Page 31 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 31

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    I'm going to disagree. As you said, this is short term. The nutritional differences between grass fed and corn fed cattle are significant, but they're also important for long term health concerns rather than short term. The steak and eggs diet works primarily because it's zero carb, high protein, and high fat. Sure, it's possible that 4-5% of the diet's efficacy comes from some sort of beefy magic that other protein sources can't match, but I kinda doubt it. To adhere to the steak and eggs diet is to get the 70s bodybuilding experience and enjoy the fat loss benefits of a cyclical ketogenic diet. Any further benefits of switching from grain fed Costco steak to grass fed gourmet meat would be, in my opinion, insignificant.
    I totally agree, my point was it is a one month trial to get the 70s experience and to not worry about grassfed or pastured beef. As a long term strategy though I encourage eating organic and local if possible. Getting to know where you food comes from and supporting small local farmers and growing your own food is not only good for your health it's good for the planet.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-05-2013 at 08:42 AM.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I totally agree, my point was it is a one month trial to get the 70s experience and to not worry about grassfed or pastured beef. As a long term strategy though I encourage eating organic and local if possible. Getting to know where you food comes from and supporting small local farmers and growing your own food is good for your health and the planet.
    Ah I misread your post. Carry on!

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Refeed day sounds yummy and I agree w/you that Rick Drasin video are very good!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Carb refeed day! I baked a yam and mixed it with white rice for breakfast, tasted real good! Going to have it again for lunch along with a big salad and salmon. I'm really craving fruit today, so far I've already had an organic organge, apple and banana and I'll probably have some grapes and melon later. Dinner tonight will be another big salad, gluten free spaghetti with homemade marinara sauce and lean bison, some good Sonoma red wine and dark chocolate. Yum!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Picked up some 'Rainbow Eggs' at the Whole Foods the other day. Pastured organic chicken eggs from a local farm. Different sizes and colors and very yummy!

94019692_cc9ad3bfb5[1].jpg

Navajo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

Oh, man! Clearly your cravings are different from mine. Here's what I craved for my break-steak:

*snip pics*

grapefruit
    cutie
    kimchi
    smoked salmon

Rest day.

Results so far:
    Down 2.2 pounds
    Lost 1/2" around the waist, 1/2" around the hips, 1/4" around the thighs. Wearing a size smaller jeans. Looking really trim. Some of that excess flesh seems to be disappearing.
    I hear you! They were quite weird even for me! HA!
    But, back on the steak and egg wagon today. Just got finished with another 2 hours weedwhacking on the side of a steep mountain, played ball for another hour or so with my son and pup, then came in and fixed myself 4 eggs fried in butter and 10 oz of steak. YUMMM!!

While I was running around the yard like an idiot (racing my son to the ball across the yard) my jeans fell completely down around my knees! I'm gonna need some new clothes and/or remember to wear the dang belt! HA!

EXCELLENT progress and enjoy your meals!

Tom

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading along to see how it goes for everyone. And I'm interested to see what happens after you go back to eating normally. I'm considering taking on this challenge in the future, but am worried that the weight will come piling back on afterwards and it would all be for nothing. I'm also recovering from a back injury last weekend and so sticking with body weight for a little while.

Keep up the great progress everyone!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I'm reading along to see how it goes for everyone. And I'm interested to see what happens after you go back to eating normally. I'm considering taking on this challenge in the future, but am worried that the weight will come piling back on afterwards and it would all be for nothing.
    I think the problem with most weight loss diets is that they're not satiating. They don't satisfy you in the short term or the long term. And besides that, they make you eat foods you don't like (but the diet designer thinks you ought to like) instead of foods you like and your body needs. So the longer you stay on the diet, the more physiological and psychological deficits build up, and the bigger the crash when you either end the diet and go back to the "real" SAD world you never intended to leave, or when you fall off and into that downward spiral.

Navajo is offline Member
    I think the problem with most weight loss diets is that they're not satiating. They don't satisfy you in the short term or the long term. And besides that, they make you eat foods you don't like (but the diet designer thinks you ought to like) instead of foods you like and your body needs. So the longer you stay on the diet, the more physiological and psychological deficits build up, and the bigger the crash when you either end the diet and go back to the "real" SAD world you never intended to leave, or when you fall off and into that downward spiral.
    WOW! Really well said! I remember the taste of those Lean Cuisines... BLECH! Chemicals anyone?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Carb day totals:

calories: 1675
    protein: 81g
    fat: 45g
    net carbs: 217.4g
    fiber: 42.3

carbs: 62%
    fat: 24%
    protein: 14%

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with you. I eat probably 90% primal, occasional dark chocolate or ice cream thrown in there. I'm interested to see what happens after the month and all of you return to Primal eating. Will the weight come back on when you increase your carb intake? I know I can't do low carb for long term because I become horribly depressed. I also have 2 growing kids (nearly 3 and just 5) that watch my food intake very closely so eating only 2 things all week would likely be met with strange responses. But if I see that it works for some people and they can keep off the weight, I might give it a go. I am 5'3.5" and 173lbs and would really like to finally lost all this fat. I can lift decently impressive numbers and play soccer once a week but can't seem to actually slim down.

Page 31 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast