Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 4

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    As far as nutrients are concerned - 3 ounces of beef provides the same amount of Iron as 2 3/4 cups of raw spinach. 4 ounces of beef gives you 40% of your daily requirement of Zinc. 4 ounces of beef gives you 40% of your daily requirement of Selenium. 4 ounces of beef gives your nearly 50% of your daily requirement of vitamin B12 and 25% of your daily requirement of vitamin B6. Beef is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Eggs contain Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium.
    I've been trying to tell people this for a while now. Carnivorous diets are not going to make one deficient in anything.

Drumroll is right about a bit more fat and less protein getting you more ketogenic. A way to do that while still staying all steak and eggs all the time is to add a couple of extra egg yolks and toss out some whites.

Welcome to the meaty side. Rawr!

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Yep, I realized last night, after demolishing a 1.25lb sirloin, I could never get tired of it. This is going down!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I've been trying to tell people this for a while now. Carnivorous diets are not going to make one deficient in anything.

Drumroll is right about a bit more fat and less protein getting you more ketogenic. A way to do that while still staying all steak and eggs all the time is to add a couple of extra egg yolks and toss out some whites.

Welcome to the meaty side. Rawr!
    Thanks for the tip PB, I may add in some extra yokes from time to time. I think the weight training I'm planning will require the elevated protein levels. We shall see, its an experiment so I may adapt the macros a bit after a couple of weeks based on my results.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Seeing how I am sensitive to egg whites, I toss all the whites and just eat the yolks. Even the cats won't eat them.

Z0oom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Seeing how I am sensitive to egg whites, I toss all the whites and just eat the yolks. Even the cats won't eat them.

Just curious, do you think the whites not digesting well could be from what the chickens are fed? I cannot remember where I heard this, but often times people with egg intolerance issues stem from intolerance to what the chickens eat, ex; soy, wheat, corn ect. Or even a lack of sufficient bugs and what not that pastured chickens get to eat.

It just seems so wasteful to throw out those egg whites, have you come up with any uses for them?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Thanks for the tip PB, I may add in some extra yokes from time to time. I think the weight training I'm planning will require the elevated protein levels. We shall see, its an experiment so I may adapt the macros a bit after a couple of weeks based on my results.
    Given your workouts and that fact that you have been fairly low carb Primal for quite a while now, you probably can handle a bit higher level of protein without gluconeogenesis going overboard.

Nora Gedgaudas advocates a lower level of protein for most people coming off the SAD because, since their body is still in sugar burning mode and hasn't become fat adapted yet, if they start gorging on too much steak, the body will seek out the metabolic pathway that is the most familiar and gluconeogenesis will disrupt their attempt to get into ketosis.

I don't think this would be such a problem for you.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0oom View Post
    Just curious, do you think the whites not digesting well could be from what the chickens are fed? I cannot remember where I heard this, but often times people with egg intolerance issues stem from intolerance to what the chickens eat, ex; soy, wheat, corn ect. Or even a lack of sufficient bugs and what not that pastured chickens get to eat.

It just seems so wasteful to throw out those egg whites, have you come up with any uses for them?
    It's reached the point where I don't care. I'm not going to do a ton of research trying to find if different sources of eggs affect me differently. I don't think that "not digesting well" is a good description of what is happening.

As far as I'm concerned, if the cats won't eat them, I shouldn't be either. Though I will on occasion make non-primal desserts from them.

Z0oom is offline Member
    It's reached the point where I don't care. I'm not going to do a ton of research trying to find if different sources of eggs affect me differently. I don't think that "not digesting well" is a good description of what is happening.

As far as I'm concerned, if the cats won't eat them, I shouldn't be either. Though I will on occasion make non-primal desserts from them.
    Fair enough....my dogs wont eat egg whites either, they will only eat the yolk. More fat anyways

Ok its steak and yokes for you! Now just add the hard core weight training and sprints and lets see what we end up with at the end of 4 weeks. Are you in?
    Last edited by canuck416; 04-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Given your workouts and that fact that you have been fairly low carb Primal for quite a while now, you probably can handle a bit higher level of protein without gluconeogenesis going overboard.

Nora Gedgaudas advocates a lower level of protein for most people coming off the SAD because, since their body is still in sugar burning mode and hasn't become fat adapted yet, if they start gorging on too much steak, the body will seek out the metabolic pathway that is the most familiar and gluconeogenesis will disrupt their attempt to get into ketosis.

I don't think this would be such a problem for you.
    Makes sense thanks...Ok PB time to ramp up the workouts with some intensity for a month and see what kind of results you get on your ketogenic diet, are you in?

Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast