Page 58 of 99 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 58

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    2700 calories is not very much. And define sedentary. Anthing short of hard labor? Actually not getting out of bed and just wasting away?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    2700 calories is not very much. And define sedentary. Anthing short of hard labor? Actually not getting out of bed and just wasting away?
    Hmm, I'm thinking I need to eat more.

How much are you putting away knifegill?
    Height/weight and age too, if you don't mind :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No problem! I'm 31, 5'9" usually eat between 2800-3500 calories most days. I work in a hospital and walk between 5 to 10 miles per shift on a busy night. That said, there are days when I'm just not that hungry, and might not eat more than 2000-2500 calories.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    No problem! I'm 31, 5'9" usually eat between 2800-3500 calories most days. I work in a hospital and walk between 5 to 10 miles per shift on a busy night. That said, there are days when I'm just not that hungry, and might not eat more than 2000-2500 calories.
    Same height but a few years older, plus I spend most of my day on my butt in front if a PC. I do walk up and down at least 32 flights of stairs on a work day (as I won't take the elavator), which I've found replaced a half hour walk a day when I switched jobs.

When I stopped having to walk to and from work I put a couple inches on my waist in 2 months, started taking the stairs and it dropped back to normal. I'm guessing I had my diet so dialled in for my activity level that it just took that small change to make a difference.

But on this diet I'm felling like I need a to eat a little more. Going to try upping the fat for a few days and see.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    I was reading an old Lyle McDonald article this morning and found the following quote to really apply to me:

"As one final comment, this is actually my approach to lifting during a diet even if metabolic work isn’t being added to the training. On a diet, usually folks find that while their top end may not suffer much, their endurance and work capacity often goes down. They can get through a couple of heavy sets but then everything drops off in a big way. I’d rather them just get the couple of quality heavy sets done and move on.

Trying to maintain the same heavy volume they were doing prior to the diet is usually a mistake so heavy training volume goes down. Again, most of the fat loss will come from the diet and/or cardio anyhow, heavy weight training should be performed to maintain muscle mass and the same maintenance rules apply regardless of what else is being done."

Whatever else you think of Lyle McDonald (read: he's a whiny douchebag), he's incredibly well-read in terms of body recomposition. Last week I couldn't believe I increased my deadlift from 350x4 to 350x5 on this zero carb diet. What I didn't mention was that on my later reverse pyramid sets, I only managed 275x9, rather than the previous week total of 275x12. This theme has permeated the rest of my training too. Of course, this is not a bad thing in terms of fat loss and lean body mass retention - the important thing here is the large periodic stimuli to the large muscle groups. But if you are experiencing similar performance declines, do not despair. Keep the intensity up on your top work sets. It's all part of the process.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Stomach is so flat! OMG!
    Steak and eggs rules hard.

Down 4lbs, stomach flattening out nicely...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Tummy fat is definitely thinning out.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Heh. I'm actually up 2lbs after my first week. Go figure.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Heh. I'm actually up 2lbs after my first week. Go figure.
    It may take a few days to drop off that excess glycogen, fiber, and maybe water you picked up from a refeed.

I found that during week 1 I was eating too many calories (I'm obviously not a young guy) so now I keep track to make sure that doesn't happen. Now I feel better, then I felt like I was stuffing myself daily.

If your body is ready to build muscle, it will do that preferentially when you are giving it excess protein. I've found that happens in spurts.

Hang in there.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Here is a link to a very good research white paper on the effect of low carbohydrate diets on fat loss that I am sure you will all find interesting.

Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    Promote a More
    Favorable Body
    Composition Than
    Low-Fat Diets
    Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD, Erin E. Quann, PhD, RD, and Cassandra E. Forsythe, PhD, RD
    Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut

http://www.nmsociety.org/docs/LowCar...rable-body.pdf

Page 58 of 99 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast