Page 68 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 68

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As I approached my first carb-up, I didn't really think I needed it. I'm still not sure I do. I'm not sure it's helping, though I don't think the way I am doing is hindering me. Remember, it's the only day I eat vegetables. But I like it, so I'm going to keep it.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Same here, pretty much. Not sure I even need it, but I love the flavor of fruit, even if it's not necessary to our health at all.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    As I approached my first carb-up, I didn't really think I needed it. I'm still not sure I do. I'm not sure it's helping, though I don't think the way I am doing is hindering me. Remember, it's the only day I eat vegetables. But I like it, so I'm going to keep it.
    For me, I think its essential, especially regarding training. Each Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday my workouts are incredible and my strength gains are noticeable. Thursday thru Saturday I'm in maintenance mode. Progressively over the 4 week schedule strength will have increased, lean body weight will be maintained and perhaps increased and body fat will be reduced. I do not think I would get the same results with out the refeed process.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Didn't Gironda have the refeeds every 4-5 days? I've got a ton of stuff of his printed out at home, but I certainly may be misremembering.

Theo911 is offline Junior Member
    Isnt the refeed mandatory to reset leptin which controls starvation mode hormone or is that just when a person is in an extreme caloric deficit?

Yes he did for body builders with comparitively low bodyfat percentages getting ready for contests. I chose a variation with a longer period to take into consideration the generally higher BF percentages of those on the Forum, myself included. It also was the choice time period of many body builders in the Venice Beach/World's Gym golden era.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post
    Isnt the refeed mandatory to reset leptin which controls starvation mode hormone or is that just when a person is in an extreme caloric deficit?
    Yes that is definitely the premise and one of the most important aspects of the refeed.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post
    I think the leptin reset is a theoretical thing. How would you know it has happened, as opposed to other processes?

I think the leptin reset is a theoretical thing. How would you know it has happened, as opposed to other processes?
    Agreed, its definitely a theory and of course based on some real life results. But remember this is a trial to determine best practices including time between refeeds or whether refeeds are beneficial etc. That's why its great to get all the feedback from everyone highlighting their personal responses, adaptations and results.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Twenty-four-hour leptin levels respond to cumulative short-term energy imbalance and predict subsequent intake.

In this study, after only 24 hours of eating at 70% of their maintenance calorie levels, subjects experienced a 12% drop in leptin levels. This turned out to be important for their post-underfeeding rebound calorie intake.

Here are quotes:

" Leptin levels ... were restored (104 21% and 106 16%; not significant) only after subjects crossed-over to complementary dietary treatment that restored cumulative energy balance."

This means that after eating at 70% of their maintenance levels, leptin balance was NOT restored by eating at 100%. Leptin was only restored when they were OVERFED for a period that resulted in a net energy balance for the duration of the underfeeding.

"Leptin levels are acutely responsive to modest changes in energy balance. Because leptin levels returned to BASE only after completion of a complementary feeding period and restoration of cumulative energy balance, leptin levels reflect short-term cumulative energy balance. Leptin seems to maintain cumulative energy balance by modulating energy intake."

So you must overfeed to restore leptin levels. Technically if we're "starving" ourselves for 6 days before a refeed (as some of us are doing on steak and eggs), then our leptin levels would only be restored if we ate enough to fully compensate for 6 days' worth of deficit calories, according to this study. But still, I think it's a good thing to have a surplus day once a week.

Edited to add: only carbohydrate affects leptin levels. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126336. That is why we must overfeed with carbohydrate and not just fat and protein to affect leptin levels.
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-16-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Page 68 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast