Page 34 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 34

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    I pushed my carb day back to today (because I wife weighs herself on Monday) and I have to say I'm having a hard time with it. First off, nearly all carbs were purged from the house a month ago. Secondly I don't even want any carbs anymore.

So my forced carb meal is a chuck roast with 3 large sweet potatoes and 1-1/2 sweet onions. My wife is out for a friend's birthday dinner so I get to force down all the carbs alone. Seeing as I didn't have any other carb sources in the house I just extended my normal 14h evening fast to a 22h fast. First time I've ever gone that long, it wasn't too rough but I was happy when the roast was ready.

I'm feeling a little beat down over the past couple days of lifting so I think my only activity will be stretching today. (other than my daily 2 mile lunch walk)

Not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up this feed day week after week.
    Very interesting Kegas76, this is the complete opposite of many trying this diet who look forward to the refeed. Seems like the ketogenic type of diet really works for you. I think the idea behind the refeed is all about preventing metabolic slow down, muscle growth, leptin etc. Has your body fat been dropping steadily since you have been ketogenic or had you reached a sticking point?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Very interesting Kegas76, this is the complete opposite of many trying this diet who look forward to the refeed. Seems like the ketogenic type of diet really works for you. I think the idea behind the refeed is all about preventing metabolic slow down, muscle growth, leptin etc. Has your body fat been dropping steadily since you have been ketogenic or had you reached a sticking point?
    I'm to the point where I have absolutely no feeling of longing or need for starch. I will on occasion have a fruit carb up day. Although my idea of "carb up" is probably pretty tame compared to multiple spuds. I don't really see the need for any forced ingestion of carbs. My higher carb days are more like "relax and enjoy" as opposed to "stuff it in". I really think all that metabolic slowdown stuff is not really that relevant for anyone who is not already quite lean. (sub 20%BF for women, sub 15% for men). For those in that level of leanness, carb refeeds are very helpful to get "that last little bit". I don't feel the need.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Basically like Paleobird said, since I really got in the groove about two months ago I haven't even really cared about carbs. The scent of fresh baked goods is about the closest I get to noticing them and half of that is probably a scent memory trigger.

I haven't really hit a sticking point yet (and I do have a long way to go) except for a 2-3 day streak two weeks ago. I was basically doing it to see how it worked with the lifting as I'm just starting to work on that again. So I will probably drop the feed up unless it does some crazy rebound loss two or three days later.

Don't get me wrong I like starches, I just have two problems with them:
    1) I want them with fat (taters, rice, or sweet potatoes with lots of butter please)
    2) When I'm eating them I turn into a grazer

So considering I don't actively crave them its best to just keep them away.

Paleobird Guest
    Absolutely. Starch makes a great fat delivery device but starch by itself reminds me of chewing on a dry sponge. Why bother?

Basically like Paleobird said, since I really got in the groove about two months ago I haven't even really cared about carbs. The scent of fresh baked goods is about the closest I get to noticing them and half of that is probably a scent memory trigger.

I haven't really hit a sticking point yet (and I do have a long way to go) except for a 2-3 day streak two weeks ago. I was basically doing it to see how it worked with the lifting as I'm just starting to work on that again. So I will probably drop the feed up unless it does some crazy rebound loss two or three days later.

1) I want them with fat (taters, rice, or sweet potatoes with lots of butter please)

Definitely sound like carbs (starches in this case) are a trigger food for you. The more I hear from everyone the more I realize how different and unique we all are and how we need to experiment and really identify what works best for each of us.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Navajo is offline Member
    Well, that was weird! I had the usual cup of coffee with cream this morning then wasn't really hungry all day so only had 8 oz of steak and 4 boiled eggs around 3 pm then just did my chest and arm workout that I did last Tuesday and the increase is kind of scary. I know it's just a bowflex and not real weights, but I mean, some exercises I doubled the weight (2 sets of 8 reps (heavy enough to go to failure)). The lowest gain on any movement was still around 20%. Maybe last week I was just more tired. I really don't have any explanation but I can now see definition in my biceps where there was NONE last week. Holy cow!

Looks like I’m going to have to find a way to get to a real gym since I am maxing out the powerbars on some exercises and it only goes to 210 “Pounds” HA!

The other good news is that my son asked me when I was finished if I could show him how to work out for strength so I walked him through Day 1 of the strength training program. He did very well! He also asked if he should do the steak and eggs thing but he has NO body fat so I am afraid to let him. Will just concentrate on keeping him Primal-ish and stuff more food down.

Navajo is offline Member

I noticed the same thing this weekend. After I did my (bad) carb-up day, the following day I felt like I was starving all day. I mean, right after eating a pile of steak and eggs in butter, I found myself back in the kitchen looking for something to graze on. I didn't give in and it stopped today, but it would seem that I too am a carb grazer. Something I'll have to keep an eye on.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
    I noticed the same thing this weekend. After I did my (bad) carb-up day, the following day I felt like I was starving all day. I mean, right after eating a pile of steak and eggs in butter, I found myself back in the kitchen looking for something to graze on. I didn't give in and it stopped today, but it would seem that I too am a carb grazer. Something I'll have to keep an eye on.
    After I do a carb refeed, I'm never hungry the next day. Yesterday I had 60% carbs, 1675 calories in all, mostly fruit and vegetables. Except for a small piece of cake and a small scoop of ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
    Well, that was weird! I had the usual cup of coffee with cream this morning then wasn't really hungry all day so only had 8 oz of steak and 4 boiled eggs around 3 pm then just did my chest and arm workout that I did last Tuesday and the increase is kind of scary. I know it's just a bowflex and not real weights, but I mean, some exercises I doubled the weight (2 sets of 8 reps (heavy enough to go to failure)). The lowest gain on any movement was still around 20%. Maybe last week I was just more tired. I really don't have any explanation but I can now see definition in my biceps where there was NONE last week. Holy cow!

Looks like I’m going to have to find a way to get to a real gym since I am maxing out the powerbars on some exercises and it only goes to 210 “Pounds” HA!

The other good news is that my son asked me when I was finished if I could show him how to work out for strength so I walked him through Day 1 of the strength training program. He did very well! He also asked if he should do the steak and eggs thing but he has NO body fat so I am afraid to let him. Will just concentrate on keeping him Primal-ish and stuff more food down.
    Great to hear you're making strength gains, that means your gaining some muscle and beginning to increase your metabolic rate. Exactly what we are trying to accomplish this month.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    After I do a carb refeed, I'm never hungry the next day. Yesterday I had 60% carbs, 1675 calories in all, mostly fruit and vegetables. Except for a small piece of cake and a small scoop of ice cream.
    Works the same for me eKatherine, really enjoyed the carb day. Today I'm enjoying my steak and eggs but not feeling overly hungry or the need for carbs.

Page 34 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast