Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 85

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I do realize this.

I am going to eat egg yolks with those meals. The BBQ sauce is just butter/rendered beef fat + seasoning, and it is just another cut of beef that isn't fit for steak. The coconut oil + beef tendon is just dirt cheap because it doesn't sell otherwise. Basically, I would have to spend about $50-100 more per week if I only just did steak instead of other parts of beef...and I can't afford that as a poor law student.

Other than different bits of meat than steak, I've weaned off the random almonds and now only eat cuts of beef (lamb) and eggs. No veggies, chocolate, alcohol, etc.
    It is expensive eating this way. I don't have any problem with organ meat on this diet as I just count it as steak. I even bought a few lamb chops for the week. It's just when it comes to sauces and whatnot that it gets too easy for me to start adding things that I shouldn't. Good on you for having more willpower than me.

Do you guys think it is closer to the original steak & eggs to get CAFO beef steak vs. getting hormone-free, grassfed non-steak beef parts? I am torn. Grass-fed steak starts at $11/lb for me if I get it frozen.
    I honestly don't know one way of the other but I've been forced to go at least partially CAFO just to get enough meat. I figure it's a few weeks of sub-par nutrition, but I've gone 28 years eating nothing but HFCS and wheat so this shouldn't be too bad.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    It is expensive eating this way. I don't have any problem with organ meat on this diet as I just count it as steak. I even bought a few lamb chops for the week. It's just when it comes to sauces and whatnot that it gets too easy for me to start adding things that I shouldn't. Good on you for having more willpower than me.
    I checked on caloriecount the carbs/calories/macronutrients I'm adding in with the sauces, if any. I don't use any pre-made sauces. I guess I'll find out if eating coconut oil instead of butter and etc. will affect my progress this week.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    A tip of the hat to Mr. Anthony's great feedback. You look great in your recent photo. Although 3 weeks is a short period of time, it seems like there really weren't any noticeable changes to an already very good physique, according to your report, no apparent muscle or strength gains and no discernible body fat loss. So it was basically a wash when compared to following a Primal plan. It would be interesting to find out what your net daily calories were as an average over the 3 weeks. I'm wondering if the high fat approach will work for everyone looking to get very defined. Perhaps once you reach a certain body fat % set point there is some process we are unaware of that prevents our bodies from going lower when eating a high fat diet. In my case my set point seems to be about 12% which has been my Paleo/Primal low point so far, I crept up to 13.8% as I had relaxed my macro focus and ate a few more carbs (going from 75 to 100 gms. per day to 100 to 150 per day) and then returned to around 12% during my steak and eggs trial, good but I was expecting better. Perhaps a high protein, low fat, moderate carb approach or just high protein for a week would be required. One thing I was impressed with was my strength and muscle mass gains (gained 7 lbs. of lean mass and dropped 2 lbs. of fat), something I was not expecting.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    A tip of the hat to Mr. Anthony's great feedback. You look great in your recent photo. Although 3 weeks is a short period of time, it seems like their really weren't any noticeable changes to an already very good physique, according to your report, no apparent muscle or strength gains and no discernible body fat loss. So it was basically a wash when compared to following a Primal plan. It would be interesting to find out what your net daily calories were as an average over the 3 weeks. I'm wondering if the high fat approach will work for everyone looking to get very defined. Perhaps once you reach a certain body fat % set point there is some process we are unaware of that prevents our bodies from going lower when eating a high fat diet. In my case my set point seems to be about 12% which has been my Paleo/Primal low point so far, I crept up to 13.8% as I had relaxed my macro focus and ate a few more carbs (going from 75 to 100 gms. per day to 100 to 150 per day) and then returned to around 12% during my steak and eggs trial, good but I was expecting better. Perhaps a high protein, low fat moderate carb approach or just high protein for a week would be required. One thing I was impressed with was my strength and muscle mass gains (gained 7 lbs. of lean mass and dropped 2 lbs. of fat), something I was not expecting.
    Thanks Canuck; you're really inspiring about fun stuff like this.

For what it's worth, I noticed no real difference when I did the potato hack last year, either. My body seems to have a pretty solid bodyfat set point on Primal, and it really feels like it upregulates or downregulates everything to keep me looking the same no matter how much or how little primal food I cram into my face. I think for me to get into the 7% or so range I'd have to do something pretty extreme, but I have no idea what that would be. I'm always open to experimenting on myself, though, so if anyone has ideas I'll give them a shot. I don't mind being the forum guinea pig.

I'd like to try S&E again but track everything to see if I can get a little more scientific. I just hate tracking calories and stuff and never do it, so that would be the biggest challenge. It was a fun challenge though.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Been following this with interest, as well as reading a lot about Carb Nite. Only real difference is that the refeed window is after 4pm and ideally very high GI foods to start with. And he reckons that once you get BF <= 10% or so , you need an extra refeed ow due to reduced lepton levels at lower body fat %. Might start a carb nite experiment to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Perhaps once you reach a certain body fat % set point there is some process we are unaware of that prevents our bodies from going lower when eating a high fat diet. In my case my set point seems to be about 12% which has been my Paleo/Primal low point so far, I crept up to 13.8% as I had relaxed my macro focus and ate a few more carbs (going from 75 to 100 gms. per day to 100 to 150 per day) and then returned to around 12% during my steak and eggs trial
    My scale is telling me that I am currently at 13.1% BF.

I know that scales aren't very accurate when it comes to BF% but it's a starting figure. I will check it again every week and see where it goes.

My abs aren't as defined as Mr. Anthony. Let's hope that changes!

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thriveful View Post
    Been following this with interest, as well as reading a lot about Carb Nite. Only real difference is that the refeed window is after 4pm and ideally very high GI foods to start with. And he reckons that once you get BF <= 10% or so , you need an extra refeed ow due to reduced lepton levels at lower body fat %. Might start a carb nite experiment to see what happens.
    Should have read "leptin'

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Do you guys think it is closer to the original steak & eggs to get CAFO beef steak vs. getting hormone-free, grassfed non-steak beef parts? I am torn. Grass-fed steak starts at $11/lb for me if I get it frozen.

If you watch the video Canuck linked back on page 45 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0SCHTin9Q) it sounds like they ate whatever was cheap.

I think the real question would be what was the common meat in the late 60's early 70's. I would think more meat would be sourced from So Cal and Nevada ranches not CAFO farms.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I need to salt everything as much as I did. I was adding salt every meal, but I doubt that's necessary if you're already fat-adapted like I am.
    One surprising outcome of Paleo for me is that I do not need salt on eggs and most meat. However, did you use salted butter?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast