Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 8

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Nutrition is my guess. I spend a lot more time in the kitchen than the gym.

Nothing special in the gym. First six weeks were 45min stationary cycling 6-days a week at a fairly challenging pace. After the large percentage body fat decrease heavy lifting (StrongLifts) 3x a week at near max every single session for a couple months. Now switching to 8x8 sets with only 30sec rest, as I'm not cool with the current body fat. I want to gain strength, but the fat has to go first, plus that's easier.

BTW, I've worked out before, and it never did jack. Nutrition was what changed this time. Thanks Mark.
    The heavy lifting is what would matter. You could have eaten ho-hos.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    ^ LOL, not sure I agree with that analysis. I gained muscle in the first 6 weeks and all I did was sit on a stationary bike.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    Proven to work for those with elite genetics. As long as the complete protein profile mimics "steak and eggs", results should be the same for elites. Y'all need to look into the other strategies Vince used for Lou and Arnold (elites). No matter what we all do, we won't get those results. If we could, we wouldn't be in this forum. We can try those strategies to see if we get improvement but when comments come out stating how a strategy worked for elites and imply they work for the rest of us is just unconscionable.
    You are correct. This is a 4 week experiment, you are welcome to join in and judge the effects, share your experience and perhaps learn something about yourself or you can just sit on the sidelines and comment. I'm certainly not implying we will get the same results as Zane, Columbo or Draper, but I am curious to see what will happen to the average person who tries the diet.

April results are in and I'm pumped up. "Steak and eggs" just started this week, so whatever impact that will have, will be reflected next month.

"InBody" Composition Analysis:
    Dec - 190lb, 30% bodyfat, .94 hip/waist ratio (Mid-Dec)
    Jan - 173lb, 20% bodyfat, .90 hip/waist ratio, +7.3lb lean mass
    Feb - 174lb, 19% bodyfat, .89 hip/waist ratio, +2.2lb lean mass
    Mar - 172lb, 17% bodyfat, .88 hip/waist ratio, +0.4lb lean mass
    Apr - 170lb, 16% bodyfat, .88 hip/waist ratio, +1.1lb lean mass

YTD - 28lbs fat lost, 11lbs lean mass gained, 1lb "mineral" lost, net change lost 18lbs. *

* Based on electrode analysis using an InBody machine, it is supposed to be one of the more accurate methods available...and I'm not going to argue with results since they pass the "makes sense" test. The only number I was shocked at was the +7lb lean mass in 6wks when switching to "paleolithic" nutrition. Breaking it down the machine said intra/extra-celular water stayed roughly the same and "protein" category increased 8lbs. So all I can guess is that skeleton/muscle jumped with the sudden massive boost in quality protein intake.

After that initial jump seem to be averaging 1lb muscle per month, plus some body fat reduction. Goal is to hit 12% BF and then hammer away on strength training, so lots more work in 2013. But I think "steak and eggs" plus 8x8 old school sets in May/June will help get there...
    Very impressive, thanks for the detailed insight. I am as curious as you to see the impact of the diet. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thank you. And I love your challenge idea it's just that iron pumping is not right for everybody all the time. I do like the idea of the carnivorous diet plus pushing your capabilities to new heights. So maybe I'll climb a taller mountain or finally conquer that elusive pull up.

I just hope you are not making your challenge exclusively "lift hard or go home". There are many forms of challenging exercise. If someone is just starting out with a lot of weight to lose, it might be a great commitment to just get out for a walk on a daily basis.

Frankly, I just feel like I have spent way too much of my life in a gym already and it bores me to tears.
    Sure, find your personal fitness challenge and embrace it. I've enjoyed a lot of fitness variety over the years from body building in my 20s to Ironman in my 30s to Crossfit, Yoga and even Simple Fit body weight training recently. Personally, what I've found is combining weight training with a Paleo diet is definitely the quickest way to change your body and help burn fat. I'm currently enjoying some good old school body building, but as is my nature I may gravitate to a new challenge in a few months. Not trying to dictate any type of training just inviting people to join in my experiment and share their experience.
    Last edited by canuck416; 04-25-2013 at 11:31 PM.

8 eggs is only 560 calories. A pound of broiled sirloin is a little over 800 calories, 2 pounds approaching 1700. A quarter pound of butter 960 cals. Sorry but risk of calorie deficit for anyone lifting an active vs sitting on their back side all day. 8 eggs + 2lbs sirloin + 1/4lb butter leaves me close to a 400 calorie deficit.
    You must be a heavy weight. My calorie calculations for this diet indicate an intake of between 2400 and 2700 calories per day depending on the steak and amount of butter. My weight maintenance calorie requirement (I'm currently 168 lbs) is around 1970 calories and I'll be burning off about 450 calories max during my workout. If I feel I'm not getting enough calories I'll just add a couple more eggs. If I was lighter I'd probably cut back a bit on the size of the steaks, if heavier add more eggs and butter.

Tell us a bit about yourself. How do you currently train? What is your diet like? How much do you weigh and what is your body fat percentage? You seem fairly knowledgeable. perhaps you could post a picture to show how your training and diet has worked for you.
    Last edited by canuck416; 04-25-2013 at 11:18 PM.

The heavy lifting is what would matter. You could have eaten ho-hos.
    Definitely not true in my experience. Diet is at least 80% of the battle when it comes to reducing body fat.

Package just arrived...things get old school serious now.

Desiccated liver tabs. Starting with 3/meal for May.

Package just arrived...things get old school serious now.

Desiccated liver tabs. Starting with 3/meal for May.
    Cool! Where did you order the dessicated liver from. I'd like to order some.

PrimalCon New York
    Solgar brand desiccated liver - "100% argentinian beef liver, range fed, hormone free". Seems solid. I've tried finding fresh liver in my region, but they aren't really into that here.

Also check out Dr Ron's freeze-dried liver. I'm going to pick some up when I'm in the states in a couple weeks and test it out...
    Liver - New Zealand Grassfed Organic, Freeze-Dried

Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast