Page 47 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 47

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Thank you both for the informative replies. I'll give the refeed day a go next Tuesday and see how it goes.

I'm in the same boat as Kegas but aiming to lose another 50lbs. Feeling very good so far, haven't felt hungry since breakfast at 7am UK time, and my gym session went smoothly.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    I still have about 80lbs to go.
    If you have 80 pounds of fat to lose, then there is definitely no reason to focus on things like carb refeeds. As long as you lift weights, you can pretty much eat as little as you want with complete impunity. Look at this study:

Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training co... [J Am Coll Nutr. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

The relevant bit is: Obese people who ate an 800 calorie LIQUID diet consisting of 40% protein, 49% carbohydrate, 11% fat and engaged in resistance training three times a week lost, on average 31.75 pounds in 12 weeks. Meanwhile, they only lost 1.76 pounds LBM. (For comparison, those who did cardio and consumed the same diet lost 39.9 pounds, but 9.04 pounds LBM. CRAZY!) Those who did cardio lost 12.8 pounds of fat vs 14.5 pounds of fat for those who did resistance training.

So basically, if you are obese (starting BMI's for this study were 35) you could, if you wanted to, drink nothing but 800 calorie shakes with 80 grams of protein for 12 weeks, lift weights 3x a week, and lose roughly 15 pounds of fat without losing any LBM. You have absolutely no reason to think about carbohydrate refeeds until you're lean and dieting to get leaner.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I love this thread.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    I still have about 80lbs to go. Before my carb-up day I had been 2-3 weeks since any "cheat" and I was losing about 0.3 pounds a day. After my carb-up I'm losing ~1 lb a day. I'm a little amazed, I didn't expect rates like this after the first month/25lbs.

In my eyes a refeed is the kind of thing you just need to play with. Try doing it one week then not the next. Take note of how you do the first 7 days and then the next 7 days. If the second week isn't as effective repeat the process. Even if it doesn't work, as long as a refeed doesn't send you into a spiral, losing 1-2 days aren't a a major set back.

Then again I lean towards a scientific nature so I enjoy these types of experiments for the sake of seeing what happens.
    Going from losing .3 lbs per week to 1 lb per week after a refeed is great. I agree that this is a personal experiment and monitoring your speed of weight loss on a low carb approach is a good way to judge when to add in a refeed day. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, good personal info that may help others!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    A personal best today! I decided to do a pushup test before starting my weight workout this morning and was able to do 100 pushups without a break - finally!! - after trying to get there for the last couple of months. Not bad for an 'old guy'. This coming Monday I'm shooting for a bench press record 1 RM and on Wednesday trying for a record squat 1 RM. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    A personal best today! I decided to do a pushup test before starting my weight workout this morning and was able to do 100 pushups without a break - finally!! - after trying to get there for the last couple of months. Not bad for an 'old guy'. This coming Monday I'm shooting for a bench press record 1 RM and on Wednesday trying for a record squat 1 RM. Stay tuned!
    Freaking awesome!

I typically do fasted workouts, but noticed today my workout was just a bit off. Nothing serious, just gave myself a little more rest in between deadlift sets and didn't quite hit my 5 sets of 8 pullups with a 45 lb weight belt (last 2 sets were 6, I think). I think I should maybe knock down two eggs or something before a workout on this plan, or maybe work out later in the day a few hours after I eat, especially late in the week.

I'm doing great on steak and eggs so far--totally satisfied with it, no cheating, etc. I'm looking forward to refeed day, however--I think I'm going to do a light weight/bodyweight exhausting circuit workout (fasted) that morning and then eat the hell out of some sweet potatoes, veggies, and an absolute pile of fruit. I'm interested to see what happens next week on Week 2.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    You guys and gals are all inspiring me. Of course I would have to balance the impetus to follow the steak and eggs protocol with the realization that my wife would finally be convinced I am insane and have an eating disorder.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    After reading this thread and doing some of my own research, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I'll be starting tomorrow and going for 4 weeks. Trying to get down to 15% (or lower) body fat.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

little vase is offline Senior Member
    You rock, canuck! 100 push ups! I still can't do even one. But I will.

iqlfm1.jpg

Carbing today. Breakfast was a banana and coffee. Lunch was sweet potato fries, apple, walnut, chicken, raisin salad, and a dark chocolate/banana/almond butter smoothie. FULL!

Novasteve74 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey there,

Long-time lurker here finally getting my first post out. I'm already loving this thread and can't wait to hear the results. I've been primal for about a year and a half and have followed a leangains-style IF protocol for the better part of the past year. I currently float around 145-147lb at 5'6" with about 14-16% bf. I've made some fantastic strength gains and fat loss, though I believe my body has finally settled into a comfortable state. I'm currently doing a Whole 30 challenge with a friend until the end of May, but I forsee myself jumping on the bandwagon for June. Hoping to shred the last few pounds then, but in the meantime I'll keep a close eye on the thread!

Page 47 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast