Page 65 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 65

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by moon7 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am lurker to this thread so I thought I should come out of lurkdom (if there is such word ) and introduce myself. I have been on steak & eggs for 2 weeks and have dropped 8 lbs. I actually eat lamb as my main source of meat with occasional turkey and salmon and of course eggs, butter, ghee, EVOO, CO. I know most of you lift heavy weights. I am back to lifting after 8 weeks break. Right now I am doing more endurance type of lifting (high reps low weights) and I workout to exercise DVDs. I also do lots of walking every day (1 hr).
    I am combing this with JUDD (alternative day fasting). I have DD (down days) at around 500 cal and up days anywhere from 1500-1900 cal. I am 124 lb right now with 20% body fat (I don't know how accurate my scale is, but I do have some body fat in middle that needs to go). My goal weight is 115-120. I wonder about the re-feeds for me. I had one today but it was a little disaster. I just overate carob chocolate that I made. I was planning on having some veggies and white fish and lots fruits, but it did not turned out this way. I wonder if re-feeds are necessary at my weight. I was really craving carbs today even thought my re-feed was not due till Friday (I think it is pre-menstrual cravings that made me go crazy on carbs). My carb cravings disappeared completely since starting s & e 2 weeks ago, but today I really went over my limits. I am looking forward to going back on protein tomorrow.
    Welcome moon7, great to have you on board! Looking forward to hearing about your results. I think eKatherine sets the right example when it comes to refeeds. Check out her personal steak and eggs thread for some great food pictures.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    nixxy, it's just a mind game. When you're ready, give it a go.

moon7, welcome and good for you for delurking. You're doing really well on the s&e. I think it's ok to have chocolate on refeed day...enjoy yourself! It's carbs. It's good. I have some chocolate-covered strawberries set aside for my carb day on Friday already. Can't wait to attack them!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I eat fatty meat, egg yolks, and butter on steak-and-egg day, which keep me satiated. On refeed day, I eat low fat to make room for more vegetables and fruit.

If you start at the beginning you will see two entire refeeds between the steak photos in my diary.

Steak and eggs photo diary

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I tried out the ZIOH forum for a little while but the two things that bugged me were Charles insisting that muscle meat only was the best, nose to tail eating was silly, and that grass fed was a waste of money. Funny how he's changed his tune on the last one since getting a sponsorship from USWellness Meats.
    Hey there. I don't worry about grass vs grain too much, but I agree the more of the animal you can eat, the better off you'll be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Hey there. I don't worry about grass vs grain too much, but I agree the more of the animal you can eat, the better off you'll be.
    I agree with Mark about not letting the perfect become the enemy of the good. But grass fed clearly does have an advantage. It is one thing to say that, for me, at this time, the additional benefits of grass fed are not worth the premium price. It is another to say, "Yay, Walmart beef!" and "anybody who spends money of grass fed meat is an idiot". That was Mr. ZIOH's stand. Then, after getting the USWellness Meats link on his page, his policy changed to "Well, of course, it is a matter of personal preference and I would never try to influence what my readers buy." Maybe USWM gave him a lifetime supply of grass fed pemmican and he figured out what he had been missing.

And, about eating nose to tail, he pulled out a quote from the arctic explorer Steffanson about the Eskimos throwing liver to their dogs to justify the fact that he (Mr. ZIOH) doesn't like liver. I read that quote to mean the exact opposite. In a climate where the health of your dogs means survival for the people giving them the liver means it was highly prized, not considered unfit for humans.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I understand the cost limitations of eating pastured meat but I do everything I can to ensure my meat is pastured, organic and local if possible. I feel the same about eggs, try to ensure they are from free range chickens, are not fed soy products or anti biotics and are from local farms. I believe the level of toxins, use of antibiotics and growth hormones makes most of the typical meat products in grocery stores unhealthy to eat.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I really feel for you folks. It's crazy that grain fed meat beef is the norm, over here it's sold as a delicacy in high end restaurants because it's an expensive way to raise cattle.

It's much cheaper here to let them roam free on grassy hills and just round them up when it's time for slaughter.

Free range eggs are still expensive sadly, at NZS$5.60 per dozen if your lucky (in a super market). Right next to trays of 30 cage eggs for almost the same price.

In fact, my food bill for this week came to approx $80, with the eggs costing as much as, if not more than the steak.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

whitegirlinasia is offline Junior Member
    Okay, I'm late to this challenge but I'm in. I've been off the strict paleo wagon for a bit and would love to lose some pounds. I'll start Saturday. Refeed on Fridays. Sometimes I'll have ground beef instead of steak because steak is sometimes hard to find steak in Asia. Also I'll be cooking up my steaks in garlic and onions and occasionally mushrooms. May add a small salad once a day to keep the bowels regular. There will be cream in my coffee. I'll weigh in on Saturday.

CavemanJoe is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    Well, this isn't typical. I'm doing this on a budget so I bought Costco-sized portions of sirloin steaks for $4.50/lb and a top round roast for $3.50/lb. I sliced the roast into steaks, which form the bulk of my diet. I live in the DC suburbs and meat is absurdly expensive here. Over at Whole Foods your garden variety NY Strip is going to be $10-15/lb, sirloin is usually $8/lb, and high end cuts like filet are as much as $18-20/lb.

Honestly, if you know how to cook a steak you can make a Costco sirloin taste pretty damn amazing. Salt liberally and let it sit out a few hours and then cook it sous vide, searing with a propane torch. Yeah, it takes time and effort but you can't argue with the results. My cheap steaks taste damn good.
    Ah right, that's a good idea! So with the roast, you just fry them like you would with normal steaks?

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I totally understand. Perhaps the idea of 4 weeks is a bit daunting. Why not give it a try for 3 or 4 days and see how you feel.
    Hmmm good idea. Then I wouldn't feel so vege-deprived hahaha.

Perhaps next week I will... I'll eat the rest of my veges over the weekend.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Page 65 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast