Page 46 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 46

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have to say, I'm not sure how long I'll continue. I'm at 84kg today, which is up from last week, and my waist measurement is the same.
    I've been extremely strict most of the time. No vegetables at all, and I kept my carbs on the weekend, except for yesterday when I had to have a cup of raspberries with cream (not too shabby when that is your irresistible craving, eh?).
    I really enjoy steak and eggs, but I'm getting somewhat bored when I can't have a good sauce or some mushrooms or anything to change it up. Am considering after this week going to a more normal low carb diet with refeeds.

In my workout yesterday I did 137.5kg x 6. So I can still workout, though I had hoped for 7-8 reps. My OHP the other day was 5 reps, which was more of a fail (it's "as many reps as possible 5+" and I've never only hit the 5 before.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, it seems this is more for looks than strength! My workout was awful yesterday. It'll be nice, though, if I stay at this new weight and can add back my usual menu, gain strength like I was, and be a lean machine!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'd be interested to know how much your body comp would change one you get back to normal. I'm in day 3 now andvapart from a small red onion, few chestnut mushrooms and a carrot I've had no carbs. If i get back to circa 75g...how much would it change?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Here's a great Youtube video from someone who was on the scene at Muscle Beach during the 60s and 70s (Ric Drasin) telling it like it was -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0SCHTin9Q
    Yep, I noticed awhile back that the bodybuilder crowd seem to be the only ones in the West who have nutrition figured out. It works, cause it is 100% paleo.

But it's morphed somewhat these days into "carb up and keep your fats low". Most people over at the bodybuilding forums keep repeating this "keep your fats low" line endlessly. Oh and "spike your glucose to build muscle" or whatever. I definitely agree with the old school, new school seems like a good way to become a muscle-fatty.

Anyhow, I'm still on steak and eggs and green vegi every day w 8x8 workouts. Tossing in swordfish, tuna and bison steaks occasionally. Always with eggs, butter, and either asparagus, broccoli or spinach. No cheat days although I do a large refeed meal once a week with two sweet potatoes. Converted to two meals a day and thats working. Actually never hungry on this plan even at a significant calorie deficit.

Getting noticeably leaner!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I have to say, I'm not sure how long I'll continue. I'm at 84kg today, which is up from last week, and my waist measurement is the same.
    I've been extremely strict most of the time. No vegetables at all, and I kept my carbs on the weekend, except for yesterday when I had to have a cup of raspberries with cream (not too shabby when that is your irresistible craving, eh?).
    I really enjoy steak and eggs, but I'm getting somewhat bored when I can't have a good sauce or some mushrooms or anything to change it up. Am considering after this week going to a more normal low carb diet with refeeds.

In my workout yesterday I did 137.5kg x 6. So I can still workout, though I had hoped for 7-8 reps. My OHP the other day was 5 reps, which was more of a fail (it's "as many reps as possible 5+" and I've never only hit the 5 before.
    Apparently, from what I've read, it's typical on this diet for your strength to dissipate by the end of each week and then get a big boost over the weekend. However the trial for me was to reduce my body fat, not a focus on strength gains. All your maximum lifts should be on the Monday or Tuesday if your refeed is on Sunday. Over the 4 weeks each early week maximum should go up over the training period. The same thing applies to leptin, its highest on Monday thru Wednesday then starts to dissipate by the end of the week requiring your refeed on Sunday's to boost levels. The length of the depletion phase is I think what is in question. Should the refeeds be every 7 days or every 4 days or some other formula (like lean gains)? I think personal experimentation is the only way to determine what works best for us as individuals. The idea behind the trial was to recreate a diet and training philosophy that helped create some amazing physiques and see how it worked for each of us and jump start our fat loss, no one should feel compelled to stay on this for the long term if it is not working for you, however sometimes we quit something just before the best results emerge. Steak and eggs is simple and easy, requires no macro or calorie counting or any complex food mixing strategies but eventually it does become boring and most of us eventually crave variation. Switching to a classic low carb approach with more variety, changing up the refeed spacing ratios and adding some flavorings is part of the adaptation process as we each seek to find the best way to reduce our body fat percentages.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    So these refeed days, should one do them when one is pretty overweight?

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Generally I would say that a person should follow the Primal Blueprint until they reach their target weight and then use these types of strategies to get rid of that last 10 lbs of fat that is always our biggest challenge. However I believe this type of diet can also help you get past sticking point plateaus and refeeds are an important part of the process as it boosts leptin (although if refeeds are a trigger to binging for you then I would not advise it). Remember its leptin that spurs fat release from your fat cells. If you remain low carb for too long without a refeed then your leptin drops significantly and your body hangs on to body fat. Leptin is considered an anti-starvation/metabolic balance hormone. As your Leptin levels decrease, the signal is sent to inform your body that it is going into starvation mode. As your body goes into starvation mode we all know what happens---your fat loss slows down immensely or in some cases to a screeching halt. So in order to kick fat loss into gear again, you need to raise Leptin.

I can't count have many people have asked the question of why they lost fat after cheating. They have been so good and clean on their diets for weeks and results slowed down, they got frustrated, they cheated and 2 days later woke up lighter and leaner than before the cheat. Main reason right there, they raised Leptin. Raising Leptin levels will give your body the kick-start it needs for the next few days to keep you out of starvation mode as you diet. As long as your body is out of starvation mode, the faster the fat loss, and the less likely you are to lose LBM, while suffering on all counts in the process. Balancing calorie and carb restriction with the right levels of leptin is the key to fat loss.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-10-2013 at 07:31 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A fantasy of banana chocolate chip pancakes with real maple syrup just passed through my consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    A fantasy of banana chocolate chip pancakes with real maple syrup just passed through my consciousness.
    Yum, sound like an awesome Sunday refeed breakfast! I think I'll pick up some gluten free pancake mix today.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    I still have about 80lbs to go. Before my carb-up day I had been 2-3 weeks since any "cheat" and I was losing about 0.3 pounds a day. After my carb-up I'm losing ~1 lb a day. I'm a little amazed, I didn't expect rates like this after the first month/25lbs.

In my eyes a refeed is the kind of thing you just need to play with. Try doing it one week then not the next. Take note of how you do the first 7 days and then the next 7 days. If the second week isn't as effective repeat the process. Even if it doesn't work, as long as a refeed doesn't send you into a spiral, losing 1-2 days aren't a a major set back.

Then again I lean towards a scientific nature so I enjoy these types of experiments for the sake of seeing what happens.

Page 46 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast