Page 84 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 84

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome aliphian.

I generally eat breakfast in the morning the skip lunch and have dinner in the evening. You may get a little more benefit extending your fast and eating your first meal later, but once I'm at work I generally don't get time for a break.

I've caught a bad cold/flu that's going around the office, so that's killed any motivation I had for exercise in my last few days. The odd thing is that it's made me really hungry!
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Well yesterday's refeed was a bit ott, put on 4lbs...Feel like scrap this morning, like I could sleep another 5 hours!

Into my last week of the first month.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Not as strict as I'd hoped to be. Wife had leftover carrot things I ate, and I had a block of cheese after work yesterday...still seem to be morphing, though...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Just had a half pound new york steak, 5 eggs and some coffee with about 1tbsp of butter and 1tbsp of coconut oil. I was starving but it was hard to get it all down, I guess I'm not used to eating so much at one time. Hopefully this will keep the hunger away longer today.

I'm gonna need to load up on more steak today. Luckily Sprouts is having their double ad day!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I bought random non-steak bits of beef today to save money and to battle boredom. I'm calling upon my Texan and Chinese roots to make the menu more exciting...

For dinner tonight: Texas BBQ beef ribs with homemade BBQ sauce (stevia instead of molasses as sweetener in the sauce).

For lunch tomorrow: Sichuanese Chili Oil Beef Tendon (Couple's Delight. pic: http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...OYevELLg/l.jpg) Going to make my own chili oil with coconut oil, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Steak and Eggs After Action Report

Ok, I finally have a minute to type up how my S&E experience went.

I originally figured I'd try it for 2 weeks just to see how it went, since I'm pretty lean already, but ended up doing 3 weeks because I found it to be a very easy way to shop and eat, and I never felt tired of eating steak and eggs.

Methodology
    I kept pretty strict; virtually all of my meat was grass-fed steak. I had a couple of non grass-fed steaks in there, and had a lamb steak one meal a week or so, and maybe one meal a week was grass-fed ground beef instead of steak. All eggs were free-range from my neighbor or organic from Sprouts (neighbor couldn't keep up with demand). I had a slice of bacon on my steak once per week or so.

Everything was cooked in coconut oil, ghee, butter, or some combination of those. Seasonings were salt and pepper only, with a splash of hot sauce on the eggs most of the time. I had a forkful of sauerkraut most days, and took a couple of desiccated liver tablets every other day or so. Only other supplements were fish oil and sometimes vitamin D and magnesium.

Refeed day was once per week on Sunday, usually accompanied by a LIGHT workout or activity. First refeed day I went totally overboard and had SO MUCH food. Second was moderate, third was just back to Primal eating.

I didn't track ANYTHING. Most days I had 1-1.5 lbs of meat and 12-15 eggs, although sometimes more food, sometimes less. Usually two meals per day, but sometimes three. I was going through a stick of butter every 3 days or so. I have no idea what my daily calories were; I just ate when I was hungry.

Observations

I guess I dropped a bit of fat, but my abs didn't look substantially different afterwards. I also noticed that I seemed to be more prone to up and down puffiness. My abs would look underwear-model one day, but less defined the next, especially later in the week leading up to the refeed for some reason.

Workouts were fine, but I felt like I didn't always have a lot left in the tank on heavy lifting days and had to sometimes dial back on the number of reps my last set or two. No big strength gains, but no loss either. My workouts seemed to be a bit more hit-or-miss; sometimes awesome and sometimes just OK.

Energy was fine throughout, but when I got hungry I usually wanted to eat soon, versus being able to wait a long time like I usually can.

What I would change

I DO feel like I learned some things from doing this and might adjust my normal eating patterns in the future.

I don't think I need to salt everything as much as I did. I was adding salt every meal, but I doubt that's necessary if you're already fat-adapted like I am.

I think my refeed should be every 4 days or so. Until I try it again, though, I think I will just generally have very low carb days with occasional moderate carb days thrown in on heavy lifting days.

Next time I should track my calories and macros. I really have no idea if I was running a surplus or deficit most days. I should pick either one and track to stay there next time I do S&E.

Overall

I didn't mind the monotony at all. I was usually ready for a refeed day by the time it got there, and afterwards was ready to get back to steak and eggs. I thought it was pretty easy to do, although I did occasionally want a bit of wine, cheese or chocolate.

My bathroom...uh...activity...was greatly reduced. Like just a very small mini-sub launch every two or three days, I think. After refeed day was a TOTALLY different story, however.

I'd do it again, albeit with the tweaks I outlined above. I think I would add an extra sprint day to my week, also.

Here's a pic from the last day on S&E. My abs were actually more puffy that day than they were the day before or the next day (return to Primal day). The fluctuation was weird, and I have no idea what caused it.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I bought random non-steak bits of beef today to save money and to battle boredom. I'm calling upon my Texan and Chinese roots to make the menu more exciting...

For dinner tonight: Texas BBQ beef ribs with homemade BBQ sauce (stevia instead of molasses as sweetener in the sauce).

For lunch tomorrow: Sichuanese Chili Oil Beef Tendon (Couple's Delight. pic: http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...OYevELLg/l.jpg) Going to make my own chili oil with coconut oil, red pepper flakes, and sea salt.

That is a lot of non-Steak/Eggs/Butter that you have going on. I'm going to be as strict as I can for as long as I can or I risk completely abandoning the diet.

Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    That is a lot of non-Steak/Eggs/Butter that you have going on. I'm going to be as strict as I can for as long as I can or I risk completely abandoning the diet.
    I do realize this.

I am going to eat egg yolks with those meals. The BBQ sauce is just butter/rendered beef fat + seasoning, and it is just another cut of beef that isn't fit for steak. The coconut oil + beef tendon is just dirt cheap because it doesn't sell otherwise. Basically, I would have to spend about $50-100 more per week if I only just did steak instead of other parts of beef...and I can't afford that as a poor law student.

Other than different bits of meat than steak, I've weaned off the random almonds and now only eat cuts of beef (lamb) and eggs. No veggies, chocolate, alcohol, etc.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 05-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    I've decided to go super strict for this final week. Week two and three I found myself letting some things slip and it showed as a lack of progress in weightloss. Cutting coffee seems to be working wonders so far this week as I like my coffee really light and all that heavy cream was cutting into my calorie deficit too much.

Had an awesome inside skirt steak last night, too bad it wasn't about .25 lbs bigger. I was worried the gas grill wouldn't get hot enough to get the sear quick enough but it turned out good. Tonight is flat iron steaks.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you guys think it is closer to the original steak & eggs to get CAFO beef steak vs. getting hormone-free, grassfed non-steak beef parts? I am torn. Grass-fed steak starts at $11/lb for me if I get it frozen.

Page 84 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast