Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 93

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by redzeoranger View Post
    Well I started S&E today. So far so good, though I have noticed a craving for more water. I work in a greenhouse and deal with very heavy pots and foutains so I'm always drinking water. I just felt like I couldn't get enough today. Any ideas about that?
    Welcome redzeoranger! Not sure why, but I felt the same way, in my case I attributed it to my increase in salt. In the old school literature I was reading they apparently drank a lot of water, it was supposed to help with their fat loss for some reason, but it could also have been a result of increased thirst while on the diet. Perhaps this is a common side effect - others may comment with a similar experience.

Keep us posted, I for one will be looking forward to hearing about your experience.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I was on holidays the last 10 days, but I'm back on it today for another 4 weeks. Woohoo.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Great, glad to hear you have kept off the weight. Keep us posted should you try the S&E at some other point. All the best!

Still waiting for eKatherine to give us an upudate. She disappeared off the forum about 6 days ago, she used to post 5 or 6 times a day and now nothing. Hopes she is okay, perhaps just taking a break, this can get a little obsessive!
    What happened was that in 3 weeks I lost 7 pounds, of which I figured 5 pounds was fat. I improved all my lifts—except for pullups, still totally pathetic— and my shoulders became noticeably more muscular from the handstand work. I started out too ambitious on the strength work and had to cut back to what (for me) is more reasonable frequency and volume.

At the end of the 3 weeks I fell off and couldn't get back on. Perhaps I was not eating enough fat after the first week when I ate too much fat and calories and overdosed on that. Anyway, I had to go through a couple of weeks without tracking at all and eating whatever I wanted. Now I have gone back to Alternate Day Fasting. I have a lot of ribeye steaks in the freezer which I will begin eating at a rate of no more than one per every other day.

My vacation is the first week in July, when I am planning a 20 mile hike. I'm up to 10 mile walks now, so I should be able to make it without any difficulty or soreness.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Adding another old school thing to my steak & eggs --

Creatine + Baking Soda (plus magnesium)

Experiment - Okay, this sounds weird. But in theory it is a great combo for muscle recovery. Creatine seems fairly natural in that it appears in steak (it takes 2lbs of red steak to get 5g of creatine). It sucks water into the muscles and pumps you up, faster recovery. Baking Soda in theory turns off that burning feeling in your muscles so you can go more reps, and don't feel achy afterwards. Seems like a fairly natural substance. Magnesium can help with muscle soreness also. As an experiment I've added 5g creatine, 15g baking soda, 1g magnesium daily.

Results - a week later I can say it is not a small difference. Weights feel lighter, can go more reps, recover faster between sets, and recover waaay faster after workouts (don't feel sore all day). Since I started all three at once I can't say what specifically is causing the difference. But getting super pumps, soreness way down, and sleep is way better. Also up 5lbs, guess it is water from the creatine, but going to do an electrode body composition analysis later this week out of curiosity.

It has only been a week however, going to continue and see what happens.

Supercharging Creatine With Baking Soda: Study Shows Increased Peak Power and Endurance - Plus: How Bicarbonate Could Help You Lose Fat & Build Muscle - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    steakandeggz!!!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

mscici is offline Banned

Post Body Fats

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I'm going back to old school body building roots to get really defined. If you have been Paleo/Primal for a while and are interested in dropping that last bit of body fat for the summer join in. Ketogenic to the max (except Sundays). You eat only two meals per day: Breakfast and Supper. For meal #1 you eat 3/4 lb to 1 1/2 pounds of steak and 4-6 eggs. For meal #2 you eat the exact same thing. Cook your Steak and Eggs in butter, as much butter as you want, and season with salt and pepper. Prepare your eggs any way you like, fried, scrambled, sunny side up, poached, or hard boiled. No carbohydrates, no vegetables, no other foods, no snacks, no drinks except water, black coffee and unsweetened tea. Sunday is a rest day and high carb day (alcohol if you want it) - keep it Paleo but eat as many carbs as you like. Train hard and heavy - Monday and Thursday - Chest and Back, Tuesday and Friday - Shoulders and Arms, Wednesday and Saturday - Legs. Go to the track and sprint on Tuesdays and Fridays. Starting this coming Monday (April 29th) and will post a daily update.

Its Spring! Time to get out of your comfort zone and push the envelope for a month and get some great results.
    Losing fat and getting in shape is certainly not going to be
    the easiest thing to do, but with the motivation and dedication
    on your part you can definitely do it. Good luck and just stay healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Adding another old school thing to my steak & eggs --

Creatine + Baking Soda (plus magnesium)

Experiment - Okay, this sounds weird. But in theory it is a great combo for muscle recovery. Creatine seems fairly natural in that it appears in steak (it takes 2lbs of red steak to get 5g of creatine). It sucks water into the muscles and pumps you up, faster recovery. Baking Soda in theory turns off that burning feeling in your muscles so you can go more reps, and don't feel achy afterwards. Seems like a fairly natural substance. Magnesium can help with muscle soreness also. As an experiment I've added 5g creatine, 15g baking soda, 1g magnesium daily.

Results - a week later I can say it is not a small difference. Weights feel lighter, can go more reps, recover faster between sets, and recover waaay faster after workouts (don't feel sore all day). Since I started all three at once I can't say what specifically is causing the difference. But getting super pumps, soreness way down, and sleep is way better. Also up 5lbs, guess it is water from the creatine, but going to do an electrode body composition analysis later this week out of curiosity.

It has only been a week however, going to continue and see what happens.

Supercharging Creatine With Baking Soda: Study Shows Increased Peak Power and Endurance - Plus: How Bicarbonate Could Help You Lose Fat & Build Muscle - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
    Wow, that is interesting, never heard of that combination before. Looking forward to hearing how this plays out over the next couple of weeks. Definitely keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mscici View Post
    Losing fat and getting in shape is certainly not going to be
    the easiest thing to do, but with the motivation and dedication
    on your part you can definitely do it. Good luck and just stay healthy!
    Thanks! Actually had good results, lost body fat and gained some significant muscle. Overall the 4 weeks was quite successful.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Just an update on my S&E as it approaches the end of 4 weeks...

Stats: 5'9", athletic/curvy built, pant size 4.

Weight loss: -3lbs.

Strength gain
    : I added a good 10-15lbs to my dumbbells (I do 12-15 reps) for arms/shoulders; 20lbs for chest/back; 30-40lbs for lower body exercises. I was rarely sore the day after (save for one notable exception).

Nutrition: Mostly 2x meals a day (lunch & dinner), experimented with a few 24 hr fasts (no food until dinner) but felt lightheaded on those days. Added fish oil & Animal Pak multivitamins since I was training heavily 6x a week. I averaged 1800-2200 cals for 2 meals. Added vitamin C to reduce cortisol and calcium (TUMS) to maximize workout efficiency. Added lemon juice & ACV to morning water in case the body pH hype is true. I torched about 600-900 cals at the gym (plus more salsa & walking).

Exercise: usually 1hr strength training broken up into shoulder&arms, back& chest, lower body 6x a week. 1 hr slow high-resistance moving on the elliptical below aerobic heart rate levels 5-6x a week. Some salsa dancing sessions and long walks for fun thrown in (2-4x a week).

The fourth week was suboptimal in terms of adherence to the program as I started my legal internship and failed miserably between adjusting to a new work schedule and having to go to lunch with my new bosses/coworkers (stayed to omlettes without cheese/steak salads without dressing/etc though).

Conclusion: I am not dissatisfied with the result, but I could have done WAY BETTER. I learned a lot from this challenge though...that I don't need to eat TONS OF VEGGIES every day to be healthy (I used to be obsessed with fitting 10+ types of veggies throughout the day), that grocery-shopping could be SO simple, that Kerrygold butter is AMAZING, that I have been eating too much carbs and too little fat, that I should return to my childhood ways of eating tons of offal (Chinese cooking always involved tons), and that I do very well on VLC diets.

I also learned more traditional Chinese and Texan methods of preparing various cuts of red meat.

Future: I am probably going to continue this S&E challenge (I am sure there'll be "off" days) to the best of my ability until the end of the summer and see how I feel. I will be eating less bacon, less protein (fattier beef and egg yolks), and more liver/heart/etc. I might add low-carb veggies such as mushrooms/spinach/kale/cucumber in 2x a week to make this long term adherence easier.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 06-16-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I learned a lot from this challenge though...that I don't need to eat TONS OF VEGGIES every day to be healthy (I used to be obsessed with fitting 10+ types of veggies throughout the day), that grocery-shopping could be SO simple, that Kerrygold butter is AMAZING, that I have been eating too much carbs and too little fat, that I should return to my childhood ways of eating tons of offal (Chinese cooking always involved tons), and that I do very well on VLC diets.

Future: I am probably going to continue this S&E challenge (I am sure there'll be "off" days) to the best of my ability until the end of the summer and see how I feel. I will be eating less bacon, less protein (fattier beef and egg yolks), and more liver/heart/etc. I might add low-carb veggies such as mushrooms/spinach/kale/cucumber in 2x a week to make this long term adherence easier.
    You might find the forum called "Dirty Carnivore" interesting. They are folks who eat a meat centered diet but don't feel the need for strict religious purity about it (hence the "dirty").

Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast