Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 94

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You might find the forum called "Dirty Carnivore" interesting. They are folks who eat a meat centered diet but don't feel the need for strict religious purity about it (hence the "dirty").

I just might. Thank you! I am pretty happy that I found out I can eat much more meat than I thought previously...I LOVE lamb from my childhood in Urumqi & I LOVE beef from my 10 years in Texas.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Wow, that is interesting, never heard of that combination before.
    I stole the idea from poster Knifegill.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Amazing, I ate nearly 5000 calories today.

An awe inspiring 350g of fat!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Amazing, I ate nearly 5000 calories today.

An awe inspiring 350g of fat!
    Hardcore!! ;-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Just an update on my S&E as it approaches the end of 4 weeks...

Stats: 5'9", athletic/curvy built, pant size 4.

Weight loss: -3lbs.

Strength gain
    : I added a good 10-15lbs to my dumbbells (I do 12-15 reps) for arms/shoulders; 20lbs for chest/back; 30-40lbs for lower body exercises. I was rarely sore the day after (save for one notable exception).

Nutrition: Mostly 2x meals a day (lunch & dinner), experimented with a few 24 hr fasts (no food until dinner) but felt lightheaded on those days. Added fish oil & Animal Pak multivitamins since I was training heavily 6x a week. I averaged 1800-2200 cals for 2 meals. Added vitamin C to reduce cortisol and calcium (TUMS) to maximize workout efficiency. Added lemon juice & ACV to morning water in case the body pH hype is true. I torched about 600-900 cals at the gym (plus more salsa & walking).

Exercise: usually 1hr strength training broken up into shoulder&arms, back& chest, lower body 6x a week. 1 hr slow high-resistance moving on the elliptical below aerobic heart rate levels 5-6x a week. Some salsa dancing sessions and long walks for fun thrown in (2-4x a week).

The fourth week was suboptimal in terms of adherence to the program as I started my legal internship and failed miserably between adjusting to a new work schedule and having to go to lunch with my new bosses/coworkers (stayed to omlettes without cheese/steak salads without dressing/etc though).

Conclusion: I am not dissatisfied with the result, but I could have done WAY BETTER. I learned a lot from this challenge though...that I don't need to eat TONS OF VEGGIES every day to be healthy (I used to be obsessed with fitting 10+ types of veggies throughout the day), that grocery-shopping could be SO simple, that Kerrygold butter is AMAZING, that I have been eating too much carbs and too little fat, that I should return to my childhood ways of eating tons of offal (Chinese cooking always involved tons), and that I do very well on VLC diets.

I also learned more traditional Chinese and Texan methods of preparing various cuts of red meat.

Future: I am probably going to continue this S&E challenge (I am sure there'll be "off" days) to the best of my ability until the end of the summer and see how I feel. I will be eating less bacon, less protein (fattier beef and egg yolks), and more liver/heart/etc. I might add low-carb veggies such as mushrooms/spinach/kale/cucumber in 2x a week to make this long term adherence easier.
    Great review! Seems like you got some decent results and laid the foundation for some continued improvements ...Congrats!

QUOTE=Misabi;1225877]Finally home after just over two weeks of travelling in Asia, mostly in tourist areas and without the option to cook or prepare my own food.

I'm happy with not putting on a lot of body fat (normally I put on at least an inch on my waist when I visit Malaysia), probably due to an unplanned 24 hr fast due to not knowing which end of my body food was going to try to explosively escape, followed by multiple days where food continued to go straight through

However, I'm not so happy with the loss of muscle mass.

As of this morning my waist has increased by 0.5", chest down 1" & biceps down to 0.5".

Dietwise, it was always my plan to give the S&E plan another go, as I was expecting to have some fat to drop after my holiday, still contemplating whether I will go the whole hog or just keep it as breakfast and add some veggies and sweet potato or rice in with the evening meal, for a mass gaining protocol. Kinda tempted to stick with the strict S&E for a few weeks though, as I saw good strength and muscle increases last time.[/QUOTE]
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    QUOTE=Misabi;1225877]Finally home after just over two weeks of travelling in Asia, mostly in tourist areas and without the option to cook or prepare my own food.

I'm happy with not putting on a lot of body fat (normally I put on at least an inch on my waist when I visit Malaysia), probably due to an unplanned 24 hr fast due to not knowing which end of my body food was going to try to explosively escape, followed by multiple days where food continued to go straight through

However, I'm not so happy with the loss of muscle mass.

As of this morning my waist has increased by 0.5", chest down 1" & biceps down to 0.5".

Dietwise, it was always my plan to give the S&E plan another go, as I was expecting to have some fat to drop after my holiday, still contemplating whether I will go the whole hog or just keep it as breakfast and add some veggies and sweet potato or rice in with the evening meal, for a mass gaining protocol. Kinda tempted to stick with the strict S&E for a few weeks though, as I saw good strength and muscle increases last time.
    [/QUOTE]

I bet the trip was interesting and enjoyable. Very hard to follow steak and eggs in Malaysia! Not to mention you probably didn't have access to good strength training. Give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, you'll probably bounce back with some great strength gains.

Paleobird Guest
    For those of you contemplating a second round of S&E, how about doing a "Nose to Tail Critters and Eggs" plan? Throw in some liver, an oxtail soup, a piece of salmon. Might keep it from getting boring and I bet you would see the same great results.

Just a thought.

I bet the trip was interesting and enjoyable. Very hard to follow steak and eggs in Malaysia!
    Sure was, a week in Bali first (which was where I picked up the bug), then onto Malaysia to visit family and spend some time on a tropical Island, enjoying some fantastic snorkeling.

Not to mention you probably didn't have access to good strength training. Give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, you'll probably bounce back with some great strength gains.
    I did some bodyweight training a couple of times last week, once I was feeling better, in addition to plenty of walking and a few hours of swimming. But yeah, looking forward to getting back into it and seeing what gains I can make in the coming weeks

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For those of you contemplating a second round of S&E, how about doing a "Nose to Tail Critters and Eggs" plan? Throw in some liver, an oxtail soup, a piece of salmon. Might keep it from getting boring and I bet you would see the same great results.

Just a thought.
    Now PB, that wouldn't be S&E then would it?

I was thinking along the same lines. Made a nice ox shin and lamb liver stew last night.

But will probably do straight up S&E for a few weeks first, then modify it for the longer term.

Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast