Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 86

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    One surprising outcome of Paleo for me is that I do not need salt on eggs and most meat. However, did you use salted butter?
    Almost all was unsalted. I typically don't really salt my food, but I had seen most of the S&E protocols saying you should. I don't think I need to.

dabears is offline Member
    mr anthony, the "phenomenon" you experienced with your abs I believe was due to the extreme low carb + salting of your foods = high water retention. Let me guess, after your carb refeed you would have an "underwear model" lean look the next day? Which would slowly disappear as the new week wore on?

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    mr anthony, the "phenomenon" you experienced with your abs I believe was due to the extreme low carb + salting of your foods = high water retention. Let me guess, after your carb refeed you would have an "underwear model" lean look the next day? Which would slowly disappear as the new week wore on?
    That's my theory as well; I didn't put on massive weight like many people said they did post-refeed. I actually looked really lean the day after my refeeds. The day OF my refeeds, though, definitely kinda bloated and gassy, but I expected that.

Edited to add: I thought about not salting anything after the first week, but I wanted to do the whole protocol as close as possible to the way it was prescribed, so I'd have a baseline for next time I do it. I was aware of the salt issue at the time of my S&E experience but stuck it out.

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    That's my theory as well; I didn't put on massive weight like many people said they did post-refeed. I actually looked really lean the day after my refeeds. The day OF my refeeds, though, definitely kinda bloated and gassy, but I expected that.

Edited to add: I thought about not salting anything after the first week, but I wanted to do the whole protocol as close as possible to the way it was prescribed, so I'd have a baseline for next time I do it. I was aware of the salt issue at the time of my S&E experience but stuck it out.
    I salt most of my foods (especially steak)... that being said it isn't for every meal, more like once or twice a week! I was glad to see your writeup, I effectively eat/train with the same methodology... 3x a week heavy intense lifting, 1-2x a week ice hockey + low carb throughout week with occassional rice/potato post workout, with a 1x a week refeed (although my food choices are obviously the full primal scale + veggies/fruits). I find if I don't include some form of starch at least once or twice throughout the week, my performance in the gym suffers.

If you were curious about what is described as the "whoosh" effect from low carb water retention, martin berkhan had a great two part writeup on it

How to Deal With Water Retention: Part One | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    How to Deal With Water Retention: Part Two | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Tomorrow will be the last day of my 4 weeks SAE experiment.

I found the first week most challenging, after the first refeed it was a breeze sticking with it.

I have mainly ate rump steak @ NZ$10 to $13/kg (it goes without saying that it's grass fed here, just lucky!), with ground beef ($10/kg) for two meals and lamb steaks for a couple ($10/kg). Free range eggs throughout, which has been the biggest expense @ least $6/doz eating 12/day.

So eating SAE 6 days a week costs approx $72 (3kg of meat @ an avg of $12/kg = $36 plus another $36 for my eggs), plus whatever I ate on the refeed days.

Tale of the tape this morning, waist at the narrowest point 29 2/8", at the navel 30 2/8". No loss if mass from chest or arms have So even with doing essentially no exercise since Saturday fat has continued to drop.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    This morning I cooked 8oz of liver, 2 slices of bacon (tsk tsk) and 5 eggs. I just was not hungry, I managed to get the eggs and bacon down and about 1/4 of the liver before I had to stop. To make up some of the calories I put 1/2 tbsp butter and 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil in my last cup of coffee.

I hope I am not starving by 10:00...

I was starving by 10:00. And I am still starving now...

I still gotta try to climb for a couple hours after work before eating anything. We will see how that goes.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    A work blouse that fit perfectly on day 2 of S&E would not fit me in the shoulder/arms/back area today (day 11). My weight has gone slightly down since I started the challenge so this seems to be from muscle gain.

This was quite a surprising find since the change was quite drastic over a short period of time (especially for a female, although I do gain muscle relatively easily compared to other females) and I'm on a pretty big caloric deficit on most days. Maybe it is water retention in the muscles? I haven't worked out the arms/shoulders since Monday though.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    A work blouse that fit perfectly on day 2 of S&E would not fit me in the shoulder/arms/back area today (day 11). My weight has gone slightly down since I started the challenge so this seems to be from muscle gain.

This was quite a surprising find since the change was quite drastic over a short period of time (especially for a female, although I do gain muscle relatively easily compared to other females) and I'm on a pretty big caloric deficit on most days. Maybe it is water retention in the muscles? I haven't worked out the arms/shoulders since Monday though.
    Awesome. I am hoping I am able to gain some muscle when I am at most breaking even on calories. It is too hard for me to eat enough SAE (so far) to have a caloric surplus.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    Awesome. I am hoping I am able to gain some muscle when I am at most breaking even on calories. It is too hard for me to eat enough SAE (so far) to have a caloric surplus.
    I haven't been eating a surplus though...I broke even calorie-wise on carb refeed day and have been having a 500-1500 calorie deficit on other days thanks to salsa dancing for fun + weight training + HIIT 2x a week. Thus I'm pretty surprised that I'm gaining muscle at all. My goal was more fat-loss than muscle gain but I guess since my weight hasn't gone up I'm also losing some fat.

Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast