Page 92 of 99 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 92

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My gym finally reopened after remodeling, here are the results of the steak & eggs experiment.

The purpose - Lose the last stubborn body fat.

The program - Steak, eggs, greens, butter. One refeed meal per week consisting of more steak and eggs, potatoes, veggies and heavy cream. Calorie deficit of about 30%. Less than 30g net carbs per day. Workout 8x8 sets for 45 min daily (see below). Did it for 5 weeks.

The results - Electrode body composition analysis: Body fat down to 14.5% from 16.4%, lost 4lbs of pure fat! Waist shrunk by 3/4 inch, flat stomach. However muscle down 1lb and water down 2lbs. Total = 7lbs down.

The muscle loss doesn't surprise me; was stuck in hotel gyms for 2wks, jet lagged twice, returned to find my gym closed for 1.5wks, so the majority of the month was screwed as hell, far as workouts. Last 1.5wks didn't take my workout drink which contains creatine, which explains the water loss. Today in the gym was noticeably weaker, feeling about 90% on the lifts. Of course the calorie deficit was large, but I actually think I could have lost fat while maintaining muscle if I had done consistent lifting.

Thoughts - I liked it. Steak, eggs and butter never seems to get old. Also I was amazed at the lack of hunger even down at 1300 calories a day. Guess I'd never been in that serious of ketosis; no sensation of hunger, and plenty of energy. After about 5-6 days of 30 net carbs I start to get irritable, one meal of potatoes resets me for a week. It was a learning experience, I'll definitely do steak & eggs any time I want to lean up in the future.

Going forward - another month of steak and eggs! This time increasing calories to a surplus by adding glasses of heavy cream & eggs. In the gym going to do heavier 6x6 sets. Goal is 12% body fat by the end of the summer, and maintain or slightly build muscle.

One experiment I want to conduct: how high can I go on steak & egg calories before I start adding fat? I feel like I could eat a ton, or at least 2800 (maintenance is 2000) without it triggering fat accumulation, but am going to test it!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redzeoranger View Post
    I would love to try this out though I have one question. I train MMA Tuesday's and Thursday's. Would I still eat just the two meals and consume no carbs even on training days?
    I'd say that you will see a drop in your capacity for intense training such as MMA. So unless you're going to concentrate on more technical aspects, rather than balls to the wall rolling, bag work or sparring, I'd recommend a couple of refeed days a week.

Have a play with timing to see what works better for you, the day before/same day as but before you train MMA, so your glycogen stores are topped off giving you more gas in your tank, or using the MMA as an high intensity session to fully deplete your glycogen stores and refeed afterwards.

Enjoy the experiment! I'm looking forward to getting back into it in a few weeks 😄
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    The adventure continues...

Steak and not Eggs

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1370419627.051251.jpg

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    My gym finally reopened after remodeling, here are the results of the steak & eggs experiment.

The purpose - Lose the last stubborn body fat.

The program - Steak, eggs, greens, butter. One refeed meal per week consisting of more steak and eggs, potatoes, veggies and heavy cream. Calorie deficit of about 30%. Less than 30g net carbs per day. Workout 8x8 sets for 45 min daily (see below). Did it for 5 weeks.

The results - Electrode body composition analysis: Body fat down to 14.5% from 16.4%, lost 4lbs of pure fat! Waist shrunk by 3/4 inch, flat stomach. However muscle down 1lb and water down 2lbs. Total = 7lbs down.

The muscle loss doesn't surprise me; was stuck in hotel gyms for 2wks, jet lagged twice, returned to find my gym closed for 1.5wks, so the majority of the month was screwed as hell, far as workouts. Last 1.5wks didn't take my workout drink which contains creatine, which explains the water loss. Today in the gym was noticeably weaker, feeling about 90% on the lifts. Of course the calorie deficit was large, but I actually think I could have lost fat while maintaining muscle if I had done consistent lifting.

Thoughts - I liked it. Steak, eggs and butter never seems to get old. Also I was amazed at the lack of hunger even down at 1300 calories a day. Guess I'd never been in that serious of ketosis; no sensation of hunger, and plenty of energy. After about 5-6 days of 30 net carbs I start to get irritable, one meal of potatoes resets me for a week. It was a learning experience, I'll definitely do steak & eggs any time I want to lean up in the future.

Going forward - another month of steak and eggs! This time increasing calories to a surplus by adding glasses of heavy cream & eggs. In the gym going to do heavier 6x6 sets. Goal is 12% body fat by the end of the summer, and maintain or slightly build muscle.

One experiment I want to conduct: how high can I go on steak & egg calories before I start adding fat? I feel like I could eat a ton, or at least 2800 (maintenance is 2000) without it triggering fat accumulation, but am going to test it!
    Awesome report and results! Thanks so much for your update. Wishing you much success in your next 4 weeks. Really looking forward to hearing your results.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redzeoranger View Post
    I would love to try this out though I have one question. I train MMA Tuesday's and Thursday's. Would I still eat just the two meals and consume no carbs even on training days?
    I agree with Misabi's advice regarding the increase to two refeed days. Keep in mind this is an experiment for each of us and we will all react a bit differently and depending on our training styles may need to adjust the refeeds somewhat. However, the old school body builders certainly trained with extreme intensity while on the steak and eggs diets and got great results but their workouts generally were short and intense, about an hour long. Typically they did split routines 6 Days a week with Sunday being their rest and reefed day.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Should I do less time on the elliptical? I try to up the resistance and go relatively slow in terms of pace so I'm not up in the cardio zone (x4-5 a week). It kind of amounts to walking with resistance.

I do this in addition to weight lifting (5-6x a week) and HIIT (1-2x a week). This is just the 3 free weeks until my legal internship start next Monday...then after that I plan on doing just the weight lifting and HIIT.

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post

I'd be curious to how both of those would turn out!

Novasteve74 is offline Junior Member
    Well day 5 was....interesting, and has got me doing some calculations. Granted it's still early in the process so I could easily still be adapting. As of now the steak and eggs is going great for the most part. I still feel a bit crazy for eating only steak, eggs and butter, but I have to admit it's downright delicious. One meal a day, whenever I get home from work (or the gym if it's a training day so I train fasted). I'm attempting to calorie cycle -20/+20 for rest days and training days respectively (TDEE was calculated at 1891 calories/day using a sedentary activity multiplier since I have a desk job). Rest day meal is usually ~16oz of steak with 4 eggs and 3tbsp of Kerrygold (~1500 cals). Training day meal is ~24-28oz of steak with 7 eggs and 3-4 tbsp of Kerrygold. (~2300cal)

The interesting effect of today's heavy lift session was that I bonked.....hard. I felt a bit fatigued when biking from work to the gym at 8:00ish, which was the first sign something was up. I powered through and I was able to get the same previous weights as last time, but rep count was a little short on each set by about 1-2 reps, except for weighted dips that I was able to increase in weight. Squats were downright exhausting (more so than usual, like a lack of energy, rather than muscular fatigue) and I felt a little lightheaded after my top set. I'm thinking that running off the previous day's ~1500 cals when I trained fasted today was what got me. I also had been doing a PWO "refeed" ala leangains macro cycling before I changed to one refeed/week about 2 weeks back. Maybe I'm still adapting, maybe I can't be at such a deficit on rest days on S&E, maybe I can't train fasted on S&E. I don't think it's an electrolyte imbalance as I've been generous with my water and salt intake to make up for any deficiencies on S&E. I'll have to keep an eye on it and I'll report back with whatever I find. Any ideas are welcome, of course. Continuing onwards!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Novasteve... maybe more potassium? I was also lightheaded today and fatigued. I also had a massive craving for bananas (not any other carbs) and finally ate 2 and felt much better. Now I'm back on the S&E wagon. Not sure if was because today was one of the first times I've done a 24 hour fast with weight training added in or not. Either way I'm going to the store to pick up some salt substitute (potassium chloride) tomorrow to use on steaks.

redzeoranger is offline Junior Member
    Well I started S&E today. So far so good, though I have noticed a craving for more water. I work in a greenhouse and deal with very heavy pots and foutains so I'm always drinking water. I just felt like I couldn't get enough today. Any ideas about that?

Page 92 of 99 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast