I don't do high intensity stuff (sprints, weights).

By too insulin sensitive you mean my pancreas releases a substantial amount of insulin everytime I eat carbs?
    It's not so much about the amount of insulin but how the cells react to it.

As I said, I'm no expert so could easily be completely wrong; as I understand it the insulin resistance we hear so much about is a result of to blood glucose levels being raised too much too often, causing the pancreas to release more and more insulin resulting in our cells eventually getting more used to the higher levels of insulin and therefore resistant to it and stop reacting the way they should letting glucose in.

This leaves too much glucose in the blood system causing the pancreas to release even more insulin and so on.

When I mentioned insulin sensitivity I was thinking of basically the opposite, in that when you eat starch, it's converted into blood glucose causing insulin to be released, if your cells are sensitive to insulin (rather resistant) they could be overreacting and taking in too much glucose, leaving you with low blood sugar.

Just a theory, but if you're worried about it you should be able to get your doc to check with a simple blood test, even get a glucose meter which tests blood from a finger prick.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

cthy is offline Junior Member
    Hmm okay.... I get what you're trying to say. I think I'll continue with VLC and try to get Keto adapted for another week or so, if I'm still not feeling 100% then I'll reevaluate and see what I can do.

Thanks!

Also, I would love to try the S&E diet, but beef here is really expensive, averaging $30/kg lamb's also about that price. eggs are still fine, but they're not free-range. On top of that, my parents will probably think I'm crazy (thy already do anyway)

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same way for what it's worth. If I eat fruit any time other than immediately after workout I fatten right up and get a sugar crash...100g berries right after lifting is the only time that works for me. Vegi carbs only the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I'm the same way for what it's worth. If I eat fruit any time other than immediately after workout I fatten right up and get a sugar crash...100g berries right after lifting is the only time that works for me. Vegi carbs only the rest of the day.
    Wow. Means you're fat adapted? How do you manage to lift weights, sprint etc without carbs at all? Or are the berries sufficient.....?

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Also, I would love to try the S&E diet, but beef here is really expensive, averaging $30/kg lamb's also about that price. eggs are still fine, but they're not free-range. On top of that, my parents will probably think I'm crazy (thy already do anyway)
    I'd say there's no need. You're a young athlete right? I'd suggest sticking with primal as it's prescribed and you should see just as good results.

These kinds of tweaks are for us older folks who are battling slower metabolisms, years of damaging our bodies, often lower activity levels and lower testosterone too.

You're heading all of the above of at the pass by getting it right early :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Haha yeah I am! hmm maybe I'm jumping the gun a little..... But nevertheless, I'm always curious and interested to learn about new methods/tactics from the primal community here! It's a really good source of info

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    On critters & eggs (lamb, beef, organs, eggs, occasionally bacon/lobster/sashimi) other than an avocado and some 86% dark choco a day. I can do this for forever now. Pretty much seems to be nutritional ketosis from my understanding of it?
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

How do you manage to lift weights, sprint etc without carbs at all? Or are the berries sufficient.....?
    It's not a problem. But there was a period of conversion where it sucked hard. I thought maybe it wouldn't work out in fact, but stuck with it cause the carbo-life sucked.

Eating around 150g fat per day, the 40g carbs don't play a big role. Lift fasted in the morning 4x a week. Way more energy than in my lethargic carbo days.

Ate 20 eggs today, hehehe.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Back on it this week after a couple of weeks eating 'normally', and boy has it been tough. Not sure why as the first time round I found it easy enough. Gym today was cut short, didn't sleep much and was knackered.