Page 62 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 62

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    During normal times I've gotten home from eating out and gone to the fridge to eat more protein. A big reason I'm not eating out right now is that I can't get the size steak I need at any restaurants around here. (We don't have real steak houses.) You can't enjoy the carbs or alcohol, they don't feed you enough, why bother? Even on carb day, everything is too high in fat. Mashed potatoes with butter and cream? Doesn't fit in that day, either.
    Yeah we haven't gone out either (well, except for carb day). At home, a brilliantly cooked 24 oz. steak and 6 fried eggs costs me roughly 20 minutes of my time and $8. At a restaurant, this would be an off-menu order and likely cost more than $30, if I could even find a place to order it.

I'm going to a happy hour this evening and I'll probably just get a dram of neat Scotch and abstain from food. It's just not easy going out on this diet. But that's ok. Save money and lose fat. I can have fun when I'm lean.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Been solid steak and eggs, but today I ate a pound of chicken liver with my eggs instead. Saves money and keeps me from feeling run down! Will eat my other steak soon...
    I think that is actually a smart move. Eating liver as a substitute for one of your meals especially in the 2nd or 3rd week is probably a good idea.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    Yeah we haven't gone out either (well, except for carb day). At home, a brilliantly cooked 24 oz. steak and 6 fried eggs costs me roughly 20 minutes of my time and $8. At a restaurant, this would be an off-menu order and likely cost more than $30, if I could even find a place to order it.
    Seeing as how I can't eat egg whites, it would take a pretty advanced kitchen to provide me with any preparation of egg yolks.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I'm going to a happy hour this evening and I'll probably just get a dram of neat Scotch and abstain from food. It's just not easy going out on this diet. But that's ok. Save money and lose fat. I can have fun when I'm lean.
    They may have pickled eggs at the bar in case you need to munch on something. I've been bringing my own hard boiled eggs with me when we go to a steak house, just to have something else to eat. Luckily in my area, I have two excellent steak houses and a Brazilian steak house too. I'm saving that one for a special occasion. We went there last month before I started s&e, looking forward to doing it again.

I have chocolate-covered strawberries, a pint of blueberries, some curried shrimp, and frozen bananas set aside for my refeed on Friday. Looking forward to it but also, amazingly, still enjoying steak and eggs.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    There has been some discussion surrounding the eating of wheat on refeed days in the thread. Here is a good concise blog post on the subject.

The Rise of Gluten Intolerance: Modern Wheat | The Gluten Minded

Daryl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I didn't. If you want to supplement, I'd say supplement lightly.
    Are you leery of fish oils, etc, Katherine?

Z0oom is offline Member
    S&E sounds good, but I'm gonna bust out the liver for dinner tonight. I was gonna sneak in an onion, but I want to learn to like it more without being smothered in caramelized onions because I bet thats more sugar.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member

Wtf??? 8 dollars for over a pound of steak??? You have it good in the US...2 pounds of t-bone in Germany cost me 20 euros, and that was half price.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Wtf??? 8 dollars for over a pound of steak??? You have it good in the US...2 pounds of t-bone in Germany cost me 20 euros, and that was half price.
    Well, this isn't typical. I'm doing this on a budget so I bought Costco-sized portions of sirloin steaks for $4.50/lb and a top round roast for $3.50/lb. I sliced the roast into steaks, which form the bulk of my diet. I live in the DC suburbs and meat is absurdly expensive here. Over at Whole Foods your garden variety NY Strip is going to be $10-15/lb, sirloin is usually $8/lb, and high end cuts like filet are as much as $18-20/lb.

Honestly, if you know how to cook a steak you can make a Costco sirloin taste pretty damn amazing. Salt liberally and let it sit out a few hours and then cook it sous vide, searing with a propane torch. Yeah, it takes time and effort but you can't argue with the results. My cheap steaks taste damn good.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Are you leery of fish oils, etc, Katherine?
    Not at all. I am however leery of supplementation in general, having been raised in a household where we took a handful of supplements several times a day, to no apparent benefit. I don't believe in the "insurance" hypothesis of dietary supplementation, whether it is based on "I'm gonna eat a crappy diet, but I'm okay because I'm taking vitamins," "The modern food chain is devoid of nutrients, so I need to take lots of vitamins" or "I feel fine and eat an excellent diet, but I probably have lots of nutritional deficiencies that I need to take large doses of vitamins to remedy."

I wish I had all the money my mother spent on supplements over the years.

Your mileage may vary.

Page 62 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast