Page 82 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 82

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Finished! Here are the results.

Body Fat % went from 13.8% down to 12.2 % - caliper assessment by exercise physiologist, then went down to SF and got the Scan to confirm

Weight 173 - Gained 6 lbs. muscle - lost 4 lbs. fat
    Shoulders - Gained 1 1/2 inches
    Chest - Gained 1 1/2 inches
    Waist - Lost 1 1/4 inches
    Arms - Gained 1 inch
    Thighs - Gained 1 inch

Overall fairly satisfied, by staying calorie positive in order to gain muscle I believe I impacted my fat loss somewhat. Still not too bad for 61 years old. So for me total calories do obviously matter, even on a low carb diet. To get really cut I think I will need to go calorie negative and perhaps add in an additional re-feed day mid week. Thanks to everyone who joined in on the experiment! I look forward to following your posts and monitoring your progress.

Here are a couple of photos that you may find interesting. The first photo is me (with a moustache ha ha!) at peak fitness Version 1.0, age 32, while competing at the Ironman. The second picture is me today at 61. In the first photo the younger me was 172 lbs., today I weighed in at 173 lbs. In the years between these two photos I stayed in fairly good shape, but following the SAD resulted in a gain of 47 lbs. of mostly fat (peaked out at 220lbs.). After 15 months of Paleo/Primal and the right kind of exercise I have gone full circle and I am back with Peak Fitness Version 2.0 (minus the speedo!)

John's Ironman Photo.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-30-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday was a struggle. I normally have breakfast around midday on weekends, but yesterday it got pushed back until 5pm (unintentionally). By which time I was pretty hungry, cooked up my usual steak and added a couple of extra eggs (8 in all), which I demolished in double quick time!

Started getting hungry again by 8pm, so whipped up the remaining steak and another 4 eggs, but after a couple of mouthfuls I just couldn't eat any more. I wasn't full, or even not hungry, I just couldn't face another mouthful, repulsed even.

This morning I woke up at 6.30 and was ravenous, so back to normal steak and 6 eggs, polished off without a problem :-)

These carb refeeds seem to mess me up for a day or two afterwards.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Great results Canuck. I don't believe that I'm eating enough calories to add much muscle, but I am dropping the stubborn last bit if belly fat.

I've been thinking it would be good to do some start and finish blood tests the next time, it'd be interesting to see what impact this diets has had on the standard serum lipid profile tests.

Also, have you tracked your body temp? I haven't, but took it today and it was 95.1f 1st thing in the morning then 96f after breakfast. I'm going to track it daily from here on and see how it goes for the rest of my last week, then compare it to my first week back to normal diet.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I'm wondering about how necessary the refeeds really are.

I can see for someone who is already very lean but looking to get totally "shredded" they may be helpful but I'm not sure they are that essential for other folks. Particularly when they are the "stuff yourself senseless" variety.

Or perhaps a "refeed" but just not so drastic e.g. have a potato with your steak now and then would be better.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Today (refeed day, day 7 of challenge) I had:
    -sushi (no random sauces, just sriracha sauce mixed with wasabi to dip in)
    -nonfat frozen yogurt with dark choco chips + a tiny bit of oreos (oops)
    -pineapple
    -blueberries
    -strawberries
    -tiny bit of sweet potato chips
    -egg white smoothie post workout with raw cacao, frozen apple+banana slices.

Gonna have a bowl of honey nut cheerios with almond-coconut milk and blueberries for "dinner" tonight and probably more egg whites or crab claw for fat-free protein source. Reminds me of when my ex used to have 2 bowls of Fiber One cereal with skim milk every day for dinner because he was trying to diet.

Worked out hard today. 1 hour plyometrics (jump squats, jump lunges, etc.) + 1 hour legs & abs. Might go salsa dancing tonight as well with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Congrats!

@novasteve: come join the fun! I just jumped into it the day I learned about the challenge. I already had a small breakfast but started with lunch/dinner that day.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post

Body Fat % went from 13.8% down to 12.2 % - caliper assessment by exercise physiologist.

Weight 173 - Gained 5 lbs.
    Shoulders - Gained 1 1/2 inches
    Chest - Gained 1 1/2 inches
    Waist - Lost 1 1/4 inches
    Arms - Gained 1 inch
    Thighs - Gained 1 inch

Overall fairly satisfied, by staying calorie positive in order to gain muscle I believe I impacted my fat loss somewhat. Still not too bad for 61 years old.
    Yeah I'd say, "not bad" is an understatement. Lost fat, gained muscle!

I'm roughly your size / BF, but was calorie deficit all month, so will be interesting to compare. Feel like I gained muscle even at a big deficit.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Seeing some real changes now. Can't wait to see the results at end of month two.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not done yet. I haven't been strict enough often enough. Even though I have seen good changes! Going to keep it going another week at least, here.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm going to try fasted workouts this week instead of consuming 1-2tbs of coconut oil beforehand and compare end of week results with last week.

Page 82 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast